1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#1 in offense. #11 in defense. #1 overall net rating

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Oct 20, 2016.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Even if all goes well, JVG pointed out the glaring hole, how we gonna score with no Harden on the floor. Huge droughts.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson were brought in for a reason.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

To me the biggest difference maker is definitely Ryan Anderson (Wtf I never thought I'd say that). What he's been doing is not a joke, Ryan Anderson has been playing like a superstar in the preseason he's been hitting shots lights out, scrapping for rebs and even defending and taking charges. It's like having prime Kevin Love on the team...if Kevin Love liked to hustle and take on contact. Out of all the signings we had I was upset with Ryan Anderson the most, mainly because I thought wtf why are we paying a role player super star money. But he has definitely impressed me on both ends this season, seeing accept the challenge and take on the other team's best big men like Porzingis and Dirk has me pumped for his performance this year.

With that said, a lot of kudos should also be given to Eric Gordon, dude is blossoming as a 3rd option and primary option when Harden sits. Some posters were throwing shade on how Rox blew their cap on "Pelicans Rejects" and are now doomed this season. Well turns out the pelly starters were actually pretty good next to Harden, where those haters at?

Mathloom likes this.
  4. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

What about Beasley... Nvm
    :(

5. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Ahem, Eric Gordon.....

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Oh don't get me wrong I do thing the Astros are set up better for the future than the Rockets or Texans. One thing that still scares me about them is Kuechel, will he ever return to form.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm only judging the performance of our likely rotation players. Our offense looks godly compared to last year and while the defense is better, it's still by no means good. Gordon, Nene, and Anderson were all good pickups. We could use Beverley back.

8. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

That's pretty interesting.

Def not the end all be all but the team is on the right track. Just need to keep building off this.

If we really want to look at things in a positive light..... imagine how well this team will be playing in 2-3 months? Having been through 40 games or so and completely gelling and figuring out were each guy likes the ball and so forth.

But what's most impressive is the defense. We know this offense is going to be great but there holding teams to mid 40s a half. I love it, watching them play they def are playing much better team D and actually closing out on shooters. (Bizdelick has the players respect)

Very impressed with the rebounding. We still need to get back in transition D but I saw a few times in the mavs game were they took away the paint and forced the mavs to set up a half court set when they were in transition and that shows that the players are actually listening to the coaching this year.

If this team can actually get into the top 12 in defense then they are without a doubt a contender in the sense that they can beat anyone in a series but the Warriors. I think that's what we shoot for and hopefully it's enough to attract a superstar to come join this core.

9. bmd

bmd Member

It was only 1 game against the Sharks. Take them out and the stats don't look much different.

10. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Makes me wonder how awesome of a team we could have been if Howard would have accepted a Starting role similar to Nene.

11. ballhandling

ballhandling Member

Take out the Sharks games

OffRtg: 110.5
    DefRtg: 100.6
    NetRtg: 9.9

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The knicks and the sharks are the same team.

13. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I see this as the main reason the Rockets will struggle this year. Outside of Harden, who can we trust to score.

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson, but Eric Gordon in particular more than anything else.

I feel like a lot of people are underestimating Gordon. He lost a bit of speed with his injuries, but he is only 27 (turning 28 end of the year) and he can definitely do a lot of damage off the bench. He is a shot creator through and through.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

The thing is, if their offense is playing well, their defense should improve also. When you are scoring the ball, it gives your team a chance to run back and set up defensively. But when your offense is bad like the Rockets last year, it gives opponent fast break chances. Even if its not a fast break, the defense still haven't settled in. One of the reasons why the Warriors are such a great defensive team is because their offense is great and they have more chances to get set up on defense.

Klutchness likes this.
  17. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

Rockets had a top 7 offense in the nba last season. It just looked ugly but thanks to Harden's greatness it was still one of the best. This season it should be top 4 this season

18. rockets13champs

I wish tht would happen. Hed be an instant star

19. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

The Rockets often struggled without Harden the past few years. JVG is right, the last few years when Harden sits, there isn't really much of a creator. I think this year if Eric Gordon can stay healthy, he will be perfect off the bench for Harden. He is a combo guard who can score and create for others. He can run the offense better than anyone else the Rockets had in the past few years besides Harden.

Another player that may be able to hold the fort down a bit is Tyler Ennis. He may not be spectacular but he thrives playing the PnR. When Harden sits, Tyler Ennis and Gordon could at least make plays and keep the offense moving. Tyler Ennis isn't going to wow anyone but he makes smart passes off the PnR and is capable of running D'Antoni's offense long enough for Harden to rest. Having Eric Gordon out there with him should help a lot.

The thing about D'Antoni's system is that they make it easier for a lot of guards. The Rockets traded for Ennis because he fits the system. Again, the Rockets are still a few pieces away from being an elite team. They need to find a wing player who is capable of running the offense, have athleticism and length to defend, score on the dribble and move without the ball. Morey still has a lot of work to do. This team is still young and developing.

20. OTMax

OTMax Member

Anderson shoots some horrible shots, I know he has the green light and I fear another McHale type season with 30% on threes averaging 30+ attempts by our whole team. Anderson is a good shooter, but some of those step backs from way out, early shot clock threes and guarded shots are just awful. He looks like a glorified Bullard at times..