1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, I didn't beat up Jalen Green but I looked at him from a practical sense. It is the same reasoning I used to prefer Morant over Williamson in the draft.

What was known about Green was that he had a narrow frame and a short wingspan and that would never change. That would likely lead him to needing to guard point guards, but he would have to play off guard because he lacked the court vision to be a primary facilitator.

So, we were left to depend on Green's ability to score and shoot, and in order for him to be a superstar, he would have to lead the league in scoring and do so while being very efficient. That is a lot to ask of anyone. Possible, but a very small margin for error.

Players like Mobley and Barnes were very likely to be very good defensive players. Barnes was a physical freak with athleticism and showed a desire to cover elite offensive players in college. Mobley was very mobile and could defend inside and outside. Offensively, either of them only needed to score 20 points a game to be a star because of their defense.

So, I had Green at the 4th best prospect in the draft with mostly it being a matter of taste. I felt Mobley and Barnes were also easier to build around because they could play multiple spots.

To be clear, I do not hate Jalen Green and I saw enough defensively last year to believe he can be solid defending point guards if the Rockets have a big point next to him to cover shooting guards. He is someone that can have an impact similar to Devin Booker.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think it is automatic he will be a good NBA player, but it is very likely. It also could how we defend a good NBA player as well. With his stroke, his size and rebounding and ability to defend; there is a very high likelihood he will be a rotational player on a good player. Sometimes guys don't reach that or it takes a long time (Jeff Green), but that is the outlier.

A lot of top 3 picks never become anything special, and it is possible Jabari ends up in that group. However, I am not ready to write off his handle yet.

Denovo and jiggyfly like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Are just lonely?

Why are you trying to get me to engage with you?

I care what I post, I just don't care to engage with you, it's pointless, your debate skills are just too much for me.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

[​IMG]

zeeshan2 and Nook like this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Jabari is struggling from 3 right now but does anyone have any doubt he's going to adjust? I don't. I also think he has incredible defensive instincts and when he puts on some strength I can see him being very dominant, possibly even as a 5. I don't know if anyone else can see it, but he's progressing fast defensively. He could have some tired legs, he's never played this many games/minutes before and his game is predicated on shooting at the moment.

There's a reason pretty much everyone is looking bad. It's because we're playing tough teams and our problem is systemic. The offense and the defense are shaky in a way that a rookie can't fix on his own, no matter how good he's gonna be in the future. Like everyone else, give Jabari some time.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I feel like we overate high lotto picks, 3rd pick in a vaccuum doesn't mean much, how many franchise players really come out of the draft. I think we really need to curb our expectations.

I think in theory a 6'11 guy who can theoretically guard 4 positions, and also be a 40% 3 point shooter is almost non-existent in the NBA. If Smith really can shoot like that and play defense like advertised, he would be one of the most valuable commodities on any championship team even if he cannot do anything else.

However, the reality we see as of now is that he is not making wide open 3's, which takes away pretty much 50% of his selling point as a 3rd pick.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Don't have a transcript for the Lowe post on the Dunc'd podcast

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I think folks that feel disappointed that they arent getting the player that were sold to them at the start of the season are quite unpatient folks who knee jerks.

The season is still young and we had folks already calling Smith a bust.

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Anyone trying to formulate an opinion on a player less than 10 games into their first season is a dumbass first and foremost.

10. dmoneybangbang

Everyone has looked bad.

The transition to the NBA isn’t easy. I never bought into “we got the consensus #1 pick” but give the kid some time.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  11. MystikArkitect

Maybe because he's a rookie that's not playing with training wheels like Herb, Barnes and Mobley did last year?

12. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

We got swindled by the NBA media, Zach Lowe, Kevin O'Conner pumping Jabari up from a mid first rounder to a top #1 pick beginning December of last year.

Our front office fell for it. Swindled. Scammed. Fooled.

Erbnwarfare, LeDakota and cheke64 like this.
  13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Sucks that the picks right after Smith are playing so well. Looks extra bad.

14. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

Whats crazy is that Nate Duncan was adamant pre draft how he didn’t understand the Jabari hype.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

His shot selection is embarrassing and he has no idea how spacing is supposed to work tonight

You can't be a stretch 4 by stretching the defense out to the Free Throw line.

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

LESS THAN 10 GAMES. Were you one of those idiots calling Green a bust a month in last season?

17. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

The worst part is that Jabari's weaknesses are some of the most difficult things to improve upon. They all got brushed aside by low basketball IQ fans and media analysts.

Cannot finish inside the paint.

Lowest field goal at rim rate in NBA draft history since stat tracking for lotto pick.

Zero handles.

Zero vision.

Does not draw fouls at all.

In a month, Jabari's shot comes back. We'll get our Ryan Anderson at age 19 with better D. Good prize from the draft.

subtomic, Yung-T and gumbleton3 like this.
  18. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

To be fair,

Jabari was really bad in summer league, really bad in preseason and has been even worse now. It's not just 10 games.

Jalen was good in summer league and dropped 30 his 3rd game. The flashes were there.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Ok yea this is concerning. He looks like Dragen Bender out there. Tari is better at virtually everything.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not worried even a little bit about Jabari. This is normal rookie stuff. Keep up the neon green light, Silas.