1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets hope to trade Omer Asik by December 19th

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Someone mentioned Camby and I think there is a reason why he has been kept around.I'm sure the medical staff are keeping an direct eye on his progress. Once Omer is gone, I can see someone like Brewer being included in the packiage to make a roster space for Camby if he heals up.

2. TheTruth1

TheTruth1 Rookie

Actually no Rockets official has ever said that Lin WASN'T "outplayed" by Bev. In fact the Rocket's announce team said just the opposite that BEv "earned" the starting spot and outplayed Lin to get it. They said it numerous times at the beginning of the Season.

Mchale has never publicly explained his reason for Lin demotion except some evasive PS spin about "two starting point guards" even though one actually starts and the other backs hi up and plays less minutes LOL.

Chandler and AB have also referenced Bev outplaying Lin to get the starting spot and setting a better Tempo interviews. Whither you agree with that or not that's is the narrative of the rockets organization, announce team and coaches and players.

A quick check of the numbers will back this narrative up btw.

3. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

I'm not saying Beverly outplayed Lin during pre-season or vice versa. I'm saying that's the general perception outside of clutchfans. I do agree with you though that Beverely doesn't seem to be playing good enough to justify remaining a starter on this team.

Why should Asik be happy spending another year on the bench? He paid his dues at the Bulls, worked his way up, showed himself to be an excellent starting centre, and in my view the most important player on the Rockets last season.

He has every right to want out and to force the move rather than wait around to be used as a pawn in Morey's mysterious machinations so that the Rockets can get maximum benefit. The Rockets were pretty ruthless in upgrading his position and pushing him to the bench, why should he not look out for his own best interest first and foremost?

Like someone else said earlier, it's just business. He's doing what he feels is best for him personally and professionally. And I don't begrudge him for it.

4. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

He has a legal contract meaning the Rockets management can decide his fate till the duration of his contract.He can whine and pout, but instead he should have put the team successes ahead of himself. He could have got 20 to 24 minutes a night and be part of a contender for the forseeable future.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rockets gave him a chance of his lifetime. Gratitude would be welcome here.
    Name 10 other teams that would have started Asik who had very limited minutes with the Bulls.

Yeah the business side of the NBA is ruthless but Rockets also MADE THIS ASIK VERSION.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Asik is not one of my favorites so he can go wherever he pleases.
    Just give us something useful in return

7. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Yeah hoping for Millsap,we would have a Great PF Rotation with him and TJones.

8. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

The Rockets gave him an opportunity based on his stats. He repaid that by helping the team to get to the playoffs and acquitted himself incredibly well on a talented young team.

I don't see why he should give up a year of his career, especially at this critical juncture in gratitude.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

OB-viously. From this thread and from others.

Goodness gracious. Are you Greek or something? (I can't even remember who invaded who.)

He'll be gone soon enough. Take it easy.

10. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

my question now is what next? I mean after we trade asik and get whomever, lets say Milsap for arguments sake, are we really then a championship caliber team then?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

The non-reliable Sam Amico:

The Philadelphia 76ers are one of the teams linked to Houston Rockets center Omer Asik, who reportedly is about to be moved. One league executive told FOX Sports Ohio not to rule out the Celtics or Milwaukee Bucks, either.

• The Rockets would certainly have to take back salary in any deal involving Asik (two years at more than $21 million), but it's pretty obvious they'd like a draft pick or two as well.

12. Play07

Play07 Member

This trade situation is like waiting to see if howard was going to Houston this summer. Want be as big as thrill but I would say its going to be half of the Howard signing which still is alot if you think about.

I still remember where I was when I found out, at the zoo in san Diego on vacation, I got the espn update & looked up and smiled at my girl & she already knew what happened because we both had been talking about it for a month and knew some kind of news was going to happen that day. Hope this one is half as fun !

13. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Weren't you the Same Guy WHO Said Asik has more value than Dwight?

14. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

The NBA takes 15 years from you at most, during which time you're rich and famous. Afterwards, you retire as a 35-year old multi-millionaire. Happiness is over-rated.

15. Play07

Play07 Member

yeah and if u read my post I also said I was happy about howard coming here and went to the his signing event this summer outside the Toyota center ! Wanted both really said we should keep asik. I wasn’t quick to write asik off because of the effort he gave us last year which helped us make the playoffs.

Howards knocking down free throws at a better rate now & dream will be back allstar break until the end of the season to help him with his post moves. Hoping this will limit the turnovers which cause "wasted possessions". Howard was great yesterday 20-22 good he is here and sense asik is not happy & not going to give that same effort as last year now I’m ready to trade him and see how morey can upgrdae the roster.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

David Aldridge:

My guess -- and it's a guess, at this point -- is that Asik goes East. I've speculated that I think a deal for Milwaukee's Ersan Ilyasova would make a lot of sense, given that the Bucks could certainly use another big to go with Larry Sanders and John Henson. Plus, Ilyasova got that big deal from the Bucks a couple of years ago, in part, because of his 45 and 44 percent shooting on 3-pointers from 2011-13 as much as his rebounding. Shooting that would fit right in playing alongside Howard as a stretch four. But Morey also has a familiar face in Philly to work with as well in 76ers GM Sam Hinkie. Morey has already done a deal with Hinkie and Hinkie has a solid big man in Spencer Hawes, who is on an expiring contract who also can shoot from the outside. (ESPN.com has theorized Thaddeus Young would bit a good fit in Houston alongside Howard as well.)

The Wizards also have long coveted Asik, and he'd give them some strong insurance against having to count on the health of Nene holding up long-term. But I don't see Houston biting on a package involving, say, Martell Webster (who can't be dealt until Dec. 15, anyway) or Howard's old caddy in Orlando, Marcin Gortat.

17. mario_v

mario_v Member

Can Gortat be traded for Asik? He's already been traded once this season. He would be a great back up C.

18. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Give me Ariza/Nene for Asik/Lin!

19. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Gortat is better than Asik IMO. Dude already had 2 20/20 games this season
    Asik just doesn't have that type of ability.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No. Teams have to wait 90 days to trade a player acquired by trade I think.