1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keys to winning Game 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DreaMac, Apr 21, 2009.

1. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

What do you think we will need to do in order to win this game?

1) I think we MUST put Battier on Roy to start the game and see how that works out. Roy will be aggressive and we have seen how easily he can blow by Artest. I think Shane will do a better job containing him.

2) Go to Yao early and often. If they front him, use him in a PnR or something. Yao has been knocking down that 15 foot jump shot recently. Yao has to be involved in the offense early one way or another, just to get him in a rhythm. Anytime we stop looking for him, he goes cold.

What do you guys think?

2. tested911

tested911 Member

Key to the game is everyone other than Yao to step it up because Yao will be a non factor this game with the fronting and double teams. Brooks isn't going to be hot like he was in the 1st game so I expect Von/Scola/Landry to really help out on the points. I expect Deke to come out with the same passion and Lowry to draw fouls.

And most importantly I expect/want/pray that Ron attacks the basket with a level head and makes smart decisions. He will be the real key to game 2.

I have the Rockets beating Portland in 6 games but a loss tonight :( I'm hoping I'm wrong.

3. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Do exactly what we did in Game 1. Plain and simple.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think we have to stay tight, play HARD defense and if Portland chokes, be ready to pounce.

DD

5. kevtse

kevtse Member

There will be fronting for sure. Two things:

Driving and Rebounding

6. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

In my opinion, Ron should start off. Let him try and muscle Roy around for a while. Ron will get him tired, then you put Battier on him to force him into bad shots.

As far as feeding Yao, I completely agree. Go to him early and often.

7. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Bring the D. Be patient to find the hole in defense and penetrate their weakness. They will get frustrated and blow the game. :p Go Rox !!300 style :mad:

8. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Oh and I forgot to add, when they play him 1 on 1 with the defender behind him, YAO HAS TO DEMAND THE BALL. Stop trying to be too unselfish. If they cant stop you, you have every right to take more shots than anyone else on the team.

9. Rocketsfan86

Rocketsfan86 Member

not that plain and simple. do you really think blazers would do exactly what they did in game 1? if they do that, we can do exactly what we did in game 1.

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Keep trying to get Portland to do things they're not good at. Give them the mixed up looks (like one play we had where Brooks drove midline, kicked it out to Ron then Shane who passed it back in to weak-side posting Yao who then had an easy 1-on-1) and then before they realize it, go back to our bread-and-butter playbook.

Stay one step ahead of them, and keep them guessing. Kinda like poker.

12. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Withstand the charge. They'll come out like a "blaze" of fire, but if we can withstand that and stay in the game. We'll be in their head for sure. Close out a close win and they'll be sunk for sure.

13. duteman

duteman Member

we win tonite...RA will make the right calls and plays to put us in a position to win.

14. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Is that a key to winning this game?

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Shane is better guarding off the ball, and Artest is better on the ball. Brandon Roy plays offense with the ball in his hands for the most part, so Artest is the best defensive matchup. I'd prefer that Battier be the "team" defender while Artest focuses his energy on Roy.

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

At first I was upset about the extra day between games jacking with our momentum, but the more I think about it, I think it helps in this case. We are surely in their head a bit, and this gives us extra time to settle, focus on them and what they will do, and be ready for it. Mlittle is right, they will be bringing it this time, right out of the gate. If we can withstand that, and smack them back even a little bit after they come out giving their all right away, it will be demoralizing and they will crumble.

17. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

getting the ball to yao EVERY possession...

duh...

18. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Exactly. The pressure is on their side. They have HCA and they lost Game 1. We should be pretty confident.

The thing is, we gotta stay agressive on both ends of the floor. If they front Yao (sure they will) don't rush passes. Play your game, move the ball and attack the basket.

We have the adventage now.

19. high5

high5 Member

While I do somewhat share your opinion on this, it might be wiser to put Battier on Roy since Artest is the one who is more involved in our offense. To save his energy.

But giving Roy different looks by having Artest and Battier take turns on him is not a bad option either.

20. BaiHua

BaiHua Member

A) Do not hesitate to swing the ball & dribble into the paint creating the contact under whatever defense strategy those blazers kids execute on us.
    NO HESITATION

B) Gotta defend their penetration so as to avoid yao's foul trouble.
    KEEP YAO ON THE FLOOR

C) What brooks needs to do is to execute P&R and then shoot the ball. More shooting, less dribbling at will then dish out w/o good view
    LITTLE MAN

Then we should be okay coming back home with a load of watermelon and banana. (my favorite fruits :D )