1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO Series] Newsroom

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Jul 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

but there's also been a lot of buildup with don and sloan. im thinking scenes after her ex put up her nudes and then don went with her when she "confronted" him about it. I mean it's very possible, but i don't think there's going to be any kind of one night stand between the two of them. but hey, i could be wrong

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Your Obama hate is STRONG...........

3. Arthurprescott2

I hate-watch this show.

I'm a huge West Wing (1st four seasons)/The American President fan and even watched some of the unbearable Studio 60, but The Newsroom is just abjectly terrible. It's preachy without being at all insightful. Why are the relationships so central to the story? Why are the women roles such empty shells waiting to be fulfilled by a man?

Hope the show gets cancelled so Dev Patel can move on to bigger and better things.

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Dev Patel is a bright spot for sure.

5. VBG

VBG Member

I love Sloan. She's fantastic.

I like drama so I don't mind all the drama but even I wish they focused on the damn news a little more once in a while. Like actually breakdown a story instead of just focusing quickly on the most sensational news.

The relationship part should be based on one liners and witty dialogues while the news should be more of a focus with ups and downs.

Still generally like the show though.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Sorkin's fictional tv show slanders US military, sez used Sarin in Afgh. Aired while Syria likely really did &amp; US did nothing about it</p>&mdash; Benny Avni (@bennyavni) <a href="https://twitter.com/bennyavni/status/370750350103298050" data-datetime="2013-08-22T22:32:26+00:00">August 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Obviously, you don't watch the show.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think they do a sufficient job balancing the neuroses out between the men and women. Mac is a convincing leader. Will obviously has anger and stress issues. Waterston/Skinner is struggling for principles, the debate episode really contrasted his age and relevancy against the young GOP official. The two younger male producers are obviously distracted by their romantic relationships.

Sloan's character is a realistic enough commentary on female cable news anchors, but more of an amalgam between Sandra Smiths or Burnetts who are well educated and driven, but self-conscious because their original expertise is outside of journalism; and all the Willow Bay types who really just read copy and rely on their looks. Pill is too good of an actress to be given an overly stable or competent character, the potential for another performance like her In Treatment work is too good to pass up. And Leona (Fonda) and Nina (Davis), albeit supporting or recurring characters, aren't vulnerable at all, nor will Marcia Gay Harden's lawyer be. Really like Messina's work too, interesting that his cocky persona here and on Mindy Project play to completely different effects.

Patel may have better opportunities in the UK, but he probably wouldn't get much more here than Emmy-bait like an HBO drama. Unfortunately, right now, the best paying or highest profile work he'd get here would be on a sitcom, and in a much less substantive or dignified role.

9. VBG

VBG Member

Uh? That's kinda hilarious.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This is LOL funny.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

And we all know slander is its most damaging and insidious in a fictional work.

12. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

anybody still watching? just watched the most recent episode last night and i was pleasantly surprised that i liked it so much. genoa had been getting a bit stale for me.

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I've enjoyed it, I really think the show picked up once we got past the set up in the early episode.

Now that they've gotten through what caused the false Genoa story, it looks like it'll be getting very interesting.

14. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

yes, hbo sucks for not showing shows on holiday sundays

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I was freaking out yesterday and pissed that HBO hadn't posted it to HBO Go...until I realized they didn't show an episode this week.

D'oh.

In other news, HBO typically picks up shows for the next season fairly early in the current one. They have not yet done so for The Newsroom. 7 episodes into the 9 episode season and there's no guarantee of a season 3. Also, this season has been cut short, which explains some of the weird continuity issues (i.e. Maggie's hair...also, Patton Oswald was cut from this season). Apparently, HBO has made the offer and is awaiting Sorkin's answer.

I sure hope they do. It's the major reason I picked HBO back up.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No one?

Not their finest episode but I see why they did it. Just in case of not being picked up for season 3, they seemed to tie up some loose ends. I'm an unabashed Sorkin-lover and I can live with a meh episode from time to time.

I did see there was a tweet or something from Jeff Daniels that thy had been picked up for a third season. I'm glad but I'd be surprised if it went any further if they screw around too much with the relationship stuff as they did last night.

17. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

It was a good episode, not overly exciting as a finale but good.

Good to see Lisa again lol

18. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

I really like this show. But, unfortunately, the second season was not as great as the first (well, in my opinion).

19. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

in the big picture of things a disappointing season two, it started off with a lot of potential but didnt deliver, we'll see what season 3 has in store

20. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I had the same feeling, seems like they were tying a knot on a lot of story lines in case they didn't return. It was a decent episode but focused more on the relationships than anything else. The wife and I enjoyed it, not as strong as the first but still pretty good.