1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[00's] Worse decade since the 30's.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kyakko, Nov 28, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

It's been a good decade for technology.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Technically, the decade runs from the beginning of 2001 to the end of 2010. We've still got another year.

Yes, I'm one of those people.

4. Steve_Francis_rules

Actually, technically, a <a href="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/decade">decade</a> is defined as a period of 10 years. So it can start on any year.

5. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

This decade has seen way too many disasters and devastation all around the globe,both in nature or economy.

Indonesian tsunami that took away so many lives,Katrina that took a swath through the Crescent City,so and forth. :eek: What a cursed decade we've been through.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Meaningless hyperbole. I'd probably like to hear from some of the old-timers on this one; but I gotta figure '68 - '80 was both terrifying and discouraging all at the same time: the best leaders were all getting murdered, and the ones that replaced them were either maniacally corrupt or woefully outmatched. The most popular musicians were dropping like flies. One could conceivably argue that the only thing that ended the worst war in our history, Vietnam, was the worst Presidential scandal in our history, Watergate. Even though the stock market's had the same awful performance; we don't have double-digit inflation that, at the time, could only be tamed with double-digit interest rates.

7. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

How did watergate end the vietnam war?

I also don't think the Vietnam War was our worst war. It was a long drawn out war that we did not win, but when you compare the number of casualties in Vietnam to the casualties in the Civil War and WW2, it pales in comparison. Of course, I'm not trying to diminish the service of the soldiers who faught in Vietnam, I'm just making a comparison to the other wars.

I would say the 60's was the worst decade since the 30's. The 60's had the Vietnam War and the assassinations of leaders like JFK, MLK, and RFK. Race riots and anti-war demonstrations were common in the 60's. It was certainly a time of social revolution in many ways, which was not a bad thing, but it was a painful and diffucult time in our history.

Some people I'm sure would say that the 60's was our greatest decade because of the strides we made in regard to human rights.

So, the 60's may have been both the best and worst decade since the 30's

#8 Rip Van Rocket, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I think the decade of the Black Plague may have been worse.

The fact is, more is generally known about disasters and things as we move forward into the information age. 20 years ago a Tsunami in Indonesia might warrant a paragraph on page 3 rather than the whole world seeing personal accounts on You tube. The next change will probably be an overload of disaster where people know of them but just can't muster much concern.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They'll all get ****tier as symptoms of overpopulation aggregate: global warming, weapons proliferation etc.....welcome to the rest of our lives! :)

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Add REALITY TV SHOWS to that. Bleagh... :(

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Reality shows were some of the darkest times in television. I am grateful that the sitcoms have returned in full force.

13. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

The crying baby on the cover is apt. Things have never been better imo

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Isn't it supposed to be "worst" decade? It is the superlative, isn't? :confused:

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Perhaps....too good.

[​IMG]

There goes even more jobs.

16. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I blame Creed and Nickelback for the entire debacle.

1 person likes this.
  17. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

I see this mistake all the time. I'm glad you pointed it out. It's just as bad as using dominate instead of dominant. "Hakeem Olajuwon was such a dominate center." Wrong!

I know you're a notorious grammar corrector, so I'll leave it to you. People seem to get really offended more often than not when you correct them, so I try not to do it. Not sure why. You come across as more intelligent when you use proper grammar.

Now waiting for the inevitable "irony" when someone corrects this post.