1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10 day trip to Turkey

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Zboy, Sep 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I am trying to organize a 10 day trip to Turkey for my mom and my sister.

Anyone been there or from there?

They will be staying in Istanbul for most of the stay.

Good and accessible area for hotel? Things to do?

Is Antalya worth taking a trip to?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Never been, but my company has an office in Istanbul. I heard the hotels are very cheap. So, I'd check the best area and move out from there.

1 person likes this.
  3. Win

Win Contributing Member

Wish i could say I had been there or was more of an expert, but from what I understand there are a plenitude of magnificent historical sites there if that is of interest to you.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Heard only good things from friends and family who has visited Turkey. Don't forget to visit the House of Asik doe.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Bring gravy.

6. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Stick to West Turkey?

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I've been. I stayed at a Marriott near The Blue Mosque. I recommend that area as a whole lot of stuff is within walking distance including their light rail (which runs on surface streets just like our system, anywho).

I'd suggest Turkish air and seriously consider upgrading to 2nd class, it's awesome! Even in coach, it's great. They have free in flight WiFi the whole way. Freaking awesome.

But 10 days seems excessive. Definitely venture out to some other areas. My neighbor recently went to a wedding that was on the shore and said it was amazing. I don't know specifically where they went.

8. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

Istanbul is my favorite city in the world and I've been to many.

If you're there for more than three days, I recommend staying outside of the tourist area Sultanhamet and stay on the other side of the Galata Bridge. I really like the Tunel, Galata and Taksim area. Further north along the coastline is also good. There are a lot of great large hotels but also anything from boutiques to pensioners to apart-otels and guesthouses.

Istikal Cadesi is the main cosmopolitan street, and the nightlife is great there. Also check out the Asian side of the Bosporous.

Have fun!

2 people like this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they got some hot women there

10. Buck Turgidson

This serves 10, per Martha Stewart:

1 pound fresh pork sausage, casings removed, crumbled (plus giblets, diced; optional)
    1 large onion, (about 2 cups), finely chopped
    3 celery, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
    Coarse salt and ground pepper
    2 pounds prepared cornbread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (12 cups)
    3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
    3 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1 to 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage (and giblets, if using) over medium-high heat, stirring often, until browned and cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a large bowl.
    To pan, add onion, celery, and 1/4 cup water. Reduce heat to medium; cook, scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon, until vegetables soften, about 10 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add to sausage.
    Add cornbread, sage, and eggs to sausage and vegetables. Bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan; pour 1/2 cup over stuffing, and toss gently (cornbread will break down into smaller pieces). If needed, add up to 1/2 cup more broth, until stuffing feels moist, but not wet. Stuff into turkey, using about 4 cups. Spoon remaining stuffing into a baking pan; it should reach the top. Refrigerate stuffing in pan and remaining broth separately, covered, until ready to bake.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If you find Asik, please convince him to re-sign with us next year for pennies and happily backup Dwight.

kthxbye

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Awesome country. Istanbul is fun. I'd do a side trip to Fethiye and Cappaochia (sure I'm butchering the spelling on both).