1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

06 Dunk Contest in Houston better than 08

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Storm Surge, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g3dXfFZ6SH0&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g3dXfFZ6SH0&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ss3kdLXJw9A&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ss3kdLXJw9A&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

If you got rid of all of Nate's missed dunks which overshadowed the contest, his dunks were actually really good, Iguodala IMO should have won anyways though. Some of his dunks were sick.

2. TheParrotIsNoMo

The dunk contest in Houston was better than this years dunk... The festivities in New Orleans For the All Star Weekend Blows Houston Festivities out of the planet...

3. jlwee

jlwee Member

Dunk and difficulties wise 06 is better than 08. For entertaiment values and creativities 08 is better than 06!

Josu Smith 2 handed dunk from free throw is underrated!

4. jlwee

jlwee Member

Also want to add it, 08 was too predictable, you know right from the start Dwight Howard gonna win it.
    The Vote now by fans are just plain stupid and unnecessary, is a popularity contest ala american idol style. How many total minutes has Green played this season? Of cause Howard gonna win it. The league tried hard to promote D. Howard and they definitely have achieved it!

5. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Nevermind that he would have won it had the decision been made in the traditional manner.

6. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Iguodala should've been in this year's contest

7. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I think Carter still has a lot left in the tank to blow any of these chumps away.

8. yobod

yobod Member

Right, because if the judges had been left to make the decision, they would have chosen Gerald Green? Garbage. Dwight Howard deserved it....and if anything, he pushed the dunk contest to the next level now for years to come....much like MJ and Nique did in '88.

9. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

"They need to get him some playing time, he's got way too much time on his hands."

-Charles Barkley

10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Anybody who thinks the 2006 slam dunk contest holds a candle to 2008's is crazy or a ridiculous houston homer.

Howard did at least 2 dunks better than anything done in 2006, and 3 depending on your feelings towards "superman."

11. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

The fan vote text in is so they can make this little thing called money.

12. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

You forgot the part about Nate taking FOREVER!

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

08 >>> 06. And it's not even close.

The Birthday Cake, Superman, and Howard's left hand-right hand were three of the best dunks I've seen in a long, long time. I remember Vince Carter's dunk contest as being surreal - I'd like to go back and watch his again and compare.

14. Prettyfly

Prettyfly Member

How about 07?

15. jlwee

jlwee Member

Did i say Howard doesnt deserve to win? :confused: I said the voting format is stupid, that's all!

16. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I have to agree.....you must be blind or have no clue how difficult and innovative the dunks were in this year's contest. My rankings from this year's dunk contest.

1. Howard behind the backboard
    2. Howard tap off the backboard
    3. Green's birthday cake dunk.
    4. Howard's Superman dunk (it wasn't close to being a dunk at all) but still impressive. This would be my #1 choice if he actually dunked it.

08 > than any year

17. Bigmarky

Bigmarky Member

my fav was the first one with vc and stevie

franchise woulda won any other year, his hops were crazy for a PG

VC can't do anything besides the same few dunks, hence why KS gave em a 9 not a 10 on that 2nd dunk

D.Howard really impressed me, and dunks rarely impress me anymore - superman was just a huge man flying but the bounce left dunk right

v.games dont do that yet....
    the cookie jar thing that VC did that everyone thought was knew had been done just not in the nba

18. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Personally, I liked 2005. Perhaps thats because Im a big Josh Smith fan, but I did like that one alot. That was the one where Josh Smith put on the Dominique Wilkins jersey, Steve Nash did the soccer passes to Amare Stoudamire, etc..Good Fun.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

2000 with Stevie, T-Mac and Vince was the best for me. I believe that was the last time where "anyone" could join the contest. Now, it's only the young guys because big namers like Lebron are too scared. Wilkins, Dr. J and MJ are all rolling in their graves.

20. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Whoa! 'Nique, MJ, & The Doctor all died? :eek:

What a sad day for sports... ;)