1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Ty Lawson a top 10 point guard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nimo, Jul 22, 2015.

?

Is Ty Lawson a top 10 point guard?

1. Yes

65.8%
  2. No

34.2%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

This sounds horrible to say but it might have the opposite reaction. Maybe the alcohol gave him the edge he needed on the court.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Rose is awful.

Shell of his former self.

3. tdo

tdo Member

Rose has to be the most overrated player in the league right now. He averaged 17 ppg last year on 40% from the field and 28% from 3. He also had a horrible assist/turnover ratio. He averaged 4.9 assists and 3.2 turnovers. Please explain to me how that is considered good for a PG. I don't care about rust or all the other excuses, until he proves he can play at a high level again, you can't consider him an elite player. He just was not very good last year. The funny thing is, not only did he shoot awful from 3, but he took over 5 attempts per game!!! That is some chunking that makes JR Smith smile.

Also, I know offensive and defensive rating per 100 possessions is heavily dependent on who you play with, but I find it pretty telling that his ratings last year were 97 for offense, and 108 for defense. A -11 net rating is inexcusable for a PG of a "contender" in the East. For comparison Lawson, who was on a terrible lottery team, had a 113 offensive rating and a 111 defensive rating. Again, I understand it is a flawed individual stat, but Lawson played with a much worse team which makes his +2 net rating look insane next to Rose's -11. I would easily, easily put Lawson ahead of him. I also think Parker's best days are behind him, and his reputation is the only thing that keeps him in the top 10.

4. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Harden had 321 TO last year in 2981 minutes played compared to 185 TO for Ty Lawson in 2665 minutes. Or per 36 minutes: 3.9 TO for Harden, 2.5TO for Lawson

It's difficult to predict how they will run the offense but at the very least Lawson should have the ball to run the offense 50% of the game that Harden was trying to direct the offense. Less physical and mental fatigue for Harden should lead to more effective shot and pass selection that leads ultimately to more points. Harden should in turn help Lawson’s numbers. Lawson will now be passing to one of the league’s best scorers and defense will not be able to double him effectively. I think our team TO should be down by 2-3 per game.

I can’t tell you enough how I believe the best way to improve our team was to get a LOW turnover/high assist, penetrating PG that can make free-throws at 77% and hit 37% from 3point range. We just became a top 3-5 offensive team if we stay and get healthy for the most part of the season. We are going to play FAST, lots of easy buckets.

I know defensively he is lacking but there won’t be any drop off from the Jet/Prig standard we had in the play-offs. Lawson just needs to get off the sauce and get serious.

1 person likes this.
  5. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

Curry
    Paul
    Westbrook
    Lillard
    Wall
    Irving
    Lowry
    Conley
    Dragic
    Bledsoe
    Rose

No.

He's top 15 though. Let's get serious. He's a very good point guard on offense but he has trouble guarding his shadow.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Top 10 in blood alcohol level. Why are the Rockets suddenly morphing into the Dallas Cowboys?

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I'd put him in between Lowry and Irving then once season ends he will be right under Westbrook, Paul and Lillard.

8. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

without a doubt

9. HRox832

HRox832 Member

1. Curry
    2. CP3
    3. Westbrook
    4. Wall
    5. Kyrie
    6. Lillard
    7. Conley
    8. Bledsoe
    9. Dragic
    10. Teague

I think Lawson is somewhere in the 11-13 range

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

This is where NBARank had him beginning of last season:

1. Paul
    2. Westbrook
    3. Curry
    4. Parker
    5. Lillard
    6. Wall
    7. Irving
    8. Dragic
    9. Rose
    10. Lowry
    11. Conley
    12. Rondo
    13. Bledsoe
    14. Lawson

In this year's NBARank, I'm confident that Parker, Rondo and Rose will fall off some. He's definitely ahead of Rondo at this point, and IMO he's at the same level as a Lowry, Dragic, Bledsoe and Rose by now.

FWIW, NBARank had Rubio at 20 last season.

11. ekingjames12

ekingjames12 Contributing Member

I'd take Curry, Paul, Westbrook, Wall, Lillard, Conley, Irving, Teague, Lowry, and Parker over Lawson. So no.... I think Rondo and Rose have fallen off. Bledsoe and Dragic are right there where Lawson is so I'd say those are debatable.

12. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

13. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I think his offense (driving, fast break, assists) will be the most valuable asset for THIS Rockets team. I think playing with our better players, his numbers could possibly go up, even though he will have to share the ball with Harden. I don't think his defense will hurt us as much because of Ariza and Howard. Plus I expect more effort from him on that end playing for a contender.

Of course all of this is contingent upon him getting his off court issues settled, which I think he will....hopefully.

I would rank him top 10 in the league because of his offense and some of the other elite guards aren't so great on defense either. But for our team, what we needed, and what we got him for, I rank him #1!

14. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

1-Curry
    2-Westbrook
    3-Irving
    4-Paul
    5-Lillard
    6-Rose
    7-Wall
    8-Lawson
    9-Lowry
    10-Conley
    11-Teague
    12-Bledsoe
    13-Parker
    14-Dragic
    15-Holiday

15. roidrage

roidrage Member

Third in the league in assist how could he not be?

16. Exiled

Exiled Member

Paul: the best pure PG
    Curry: 2nd to Chris
    Westbrook: negative impact
    Wall : best PG in the East
    Irving: good but scoring is his priorities
    Lilliard : without his game winner against us, he is an over paid over rated PG
    Dragic : could't do a thing for the heat in weak Eastern C.
    Lowry : was helpless v. Wall, overrated like Dragic by Clutchfans
    Parker: passed his prime
    Conley: excellent PG
    Teague: 2nd tier PG
    Rose : injury prone

So this could make Ty among the best 5 PG. or at least , he is better than our typical 27th to 30th ranked PG we'v had in the last a few seasons

17. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

It's funny once a player becomes rocket how these conversations turn lol...

1 person likes this.
  18. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

paired up with Harden he's got the potential to be top 10 this year. Another way I look at this is that we didn't need a top 10 point guard to begin with but now that we have one it's gonna be overkill being that we have the top 1/Top 2 Scoring Guard already in Harden.

So I guess to me it really doesn't matter where Lawson ranks because it's gonna be a Krazy tandem to watch regardless. Lotta breaking ankles!

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Maybe just a liiiittle over-simplified, haha.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

IMO, could be better than Irving, Lillard, Bledsoe, Dragic, Teague, Lowry.

Can't wait to find out.