1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'07 Draft is Deep..Rox must hold on to pick.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dram1, May 9, 2007.

Tags:
  1. dram1

dram1 Member

I know it is extremely early to be talking about draft. The pain hasn't totally subsided after a disappointing exit this year. But here goes...

Many have cited a lack of athleticsm on this team as a factor in our over-dependence on Yao and Tracy as our offense. I agree with this.

Luther Head is a good spot up shooter, but has zero ability off the dribble. (By the way, I think he caught that same bug that Rafer has that makes a player want to shoot anything inside the 3pt line as a tear drop, floater, or anything other than a simple fundamentally sound pull up jumper. I hope he can work on this in the off season.)

Rafer...well...Rafer is good old sub 40% Rafer...somewhat athlethic, but not the kind this team lacks, which is BTW that kind that can FINISH.

VSPAN we still don't know a whole lot about, so he is still up in the air.

Lucas, Novak, are young but lack size and athleticism respectively.

So...my whole point is...with very little in the way of Free Agents available this off season...I think the Rockets should hold on to that 26th pick as there are some very athletic guards with size within our range.

This year Draft is extremely deep. Right now www.nbadraft.net has the Rockets taking Morris Almond from Rice: 6-6 SG good scorer in a weak conference with decent but not outstanding athleticism.

Just below him is Alando Tucker...very athletic SG/SF...great size at 6-5...can finish with high efficiency..but his J needs improvement.

But the guy I really like is that freshman from Goergia Tech...PG Javaris Crittenton.

You know what? Why waste time explaining what you can see for yourselves.

Check out the projections within range of the Rockets #26. http://www.nbadraft.net :

Tell what you think???

2. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Funny, I was just looking at that and wondering why Glen Davis (LSU) was projected at #53. He's strong, athletic and at 6'8-9 he has great hands and can score. It seems like we would be looking at that type of player (PF) if available at our projected spot.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uh...6-5 isn't "great size" for any position other than point guard. His J is terrible, and he's a severely undersized 4 at this point.

Re: Glen Davis - agreed, AB. The guy can rebound, has a ton of bulk, moves pretty well, and pretty good range on his shot (though at times he falls in love with the jumper). A little bit Boozer-esque, imo -- big program, solid numbers, not explosively athletic. I think he faces questions on his weight, as well as his height.

#3 NIKEstrad, May 9, 2007
    Last edited: May 9, 2007
  4. blackistan

blackistan Member

Sean Williams

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i do like the idea or morris falling to the rockets although if guard is addressed in FA the rockets will need to go big in the draft. if they look for a big then they sean williams or maybe carl landry.

Rockets may want to try and get a 2nd and hope to luck out

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Hmmm . . . we need a SG with size . . . great athleticism . . . good defense . . . I wonder where we could find such a player.

Oh, I know! He's sitting on the frickin' bench! His name is Kirk Snyder.

CD and Morey made a brilliant trade last summer for Snyder, basically STEALING him from the Hornets. Dude was the starting SG on a Hornets team that made a serious playoff push. While I love Van Gundy, perhaps his biggest mistake was not playing Snyder more, especially when it became apparent that Bonzi would not be a part of the rotation.

As someone who has gone to several Rockets games this season, I have noticed that Van Gundy is particularly hard on Snyder. He basically screams at him EVERY SINGLE TIME Snyder misses a defensive rotation or even misses a shot. I did not see Van Gundy being nearly as hard on Luther Head for the exact same deficiencies. Yet, there Head was, completely clueless on defense in the playoff series against the Jazz, missing shots, passing up open looks that the team worked hard to create; and JVG does nothing. Snyder only got into a couple of the games for spot minutes when we had foul trouble. I couldn't believe how JVG didn't try to use Snyder to match up against Matt Harpring (who was KILLING Head) or Kirilenko.

Bottom line: The Rockets already have an athletic SG. McGrady and Battier are going to play the lion's share of the minutes at SG and SF. The remaining minutes should go to Luther Head (assuming he isn't traded) and to Kirk Snyder. Perhaps Spanoulis will get a few minutes at SG depending on matchups, although I'd like to give him a chance at PG.

The Rockets should be looking to draft a PG with good size and athleticism to back up Rafer next season or an athletic PF to share time with Chuck Hayes. No need to spend the first rounder on a backup to the team's best player.

7. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

Yeah, no more undersized players at any position please.

8. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

that is who I think they will take, Morey has watched this guy since day 1 in Boston

9. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Javaris Crittenton is a name I have mentioned several times. He is 6'5, very atheletic and only 19 years old. Most mock drafts i have seen project him 2-5 picks ahead of where we are, which seems like a reasonable draft day trade up prospect. He wouldn't start for us most likely, but could play a Sam Cassel type role perhaps which appears to be what we need most atm.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree, I think the rockets will have a good shot in this draft at picking up an athletic 4 with size.

11. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

*sigh* I just remember how much time was spent by all of us on this board doing mock drafts, research, loggin in, writing analysis, reading articles and then it was like we didn't even have a draft night...

All I remember was Clutch's front page pics of "What?!" right after and Jerry West "Punking" JVG and CD for MONTHS afterwards... :(

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Chad Ford claims there is decent chance Crittenton may go late lottery or just right outsided the lottery.

13. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I thought he lost a ton of weight this year.

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'm kind of shocked Glen Davis would be rated that low, I think he'd be a good fit at PF

15. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

I'd trade the pick.

We must win now.

16. himself

himself Member

I would try to pick Afflalo,let Shane play the 4,and try to trade for either Camby to back both 4 and 5 or trade for Herrman to come of the bench,these and few minor changes should take us a long way.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

theres another guy on BC, Dudley that impressed me in the tourney.

he doesnt blow you away with anything but he is a tough, smart player with well rounded skill. could be had in 2nd if rockets pick up a pick there

18. LFE171

LFE171 Member

someone, i forgot who, mentioned that big baby is the 2nd coming of mo taylor. id pass on that if it were true.

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Much too small for our Power Fortward of the Future

20. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I hear you loud and clear!! I wonder if Morey and Les are listening?