1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

05-06 Season, why were the Clippers better than the Rockets?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Aug 5, 2010.

?

Why were the Clippers better that year?

1. Their highest paid player > Rockets highest paid player

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. point guard play

16 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. coaching

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Sam Cassell

40 vote(s)
    45.5%
  5. Yao + Tmac = fake batman and robin, more like Ren and Stimpy

25 vote(s)
    28.4%
  1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

for the record i was at the valentines day game where the Rockets won going away.

I had to deal with a lot of crap from my (now ex) gf at the time for going to the game.

the people behind us in livingston jerseys were getting pissed keith bogans went off on them

and I sat next to Clipper Darrell he wasnt to happy either

2. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

That 05-06 season was one that I want to forget. I had high expectations for that season. But then I think Tmac got injured early. I then I remember thinking that Yao at the point of his career was incapable being the lone go-to guy on a team, since we lost many games even with Yao in the lineup. Then, when Tmac came back, there was still a small hope for a push for a playoff push. But then I think Yao got hurt shortly after that. I'm not sure if my memory is correct though... it was a season that you wanted to just forget.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

on the first meeting, it's interesting to see who got all the shots

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200512170LAC.html

the Clips have 3 dudes who attempted 16 shots

while the Rockets have one dude who attempted 28 shots

4. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

God damn, tinman, let it go!

Stop living in the past. Get over it, we get it you don't like T-Mac! Everyday you make a thread about him.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

every day? that means i made 365 threads about him.

Your mind says Tmac, this is about the legend Sam Cassell and at age 36 went to the worst franchise of all time and made them win a playoff series.

While the Rockets with 2 young studs can't get it done.

6. AGBee

AGBee Member

Tinman has the biggest boner for T-Mac I've ever seen.

1 person likes this.
  7. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Well in fairness, Brand was having an all-star year and Kaman was a legit 20-10 center.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

What happened to Brand the year before? and post Cassell?

1 person likes this.
  9. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I love the fact that I saw this thread title, saw who posted it and without even clicking on it knew that "Sam Cassell" was going to be an option.

Tinman -- keep preaching on my fellow '99 brotha!

10. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

No one doubts that Sam was a winner. He had a similar impact when he was with the Twolves joining Garnett and Sprewell. But this idea of blaming our two star players for not getting past the first round is getting really old.

There were too many factors in the playoffs to logically put all the blame on Tmac and Yao. Only in two of the four playoff series during the Tmac-Yao era were both healthy. The one series in Dallas is overshadowed by supposed referee bias against Yao following Mark Cuban's complaints. In one of the Jazz series, Rafer was injured for the first couple of game, leaving us with no point guard to set up the offense. In the Dallas series, Juwan's injury forced us the play Ryan Bowen against Dirk Nowitzki. I feel like this thread is a more blatant criticism of Tracy, but many argue that it was the Yao-Boozer mismatch on defense which hurt us the most (same for Yao-Van Horn in Dallas series). Other possible factors are JVG predictable offense being unable to adjust to changing matchups and gameplay, Luther Head's disappearing acts, lack of a third scoring threat, lack of height in rebounding struggles, lack of speed in the backcourt, and a very short bench depth. If you wanna blame Tmac and Yao more anything, blame them for always being injured.

I do agree with your idea that a team should not be built on "2 young studs", especially two that are so fragile. This is why I like what Morey and Adelman are doing right now. They are building a more team-oriented team with more depth, so that the team's success is not dependent on an individual. When key players (Yao, Battier, Ariza, Martin, Lowry) were out, the team still managed to win games against tough opponents. The 12-man roster now is way better than it was in 2005-2006.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Daryl Morey and Rick Adelman, those dudes are pimps.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Bad poll - didn't include Boniface N'Dong as an option.

Seriously, I get the attempt at humour in this post, but it doesn't quite work...

Sorry tin - this one just aint funny (although the N'Dong sideline was).

1 person likes this.
  13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

clips were better b/c they were uglier?

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Anomaly. Bound to happen one out of the 50 years of existence.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Elton Brand then was as good as Nowitzki is now IMO.

16. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Tinman, this trolling is a tad beyond fun n games. Crossing the lines here buddy.

1 person likes this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

there's tons of facts on this thread, it can induce inception. i'm the architect, you fill the rest in with your subconscious.

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

This was a bizarro backwards year. There was a dimensional warp in the universe that allowed an influx of cross channeling of dimensional anomalies that caused teams like Clippers to be good for one year. Probably never gonna happen again where the world passes through this rip in the space time continua :eek:

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Nice, Basketball Reference has photos of players now. Good choice of team and uni to choose for Cassell
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cassesa01.html
    [​IMG]

Remember if it weren't for this, Clippers might have went to the conference finals

20. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

the clippers in that season had a better record than the lakers and advanced more in the playoffs (clippers 2nd round, lakers 1st round). :cool: