1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10000 BC...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Storm Surge, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

has an 08% on rottentomatoes

I was making plans to see this flick but now I dont want to waste my time

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I was immediately bothered by hot prehistoric chick with no body hair in the previews. Not real.

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/movies/reviews/5574113.html

A colossally hokey saga

By AMY BIANCOLLI
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

MOVIE DETAILS
    10,000 B.C.

10,000 B.C. is its name. Pre-history is its game. But what I want to know is: Where? On which planet does it take place? Because the last time I checked, pyramids weren't built during the Pleistocene. And they weren't exactly walking distance from the last snowy remnants of a diminishing ice age.

But what a kvetch I am. So what if this colossally hokey saga mashes up history and geography and climatology and anthropology? So what if it links up land masses that have been unconnected since Pangea broke apart 180 million years ago? Who am I to complain, McGraw-Hill?

Publicity materials quote Harald Kloser (who executive produced, co-wrote and co-scored the film) saying he and director/writer Roland Emmerich "never intended for 10,000 B.C. to be a documentary,'' which is a huge relief. They also quote Emmerich on the little matter of location, helpfully pin-pointing the setting as "our own made-up Africa.''

In filmmaking terms, this means portions were shot in New Zealand (for snowy mountains), South Africa (for the jungle below) and Namibia (for the desert nearby). In narrative terms, it means that African warrior tribes can unite in a jiffy with light-skinned hunters in funky dreads to fight off kind-of Persian, sort-of Egyptian slave-masters building vaguely pre-Colombian or possibly Pharaonic ziggurats assisted by wooly mammoths. The plot, such as it is, follows our hero D'leh (pronounced "Delay,'' as in postponement or Tom) and three brave comrades as they race to save loved ones kidnapped by these whip-wielding demons on horseback.

The loveliest of the loved ones in D'leh's beloved, Evolet, who has blue eyes and a jaw-dropping ability to do absolutely nothing except stand around with her mouth open until the time comes for her to weep, at which point her perfectly applied eyeliner begins to run. Fashionistas and followers of international starlets will be pleased to learn that Evolet is played by Camilla Belle, the terror-stricken baby-sitter in the 2006 remake of When A Stranger Calls.

Steven Strait, who played Sky High's mutant flamethrower, wields a long spear and giant wig as D'Leh, while the fine kiwi actor Cliff Curtis (Whale Rider, Once Were Warriors) heroically maintains his dignity as D'Leh's rival and mentor, Tic'Tic. And if you can't quite place the crinkly narrator, that's the voice Omar Sharif. It's Dr. Zhivago's job to warn us that "some truths do not survive the ages,'' and I'm assuming he means that until now, no one knew that hunter-gatherers wore Maybelline.

Visually, 10,000 B.C. boasts the oohs and ahhs of dusky primordial landscapes, huffing slave ships and big-budget CG creatures. The mammoths are cool. The squealing killer ostriches, perhaps inspired by 70 million-year-old Gigantoraptor fossils, are idiotic but ... okay, they're idiotic. And the sabre-tooth tiger isn't so bad, though it looks about as real as Diego in Ice Age2: The Meltdown. But all the glam effects in the world add up to nil in a corny, derivative and incoherent script that dishes out cheese-fried Apocalypto with a dash of 300.

There is fun to be had, however unintentional, when D'Leh halts an advancing army by screaming "Stop! Stop!'' Or when he tells his tribesmen, "I keeled thee (mammoth). I claim thee white spear, and weeth it my woman, Evolet.'' (Tribesmen: ``Yah! Yah! Yah!'') And it's worth noting that Emmerich's last film was The Day After Tomorrow, the eco-disaster flick that foretold sudden glaciation; until I saw it, I didn't know that you could outrun frost. Here's hoping he won't make yet another movie about yet another Ice Age - for at least another 10,000 years

4. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Turned off by the premise initially...but the trailers grew on me the more I saw them. It looks very visually impressive...

But I'll definitely stay away after all these bad reviews.

5. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

the chron gave it 1/2 star today.

6. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Never have I let the critics decide for me. Scew the critics, I'm going with the attitude of enjoying it.

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

lol, 10,000 people cannot be wrong. :)

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I'm interested, but actual trips to the theater are few and far between for me at any rate. It was a rental before I read about it, it's a rental now. (Redbox, baby!)

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I think it looks great and impressive. I like the sound, too... as it makes my speakers at home vibrate. I can give a rat's ass about what ERA contains Pyramids and what Civilizations fight mammoths or sabre-toothed tigers. It's a fauhcking movie, get over it! :rolleyes:
    I SAY SCEW THEM, TOO!!! :mad:
    i don't know why, but seeing "scew" instead of "screw" made me LOL @ home
    That's right, man. They're from British Columbia, right? :confused:

;)

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

My tastes are usually in sync with critics. 8% on Rotten Tomatoes? I'm not going to waste my time or my money.

11. Omer

Omer Member

Damn I was lookin forward to watching this and was actually planning on going tomorrow.

The CGI and prehistoric theme appealed to me...but I might have to rethink now. 1/2 star and 8% on rottentomatoes is simply ridiculous.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's directed by the guy who did Independence Day & Godzilla. That means cheesey SFX and bad b-movie.

13. rz04

rz04 Member

I wonder how historically accurate it is......

14. MexAmercnMoose

lmao, excellent first post :cool:
    as far s the movie, i was planning to go see it tomorrow but i don't know now

15. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

This movie looked kinda bad from the trailers, and while I don't let a single review decide anything for me, when just about every one out there trashes it, that probably means something.

16. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Just saw it.

6 out of 10

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

the trailers don't look great but it looks like just dumb entertainment to kill some hours. sounds like a rental.

18. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Tara and I went to see it last night. We enjoyed it.

The hell with the critics. Nothing but movie snobs. I go to the movies to be entertained and have some popcorn. If I want a lesson, I'll watch Planet Earth and discovery channel.

19. what

what Member

It might be soooo bad it becomes good. Like soul plane or something!

20. Christopher

Christopher Member

So this guy made that steaming pile "The Day After Tomorrow" and someone actually gave him money to make another steaming pile?

By the way, how long does everyone think it will be before moving have moved on from 300's "Dude with pommy accents does nothing but yell" theme?

Yeah it worked in 300.....but please.....move on people!