1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

I was laughing my ass off when clutch was posting meaningless metrics about Jabari’s hip movement speed etc

he might be a fine role player, you just don’t draft those at 3.

he lacks explosion, cannot dribble, isn’t particularly long, doesn’t block shots, he’s a stationary shooter

2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It's clear you are definitely the one missing the point.

Your first point alone clarifies this.

Paolo benefits from the ball in his hands... Jabari isn't getting the ball because he's bad. He isn't getting the ball because the team has two me-first players in the backcourt.

Sheesh.

Say it with me now. Paolo. Wouldn't. Have. As. Many. Opportunities. To. Shine. With. KPJ. And. Green. I had to spell it out. Because your post went into unrelated tangents for some reason that in two posts I never once mentioned.

#2722 Downtown Sniper, Nov 4, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Dude he even explained that Orlando has a lot of ballhandlers (even Bol brings it up a lot) that share the reigns, it isn't like Paolo is being given a free reign while Jabari has to be offball due to Jalen&KPJ.

Jabari is a sh** ballhandler and that's why the coach doesn't want him to have the ball and trusts Green&KPJ with it, you can bet your a** Paolo would be the primary ballhandler here.

That and Spooner's post directly address what you said, it's not an unrelated tangent.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. Downtown Sniper

Clutchfans is having a rough day it seems.

What exactly does having a lot of ballhandlers have to do with getting offensive touches? How many times was Shaq the ballhandler? Did he get minimal offensive touches because he didn't bring the ball up? Ok now that we've struck a line through that irrelevant comment, lets move on.

Wait, let me get this straight haha because that's a pearler you've just said. Ok so breaking it down like I'm 5. Jabari is a sh*t ballhandler = coach doesn't want him having the ball.

But KPJ is a sh*t passer, sh*t creator for others, sh*t shooter but somehow that = coach has all the confidence in him and wants the ball in his hands.

I can bet my ass Paolo would be the primary ballhandler? I guess you're right, coach definitely would adjust the offense to get the ball in the hands of people who deserve it more don't they. It's not like we have evidence of the opposite happening do we... OH. WAIT.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Because you explicitly said Paolo wouldn't get touches here, although Orlando has a ton of ballhandlers that bring the ball up and it's not just Paolo?

It seems I do have to break it down like you're 5yrs old, because you don't get it after several posts people did.

"Jabari is a sh*t ballhandler = coach doesn't want him having the ball." Yep

"but KPJ is a sh*t passer, sh*t creator for others, sh*t shooter"=but still better than Jabari at all of that currently=why give the ball to Jabari who's worst at it out of the entire backcourt and wings we have currently?

Bringing Shaq, one of the most dominant post centers of all time, into a discussion about Jabari, okay that's straight slapstick.

Carry on.

jiggyfly and Verbal Christ like this.
  6. Downtown Sniper

We're really going to act like when someone says they're not going to get touches - it's in reference to bringing the ball up the court. LMFAO. How can an argument take so many Ls so quickly.

Here's why you give the ball to Jabari, it's a seemingly insane idea to a select few on this board, TO DEVELOP.

That's what you do with younger players. Especially players you tank a year for to get.

As you can see, that's not happening because..... say it with me s-l-o-w-l-y..... BECAUSE WE HAVE A ME-FIRST BACKCOURT WHO CARE FOR NOTHING BUT THEIR OWN NUMBERS.

Say it with me s-l-o-w-l-y..... drafting Paolo would not all of a sudden cause these two backcourt players to suddenly change into caring about other people on the team.

I had to bring Shaq into the discussion to hopefully point out how absolutely idiotic it was to make mention of bringing the ball up the court when you, he and I both know full well that's not the point that was made hahahahah. Holy sh*t are you serious right now?

"why give the ball to Jabari" hahahahahahahahah.

Wow. Yeah. Why give the ball to the guy you tanked an entire year for and who is meant to be one of the cornerstones of the franchise hahaha. Yeah, why do that.

Is your name Patrick by any chance? You seem to have the same kind of basketball IQ.

Here's another fun tidbit to decimate your post (for another time). Hold on, why are we giving the ball to KPJ if he's better than Jabari? By that line of thought shouldn't they be giving the ball more to Sengun instead of KPJ and Green?

Do you ever play chess? Because that is what they call check mate.

Next time you try to actually say something, don't make it full of so many holes.

You should really learn the value in quality over quantity with your posts.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

All this nonsense just because you can't admit you judged the player completely wrong and can't understand that he's absolutely terrible outside of spot jumpers (over college guys) and defense (which was elevated by Kessler too).
    And newsflash, just because you drafted a guy at 3 it never meant he had franchise player potential or has to desperately get touches now despite being trash at it and it being incredibly rare to develop at many of his skill gaps after college.

Dude the point is not about just bringing the ball up the court, but actually being able to do something with it, as me and others have said. Jabari can't do anything with it if his jumper isn't falling.

Except Silas explicitly stated he wants them to have the ball in their hands a lot because the roster is lacking ballhandlers desperately?

Yes they should, as basically everyone here has said, but that still doesn't mean Jabari should get the ball.

All of your hahahaha, basketball iq questioning and terrible analogies just to not have a single good point, congrats.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haha azz is now crypted.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I censored the word because of the kids on the board. :oops:

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This reminds me alot of the rookie start for Jalen Green. I’m going to bite my tongue until we see how he does after the all star break. Even if he is a bust though, he’s at least Channing Frye who always had relative value as an NBA role player.

Give it some time. He was never going to be as productive early on as Paolo. Everyone knew that Paolo was the best choice if you wanted a rookie of the year. I didn’t care about having the next Tyreke Evans though and cared more about drafting the guy who could grow and have the highest upside.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nope, Jalen could score even at his lowest.

Jabari's defensive numbers are atrocious given that he hangs his hat on Defense.

I guess the Rockets are just overall historically bad and Smith is not helping much.

He is adding to the bad defense.

He blocks one shot per game and he doesn't really steal the ball well.

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

why are we talking about Capela? they are completely different players.

Jabari will be fine, i'm not worried about him becoming a good player. I'm worried about his potential to become a GREAT player which is one of the reasons I had others ahead of him in the draft process. The path for Jabari to become a great player is something that is near fundamentally missing and that is the ability to create his own looks... which in this league, is the most important skill to be a true STAR player. It is the difference in being Khris Middleton vs Paul George.

The best case for Jabari has always been a larger Klay Thompson. It just may take a few years to get there. I think CF is just frusrated when you see players like Banchero,Ivey, Mathurin have immediate impact due to their playstyles. Jabari is a different player who will be elevated when he is surrounded by better players. Without Curry, Klay doesn't accomplish much in the NBA..but with Curry and they are a nearly unbeatable dynasty.

Unforunately for Jabari right now is he is NOT surrounded by good teammates or a good system to grow in. This rookie year will be rough for him, plain and simple. He will not have any shots created for him and will be at the mercy of taking whatever shots are leftover after KPJ,Sengun,Green dribble the air out of the ball.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The thing about Jalen Green's rookie year is he at least physically and athletically looked like he belonged, he just needed to put it together.

Jabari, physically, looks overwhelmed. Hopefully our strength coach is legit.

15. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

We already knew this from college. Near rim, Jabari finished about low 40 something percent on the lowest frequency among lotto forward drafted in past 10 years with camera tracking data.

Yung-T likes this.
  16. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Some of you Jabari delusioners should be tankful that Jabari doesn't handle the ball. If he handled the ball, you would be crying for our whipping boy KPJ to use up 100% of our possession. Jabari at PG for a game trying to pass would average about 3 assists and 10 turnovers a game.

Paolo is in fact an elite ball handler for his size. Our boy Jabari is probably bottom quarter for his size.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ooof. Tough scene right now.

Yung-T likes this.
  18. Rockets4Life13

You know better than to compare per 36 numbers when one of them plays 3 minutes a night and the other 30.

19. maj21

maj21 Member

I still believe in Jabari.. but when we drafted him, shooting and defense were the last thing I was worried about. Seeing how bad he is at those things Isn’t a great sign

jiggyfly, cmoak1982 and GotGame15 like this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Nahh we've already reached the obvious logic of +/- conversations and "defined career arcs with 20 year olds" phase of the year. Its all fair game now. May God have mercy on our souls! -----------> /S

Plus its not my thought. Its the vibe that is starting to grow with Jabari in the ecosphere. I've been nothing but positive with the kid so far even during his major struggles. He could regress further and it wouldnt mean anything. Same for everyone else on the team.