1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What adjustments can we expect from Portland for game 2?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Clearly Portland wants to limit Yao's effectiveness. I was honestly surprised that we didn't see fronting in the 2nd half, don't their scouts know how teams are able to stop Yao? They will also try even harder to get him in foul trouble. We better be ready.

I also think we will see more Oden, he seems to be getting away with the Shaq move of dipping his shoulder into the defender and knocking him back to just dunk the ball. Might as well keep going to it until the Rockets find a way to stop it.

2. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

Try to guard Yao?? oh wait , THEY CAN'T.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Simply showing up would be a good start.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

We might see some Bayless since Blake cannot keep up with Brooks to save his life

otherwise, they have to try and get Aldridge going......without his point production their offense is hopeless against us

5. somenobody

somenobody Member

They will front your at the beginning. Yao and the whole team need much more patience next game. Patience will be the key to the game.

Go Rocket!

1 person likes this.
  6. YallMean

YallMean Member

They will double Yao early and let other Rockets beat them.
    Just no crazy shots, I was unhappy some of the shot selections Artest and Wafer took today.
    No easy buckets for them. Defend Roy's pick better. You can't expose Yao like that. I say put Battier on Roy, Artest is a step slower.
    Blazers are matchup heaven for us. Just do what we do, pound it inside, and limit them to contested outside shots, we are going to win.

7. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Oden was just able to push Mutumbo back. whoopdeedoo.

Yao weighs over 300 pounds. that move is not going to work on him.

8. RareAir

RareAir Member

Agreed...they might put in oxen earlier so that he can walk all over the lane to get his shots.

9. andyacecandy

andyacecandy Member

What kinda adjustments can we expect from the refs is the question..........

calls def not goin our way next time

10. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i know teams dont front every time because teams find a way to beat it throughout the game, but with the Rockets, and with Yao being very immobile, i think a team who fronts Yao the ENTIRE game would stifle our offense and blow us out.

11. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

They will definitely front Yao more. Id be surprised if they dont. One on one, they have no answer for him.

12. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Brooks needs to play another great game!!

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A healthy Greg Oden will put up a 35-25 -- he was hampered tonight -- i'm afraid the Rockets can't win if he is 100%. So the only adjustment will be his stats next game.

[sad face]

14. redao

redao Member

They need their PGs to step up. that's first.

as for yao... they need to give it up.. they can not do anything.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

expect fronting and doubles next game early. we have to rely on brook's speed to penetrate and dish if that happens. artest played great, he turned off his kobe mode and played smart, and scored important shots. props to him for that

16. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

They aren't going to miss as many open jumpers as they did today.

They're gonna come out stronger. The Rockets were clearly the more amped and prepared team and took a nice 7-0 lead coming out of the gates.

This is a young Blazers team and most of them have never been in the playoffs. They were nervous and jittery. But they'll be over that and fully ready for us in game 2.

Also, better defense on our post players. I dont think ScoYaoLa can go for a combined 15-17 FG again. I don't think Blake can guard Brooks any better than today though. I think Brooks will really shine in this series, he's comfortable in playing in Oregon as it's where he dominated in college. With Blake guarding him he can do what he does best - shoot lights out.

17. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

They need Yao Ming on their team.... only thing that i cant think of, honestly...

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Garbage time does wonders.

19. John232

John232 Member

The sinus infection is really the key factor in this series.

20. Htown57

Htown57 Member

Blazers Adjustments

1. Stop Yao at Any Cost--I have a feeling Pryzbilla/Oden will guard Scola and Adridge will start the game fronting Yao. Or they'll try to have Pryzbilla front. Or they'll double on the catch. Any way you shake it, anyone who watched the game knows that Portland stands zero chance if Yao is nearly as efficient as he was today. The first priority that the Blazers staff has is deciding "what do we do with Yao."

2. Aldridge--This guy is their second leading scorer and often carries them until Roy takes over in the 4th. Scola was uncharacteristically good against him today. I anticipate three out of the Blazers first four plays in game two will be designed to get Aldridge going. i have a feeling he'll also be more aggressive in the post (he kicked out a lot with one on one coverage.

3. Less Blake--Steve Blake can't guard Brooks. That much is clear. Aaron was extra aggressive today, likely at the behest of a coaching staff who realizes that his speed is a clear Rockets advantage. Look for Rodruiguez or Bayless--both of whom are a little quicker--to spell Blake early if Aaron gets hot again.

ROCKETS COUNTERMOVES--

1. More Wafer/Landry/Scola--often the best answers to a fronted Yao.

2. Unleash the Cooler--Chuck will defend Aldridge if he gets going.

3. Lowry attack--Brooks might be quick, but Lowry is strong--If the Blazers go to Sergio or Bayless, look for the rockets to hit back with Lowry's strength