1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vote For My Son For Grifter Of The Year

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobrek, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Another 2 week suspension sucks, but it's a hell of a lot better than having his channel terminated.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's a damn shame. You hear folks talk about The Machine metaphorically, but it's now in the flesh...or is it digital.

Youtube's ads are flattening. They should treat content creators like your son better or at least empower the rep they hire to fluff or better serve their talent.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

@bobrek, I just watched your son's entire video explaining his ban. Sounds like your son and I would agree on a lot of things. The arbitrary nature of Youtube's/Twitter's banning procedures, the lack of real ability to appeal, the damage that is done even when you successfully appeal, the ease by which certain "special interest groups" can get you banned, the inability to discuss Covid procedures without getting banned (even when agreeing with the President!!!!!!! he got a strike for agreeing with the President! imagine that!), etc. There really isn't any "due process" on these platforms. They can destroy your business on a whim, it's very arbitrary.

It looks like his account got taken down by rabid followers of another social media creator representing a certain specific interest group. This is not surprising because these groups are very organized and they want to destroy anyone who disagrees with their agenda.

Matter of fact, your son gave a very eloquent perspective on why and how cancel culture in combination with the censorship power of big tech/social media is dangerous for free speech, given the fact that these platforms are the de facto town hall. He is playing it very smart by spreading his risk and using multiple platforms.

If your son were to read the Twitter thread described here (link to D&D, not discussing this here in the Hangout), he would probably agree with a lot of the statements in it.

Your son seems very likeable and reasonable from this video. From what I can tell, he probably holds more conservative viewpoints than you do?

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Just watched a few more of your son's short videos. Seems like he and I pretty much agree on everything. Cancel culture, vax mandates, truckers...

How did your son become such a cool guy when you, @bobrek are so often wrong by disagreeing with me ;)

Bandwagoner and ROCKSS like this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He wasn't exaggerating when he said he was one of the top super chat earners in the world. At the time of his "banning" he was around 25th all time in the world and 2nd in the USA. He makes them tens of thousands of dollars a year. (YouTube takes 30% of the super chat revenue).

Their appeal process is horrible and when you get a strike for agreeing with the President of the USA on normal policy statements, there is a serious problem.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Ebay was getting about $250k a year from me and I got banned for something out of my control.

These big tech companies with effective monopolies need some oversight. It's not right that a 25 year old in a call center can make a 'judgement call' to shut down a million-dollar business.

Bobbythegreat and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nick really needs help....

He's really crashing and burning and I hate to see it.

Hopefully his recent arrest is a wake up call that leads to him turning his life around.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What happened?

Edit: Found it. Shame.

10. Buck Turgidson

I miss @bobrek, he's a good dude

#90 Buck Turgidson, May 23, 2024
    Last edited: May 23, 2024
    Xerobull, ROCKSS, Scarface281 and 4 others like this.
  11. PhiSlammaJamma

Power, Fame, and Drugs can all be addictive. Addiction is a brain disease. We don't know what we don't know. All or nothing could be true. But if he was addicted the disease is making the poor decisions for him. That doesn't excuse his actions, for example if he did drugs with the children, but it can be treated. Essentially, it reads like he's lost income, wife, freedom, and now potentially the kids. Tough round in life.

What would be extremely difficult for some people would be to know that your enemies got the best of you and got what they wanted. He'll need to get past that emotion quickly.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That was one helluva info dump.

I wish the Rekieta family the best.

AleksandarN likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Whoa, I used to watch some of his short videos clips when Bobrek first mentioned it and he was generally interesting and engaging. A lot of the topics he discussed were subjects I wasn't interested in and my viewership slowed and I stopped watching. That was just the things being discussed not anything he was doing. Fast forward to the Rittenhouse trial and I watched a short video and I couldn't believe the difference. I didn't think it was drugs or alcohol just that he had leaned hard to get the pro Rittenhouse crowd watching his streams. He had developed that stereotypical edgy/ dark internet personality that appeals to a certain crowd. I checked out the comments and they were full of qanon and other garbage. The video I just watched catching me up on his downfall was unreal he looks like a crack addict. This must be crushing for Bobrek he was so proud of his son.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

You are an incredibly weird person.

ROCKSS likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think this story shows what can happen when you are engaging in foolishness in your 40's that you should have gotten out of your system in your 20's when you had significantly less to lose and your body was more resilient.

16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Well this might be part of the reason why we haven't seen bobrek in a while. Tough especially with your son being known.

Reddit had this harsh comment

#96 Scarface281, May 24, 2024
    Last edited: May 24, 2024
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still keep in contact with Bobrek through other social media and I hadn’t heard about his son or what this family was going through. I’m sorry to hear about his son and family issues.

I feel awkward reaching out to him as I hadn’t seen him post or mention anything about his son. I presume he would like to work out things privately with his family and will respect that.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

There is something to this. I was just talking to my band members this week about the rock and roll lifestyle. It’s something we shouldn’t and couldn’t do at our age.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've unfortunately watched a lot of people crash and burn over the years.... almost including myself.

In fact, I'm still losing friends from the damage caused by the stuff we got into back in our 20's that eventually proved fatal later in life despite them being sober for years at that point.

When you get into depravity and degeneracy later in life, it might not take 15-20 years to kill you.

I know for a fact that if I went back to the lifestyle I lead in my 20's, I wouldn't survive it a year and it would completely destroy my life much more quickly.

AroundTheWorld and rocketsjudoka like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I’ve seen it too. One of the drummers that I played with in a side project was living that lifestyle. He would get high before playing drums even in practice was sleeping around with at least three different women and couldn’t hold down a regular job. By the time he was in his 30’s was dealing with a lot of health and other problems.

AroundTheWorld and Bobbythegreat like this.