1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'09 class rookies extensions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Jan 8, 2012.

1. anchel

anchel Member

I think this year the deadline for the rookie scale extensions is on Jan. 25. Do you think we will extend any of them? Maybe only Terrence? None of them?

1 person likes this.
  2. arjun

arjun Member

terrence and jordan...i hope we can trade both of em..but im sure we will extend their rookie contracts

hasheek and flynn..**** NO

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'll be surprised of we pick up Jordan's option.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Correct. From everything thats been reported this is the most likely scenario. I believe the end of January is when the deadline is for extensions I believe. Not 100% on the date but I believe its around then.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Also the deadline to exercise the third-year option on Patterson, which is a no-brainer YES.

Agree, no-brainer NOs on Thabeet and Flynn.

I'm anxiously anticipating the decisions on Hill and Williams. It really could go either way on those two.

Had Hill shown more consistency and awareness, especially on defense, these past two weeks, I think it would be a safe bet that his option gets picked up. But it's a question mark right now.

If Williams has really been a good soldier so far, and if McHale and Sampson are satisfied with his development on both ends, then I suppose you pick up his option. So much talent there.

Like others have said, it'll be interesting to see if Morey trades/finds a taker for either of them between now and the option exercise deadline. The receiving team may want to have that option to exercise (or not) post-trade.

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

The '09 draft class may have been one of the better classes, a possible 3 rookie of the year winners(Griffin, Evans, and Rubio).

Morey got all the wrong guys. Banish Thabeet, Hill, and anybody else.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

On Twill any indications that he is going to be a Jrich or Maggette with better passing?

8. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

T-Will: needs to play some meaningful minutes, and take charge when on the second team. This doesn't mean ignoring Dragic and ball hogging, it means be the scorer, drive to the basket, hustle & play D. Show and prove. I believe that T-Will has All-Star talent, but hasn't been used correctly and has been too tentative when out there, looking to pass more than play his game. Extend him, keep him & play him.

JCHill- can play, needs to be more consistent and play the 4 more than the 5.
    Extend him, double double potential.

Thabeet- in lust over his height and athleticism. Could be a serviceable back up shot blocking center, but we may never find out because THEY REFUSE TO PLAY HIM!!!
    Imagine letting him go somewhere and he was a diamond in the rough?
    Maybe don't extend but resign him, just in case. At 7'3" he could block shots with his head.

Errol Flynn- ???? He is quick, but.....meh
    No extension. Send him to D league to polish his game.

9. anchel

anchel Member

So I guess those are factors that influence why Hill has been playing all this time even doing it worse and worse every game.

This, and of course the fact that at the deadline you have to make an irrevocable decision about the player, normal that they want to see him as much as possible until then.

I guess that if passed the deadline the Rockets have decided to not extend his contract, the player is losing all the value that he could have... as a future unrestricted FA, what team would give you something for him?

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would consider extending Terrence.

I think the rest have zero trade value, and need to go...

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No on all of them.

DD

12. Damion Laverne

I second that!

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They will none of them get extensions. Maybe Williams, he is the cheapest.

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

They were purposefully brought in so they could in aggregate create a large expiring contract and that's what they will be used for. All four will be gone.

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Because Griffin, Evans, & Rubio were to attainable...

16. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

We need space for 2012. None of them are keepers anyways. I dont know whats taking so long.

17. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

If they decline options, do you use their current salary or what their next years salary would've been? Trying to see exactly how much cap room it opens up. I think Dalembert also has a team option.

18. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

Don't retain Flynn or thabeet. They used to be basketball players, but then they took an arrow to their knees.

2 people like this.
  19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Come on, man! The only one of those four who was not a throw-in and who the Rockets specifically targeted was T-Will, and even then they only invested a lottery-protected first rounder.

These guys were available for a reason, and it's not like Morey valued any of them in trade as lottery picks. They were reclamation projects. Low risk, high reward. No big deal.

It's comments like this (especially from a quality poster like you) that make me question why I bother reading the GARM so often.

I wouldn't get too carried away over T-Will. He's immensely talented, but he's got a long way to go before he's on par with those guys. He might get there, but I doubt it. (T-Will, if you're reading this, man, I sure hope I'm wrong and look forward to you proving me wrong.)

anchel, I'm assuming you are (correctly) referring to the fact that any first round pick whose option is not picked up becomes an UNrestricted free agent at the end of the year. This is the one exception to young guys typically being restricted free agents.

The new CBA gives teams full Bird rights on first round picks whose options aren't picked up (the old CBA actually had restrictions on Bird rights in these situations), so any team trading for those 2009 guys could still have the ability to exceed the cap to re-sign them (even though they will be unrestricted free agents).

They don't "use" anything. Cap room is not determined by the amount of salary coming OFF the books. It's all about the salary still remaining on the books as it relates to the team maximum salary cap ($58.044M for this year and next year).

20. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

:( Jrich and Maggette are above avg player in the league. Twill is fighting for a backup spot.