1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Sextuple Double

I like all the "Who's the #1 option talk", but in this unusual case it's McGrady. It's not everyday when you have an inside-outside combo that the outside guy is #1. This is not like Shaq/Kobe and/or Wade. McGrady is more of a decision maker and floor general than either Kobe or Wade, and is more experienced than Yao. Where as Shaq was the clear leader and more experienced with his tag team partner.

It can be said as 1A and 1B. But I feel the offense must be run through McGrady. He can make any necessary decisions with the ball and must be the guy to close out at the end of games. But there is no doubt that Yao must be established in each and every game. I would like to see us mix it up but at the same time milk the hot hand at all times.

2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

oh god...

3. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Do we really need yet another thread on this?

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Damn, TOFs are annoying. I'd take tofu over TOF any day.

For the record, T-Mac has not had very good record leading his teams to promised land, despite his superior personal stats.

5. playlife

playlife Member

There is even a poll on the SI page

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I agree with that. McGrady, usually, should be option #1. He's our best decision maker, so if he sees that Yao has the hot hand he'll make sure to get him the ball. I just think our offense flows better when McGrady is being aggressive.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly... if you ask McGrady to be nothing but a spot-up shooter, you'll get the guy who slumped when he first got here in 04, and the guy who started off the season tentative as well.

Besides, there's nobody in the league better at getting Yao the ball than McGrady... and its pretty obvious that the offense runs through him (just as it did Magic for the 80's Lakers).

8. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Since our other floor generals are guys like Rafer, Head, and JL3, that's not really an extolment on McGrady's decision making.

9. jason_long

jason_long Member

i think wade is the number 1 option in miami.

10. durvasa

True. But I think McGrady is one of the top decision makers with the ball in the league. If he's controlling the ball, other players will get good looks (particularly with that extra superstar down low drawing attention) and he'll get them the ball if they're open. It makes the offense more flexible and less predictable. We'll have less turnovers. It will also keep Yao fresher and more effective late in games. He had a tendency to tire late in games earlier in the season, I recall.

11. jordan_123

jordan_123 Member

first of all people could take what you mean the wrong way.i think that there is no 1st option on this team.yao and t-mac are our first option but t-mac has to have the ball in his hands to make the decisions.nobody is the 1st option.but because t-mac is a guard and because of what he can do,he is the one who should have the ball on offence trying to see an opening or make a pick and roll or post yao up and let him go one on one,this way everyone is involved .both are our equal number 1 option.but at the end of games pick and roll baby,pick your poison between mac and yao.pick and roll all the way

12. noize

noize Contributing Member

No such thing as #1 OPTION! Feed the HOT hand

No such thing as #1 OPTION! Feed the HOT hand!

Did you guys hear the interview from JVG after the game? It came right out of the coach's mouth. He said it doesn't matter who's #1, as long as both player come to play at the highest level and feed off each other's energy will give them a chance every night.

Man, I thought YOF were bad,but TOF like blazer-ben were out in full force after the game(Nets)...maybe they were getting a little sensitive since Yao was getting back to form and was afraid he might get the most touches? Vey immature to think like that. :rolleyes:

Also I don't get why people bring up T-Mac's record without Yao to prove he's #1 b/c it doesn't have any correlation to the effect. The team is 16-7 when both are on the flow together and it will only get better as Yao gets better. The reason why wade is #1 b/c Shaq admittedly reffered to him b/c he felt like it was the best chance for them to win. Here in Houston its different, both star player are young and they would give us the best chance to win if both equally get touches or feed the one with the hot hand, its that simple.

Me personally thinks neither should be # 1 b/c T-Mac isn't as efficient on offense then Yao(bad shot selection), and Yao isn't as good of a play maker as T_mac.

#12 noize, Mar 10, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  13. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Yeah, I seriously don't understand why some ppl here project themselves entirely onto either Yao or T-mac...we should be glad both are playing

14. ikfit

ikfit Member

I became a Rockets fan cuz yao but I really don't like a few people always focuse on YOF or TOF topics.

I've said here before yao come back, our team should use muilty methods to do our offense.

I also prefer team do not force to pass to yao cuz I think we do out-side-inside is better than inside-ourside.

No matter what, win and go deep to playoff are our target.

Go Rockets

15. SuperYanthrax

SuperYanthrax Member

Thank you very much for making my point for me. I think it's unfortunate now that the supposed YOFs have moderated their positions and accepted this, which at least I think is the optimal solution for the team, that the TOFs want to wrench the team in the other direction. It's the optimal solution IMO because the talents of both are utilized and neither is sidelined. If YOFs were castigated for not caring about the team's interest and therefore have adjusted their views, why can't McGrady fans do the same?

16. ABTRocketfan

ABTRocketfan Member

do you realize that this guy has never had any real talent around him it sounds like an excuse, but its just true.

17. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

McGrady is one of the top decision makers with the ball in the league when it comes to finding open teammates. But, he's got one of the worst shot selections of all of the top guards in the leagues. Sometimes he chucks up bad perimeter shot after shot, it really makes you shake your head. If he can pick and choose his shots better, attack the paint more, and possibly shoot a little less, he would be devastating to the rest of the league. Don't want to sound like I'm over criticizing his game, but for a player with a reputation for being so unselfish, he throws up an unreal number of shots.

18. aamir

aamir Member

I hear you guys, and I agree, the TOF and YOF stuff is a bit out of control. But someone has to start the shooting before we realize who is hot, and its a reasonable and realistic debate on who that should be. They both will be starting, after all.

Personally, I side with the TOFs on this one. T-Mac's play in the first part of the season when he was deferring to Yao was not nearly what I want/expect out of him (granted, some was due to his mental blocks), and I think he's someone that needs to establish his feelings of dominance early to get going while Yao can do it at any time. Also, the one thing that I will always love about Rafer Alston is that he recognizes that Yao and T-Mac run this team, and is awesome at making sure they get the ball. As long as Rafer is in the game (and Battier, for that matter), Yao and T-Mac are definately going to get theirs.

19. durvasa

That's a legitimate criticism. McGrady seems like a player who needs to be "unreigned' to be really comfortable on the court. He needs to have the freedom to take tough shots -- bad shots --- to be at his best.

20. fredthered

fredthered Member

Considering that before Yao came back, no one could make a contested jump shot, what do you expect? Rafer Alsoton is shooting 37%, and almost every jumper he takes is wide open. I would rather Tmac take a lot of shots then have Rafer jack up 3's and those damn floaters...without Yao, who else on our team can score? If you watched the first Boston game, you would know that answer...