1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin live on SI Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fighton, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Fighton

Fighton Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/sinow/#2014-06-10

- carmelo better pure scorer then harden
    - coaching a HUGE factor in free agents picking teams - effects how you're used, the system, the comfort level, etc.
    - doesn't care much anymore about all the trade rumors, and won't be surprised if he's traded. just happy to be playing ball for a living.
    - the rockets do have a reputation of making trades out of left field and that does have players on their toes but respects morey and thought he's done a great job as GM.
    - another star would help, but mainly, the team needs another year together.
    - howard has more pressure on him to win then harden
    - howard and harden needs to learn to get going at the same time, rather then taking turns with the scoring.
    - fisher would make a good coach. former PG's make better coaching prospects.

not sure if the interview is archived but a pretty good one.

1 person likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Can't find the video yet but from those paraphrased comments it defenitly sounds like a guy who is all but certain he is not staying with the team next season.

3. Play07

Play07 Member

Dang Lin said all that ?

4. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Member

trade him & asik to the lakers for nothing and get it over with.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What's up with the dramatic posts in here? Sounds like a decent interview.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

7. Fighton

Fighton Member

what's wrong with what he said? nothing earth shattering. not like he's saying anything we don't know about. i'm actually glad he's able to state his opinions rather than canned answers.

8. Fighton

Fighton Member

and by the way, i'm just paraphrasing here, so didn't capture his tonality. from the look of it, i'd say he's pretty content right now. truly just happy to be playing ball for a living.

9. AkeemTheDreem86

I didn't last 45 seconds on that site till I clicked on Kate Upton.

10. j3i

j3i Member

I clicked on Kate Upton till I didn't last 45 seconds.

1 person likes this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I did figure on the coaching thing.

Players look at who's coach on a prospective team and think, "Great!" or "Ugh!"

NenĂª, when recruited, had serious questions about playing for McHale.

Although, of course, supposedly Love, er, loved playing for McHale. As does Parsons. (Too bad the only way to get Kevin Love would involve trading Harden for a top 3 lottery pick and routing it to Minnesota; but I digress.)

As to the interview, you gotta like Jeremy Lin. It's just not a fit on this team, especially for his salary.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Say what you want about him as a player, but its hard to not root for him as a person. Still very humble, down to earth, and smart.

Really seems to have accepted the fact that he's probably going to be traded it seems. Noted Morey's transaction record, and realizing that's what has made him successful in the past so he's not going to be shocked if he's traded.

If the Rockets strike out on a all-star player, I might be in the minority here but I'd rather the Rockets just allow him to play out next year rather than trade him just to trade him & especially have to give away assets to get rid of his contract.

1 person likes this.
  14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but we won't get a chance to strike out on a free agent unless we get rid of him and Asik first correct?

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I agree. Dragic (one of my favorite players in the league and have followed him fairly closely since his breakout game v. San Antonio) at this point in his career appeared to be on a similar trajectory where he had flashes of brilliance but wasn't putting it together consistently yet. I still believe Lin has the ability to be a very very good player in this league.

My hope for this offseason is that we can sign a nice 3 and D and one of Jones or DMO take huge strides (I think DMO has more room to grow and has a better work ethic). I like this group of guys and I think Asik is the only player who should be traded (of course this is assuming he doesn't want to be on the bench and assuming / we don't want to try big ball again). Asik could be moved for a very good PF like Thaddeus Young (or more preferably Paul Milsap but I think his value is too high at the moment due to his amazing 13/14 campaign and his favorable contract) + some other pieces and then sign a new backup C through free agency (Spencer Hawes would work despite his putrid defense).

16. Fighton

Fighton Member

i think any reasonable person would do the same. what's the point of freeing up cap space if you don't have anyone worthwhile to spend it on? especially if freeing up that cap space would cost you an asset? doesn't make sense at all unless he's a cancer on the team.

17. rocketseagles07

I agree completely. It's his fans that make you hate him because to be honest if it wasn't for them I'd wish nothing but the best for the guy

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not really. I see the most likely scenario of a Asik/Lin trade being set up beforehand and not actually completed until Morey knows for sure what player he's bringing in first.

I look at the July 5th, 2013 date when GS/Utah did the trade to open up cap space to sign Iggy as sort of a strategy to keep in mind. I'd be surprised if Morey traded Lin and/or Asik before they knew exactly what they had lined up & I think you see something happen all at once within a few hours rather than happening weeks before.

I think its very important for people to realize how difficult its going to be to make all of this happen, and if for some reason Morey can't get it done, its more likely than we'd think that Morey ends up backing out of trades at the last minute cause he can't get his 3rd star. I think Morey can get it done(3rd star), but its less likely than some would think given the high degree of difficulty to do so much in so little amount of time.

Remember.... Morey already backed out of a Asik trade once before that was pretty much a forgone conclusion to happen. If the Rockets are striking out in free agency with their guys, and the deal to move Asik/Lin isn't making the team better (which it wouldn't if they aren't getting a stud in free agency/trade) than I fully expect Morey to back out of deals lined up to move their salary because at the end of the day.... Asik & Lin are still valuable contributors to this team & you can't lose them for nothing.

#18 dobro1229, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If the Rockets fail to make a premium free agent acquisition in the summer, then they have really no reason to trade Lin or Asik for salary relief in the summer. It would likely cost asset to trade Lin's salary and an Asik salary-relief trade will only return a fraction of the talent that HOu trades out in Asik. So, why give up value to create cap room if that cap room doesn't get turned into a premium free agent.

In terms of salary flexibility, the Rocket are better off just keeping these two expiring contracts and try to make a mid-season trade with them (plus other assets) and/or, if Parsons' cheap option is picked up, keeping them all season and play the 2015 summer free agent market.

20. Fighton

Fighton Member

somehow i don't think morey would get rid of them for cap space if he's not certain the player he wants is coming.