1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10 Years of Morey Is enough

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by opticon, Apr 7, 2016.

1. caneks

caneks Rookie

When you realize that this team goes nowhere, you need to make change no matter what. It won't get worse.

Morey fans often ask who will be the better replacement? The answer is no one really knows until the next GM works for a few seasons. What we do know is the fact that Morey is not the one who can build an elite team.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe Les can order Morey to trade himself for a better GM. That would be the final asset flipping for him. :)

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think he needs to be reigned in a bit
    but I am not sure if it is time to cut bait.
    I think next year is the year for me

IMO He needs to hit on 3 things
    1. Coach
    2. Draft
    3. Free Agency

NOW
    We can cut him and have alot of cap space to play with

If he is gone this year .. . i will not weep but
    I will think we were a bit quick on the draw

Some of his moves were good hailed as successes until they weren't
    i.e. the Ty Lawson thing even Dwight was a steal

The issue is the philosophy
    It bothers me is
    1. You want 3s but you don't get 3 pt shooters
    2. Taking 3s when you have a lane to a layup or dunk --- again without 3 pt shooters
    I think the proper coach fixes these issues

Rocket River

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Morey is not the problem. Let's see what happens next year. I bet he learns from his mistakes this year.

5. dmoneybangbang

Your concept of nowhere is much different than mine.

How do we know he can not build an elite team? Based simply off his few years in the Harden era? Seems your "side" has a bit of uncertainty to it, are you prepared for that?

6. dmoneybangbang

That's the beauty of the 3 point philosophy that has been adapted across the league. Even with average 3 point shooters surrounding Harden, we were still a top 10 offense.

Morey wanted guys who could shoot the 3 at a decent clip and work in his defensive system that requires a lot of switching. Last year was a better balance between defense and offense.

7. opticon

opticon Member

This is a real question.

If you where a marquee free agent would you want to sign with a team whos GM is only under contract for only 2 more seasons?

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Man , it's all so simple , if only I was in charge .

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

10. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

It's confirmed. Clutchfans is only 20% original accounts and 80% secondary accounts to push your own agenda. Morey is not the problem.

11. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Coach. Who would be hired to coach this team? maybe McHale.
    Draft. Who does care 12th pick?
    Free Agency . Oh, my god! Do u guys believe Durant or other allstar would come here? why do these guys come here?

12. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Harden will want to be traded if the team can't compete champion next season

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Morey is absolutely a huge risk taker . Maybe you have to be ? I dunno . His tenure has been pretty good . Starting in 06 he really tooled a great team around Yao and tmac and made us true contenders in 09 . Unfortunately in doing so he took a calculated risk on injury prone stars being somewhat healthy .

His work 09-11 was solid given he had a mandate not to tank . Although we were stuck in purgatory we took a lot of chances on high upside players and saw a lot of guys pass through Houston . Only a few we let go turned out to be players of note , many developed into solid fringe average types .

12 he finally broke through by getting a star . He had some draft picks pan out and fieled a young 8th seed running a run and gun 3 offense style ( really bringing this style of play back into popular NBA style)

13-14 lands another "star " ( he was taking a risk here as Dwight wasn't really healthy )

14-15 takes another risk going for a 3rd star and recovers decently when it blows up . However this was the tear our team identity changed . We no longer had playmakers like Lin and parsons on the squad and became more defensively oriented by playing bev and Ariza . Luckily James and Dmo both took big steps forward and were able to produce enough even when Howard went down to secure a good record.

15-16 the unraveling . Dmo is hurt , we don't have enough playmakers , Dwights defensive decline , James slow start , firing mchale . Ty Lawson bust .

For me up until last offseason I thought Morey had done an almost perfect job given his mandates from above . To rebuild without tanking is impressive and as evidenced by last season you never know what can happen in the playoffs .

Last offseason some of moreys risks caught up with him . He banks heavily on the performance of stars and hardens slow start and dwights decline / indifference have us reeling. While I can't argue with any of the moves he made , because at the time they all looked good I still feel like we could have done a better job in the offseason .

Where I feel we ****ed up the most was in preparation for the season. On paper we had an idea of how players could have fit and roles could have been crafted . Why were players not pointed in this direction during the offseason ? I would give a lot to know what happened during the offseason and in training camp that made upper management think that firing the head coach 11 games into the season was a good idea .

That rash decision makes me think it was more of a les deal than Morey and makes me fear what kind of constraints will be out on Daryl this summer .

Tldr: I think he deserves more time , but only one more head coach pick . He had to nail it . He has to get a guy that can instill a system and teach young guys and figure out how to make vets mesh . I wouldn't even mind a rookie guy especially if he had vets on the staff .

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think Morey is worth a first round draft pick for sure. If Ainge can get one for Rivers, Morey should be able to get one for himself?

15. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Trade Morey & Brewer to 76ers for a second round draft pick