1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

On an unrelated note...

That stats page contains something that's never made sense to me. There's stats for "Passes Received" and "Passes Made". Here's the NBA definition of each (not terribly descriptive):

Passes Made - The number of total passes made by a player or team per game
    Passes Received - The number of total passes received by a player or team per game

The vast majority of players have more "Passes Received" than "Passes Made". That seems to make sense since you usually get the ball by receiving a pass and you may shoot it or turn it over rather than passing it. A few guys have more passes made than received. I always assumed that those were cases where they were getting the ball on rebounds or steals and then passing (i.e. a pass made with no pass received).

Now the curious case of Royce O'Neil who averaged 50.3 "Passes Made" and only 27.1 "Passes Received". How's that possible? That's a big difference. Too big to be rebounds and steals.

I thought that maybe inbound passes didn't count but that doesn't make sense either. He's not a primary ball handler and none of the PGs have that many more passes made than passes received.

Any idea on what I'm missing? If not, feel free to ignore.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People said this about PJ Tucker too.

Then he.......

YOLO and Verbal Christ like this.
  3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Nice catch! I think the inbound pass counts, and he is the inbounder passer, causing the passes made go up. His assist numbers is very low compared to other guys who has similar passes made numbers. That also supports my explanation.

If you look at the list, you'll notice other players with similar numbers: Taj Gibson, Jarred Vanderbilt. I think they are all inbound passers.

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Again you don't know all the variables....you are assuming you know.

Silas said he was running vanilla offense and defense.

I posted the frequency of his players with Mavs in 19/20 and
    Rockets players frequency the past two years. Vanilla
    offense of Silas offense is easy to defend as no to few
    rollers dived to the rim. And it wouldn't have worked if
    Kenyon, Green, Theis, Tate, Sengun shot poorly from
    3 during large stretches during the season.

Did Henderson have a screener? Roll man? Because I know Porter did
    for a majority of the time.

I've posted Scoot Henderson G-league stats vs J Christopher vs Porter jr.
    It ranked in this order:
    #3 Scoot Henderson <<<<< #2 J Christopher <<<<<<<< #1 Porter jr

I look at each player vs their respective competition.
    I look at the whole scope of each and everyone of their play.

You can be impressed with TyTu and/or Scoot Henderson.....I'm not.

Josh Christopher would kick Scoot Henderson #$$ at the moment and Porter would
    kick both their #$$&$ as well.

MJ came into the at age 21.....and I don't care about only having 19 year olds with
    potential. As Jerry Glanville once said, "Potential gets coaches fired!"

What i want is....."How good will Porter jr be during a contract of 3 to 4 years.....while
    starting that contract at age 22?"

A true experiment would put
    Player A w/ players X, Y, Z..w/ same coach 123..running the same scheme..going against same opponents
    Then place
    Player B w/ players X, Y, Z..w/ same coach 123..running the same scheme...going against same opponents

All we can do is speculate when all the variables are different.

Someone earlier said Scoot Henderson has a quick first step. I don't see that.
    It's nowhere near Morant, Westbrook, Ivey. Ivey would kick Scoot Hendersons
    #$$ and chew bubble gum. Henderson is Overrated.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  5. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Very good post. Fluidity is a succinct way to describe what he lacks. Not just switching between drive to create and drive to score but overall lack of fluidity, reading the whole floor and making the smooth play that results in all the wheels running. His execution is good enough to get his current numbers, though not very efficiently and not very good overall. Still shows promise that he could be better.

Construction wise, I don't like it, because it kills ball movement, which is my personal preference. And the simplicity of his game is too easy to plan for, once things become more competitive. You really need to be Harden level to have success with this type of game. I suspect he'll get there. Otherwise it is like Wood's 20/10. He gets his 20/10 but that 20/10 does not raise the team at all and is not enough to win games. (Some thought Wood's trade value was much higher, that was not the case and we'll see how he fares in Dallas, which is probably the best fit for him.) That's why even if gets his numbers better, I see problems. And on top of that, attitude problems.

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Oh wow KPJ is better than Henderson? Seen it all

7. JW86

JW86 Member

Once we draft Scoot, say bye bye to KP.

clutchdabear likes this.
  8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It seems in general professional players and coaches support KPJ more than the armchair analysts who are for the most part seem hung up on a couple of missteps off the court to the point that they try to discredit statistics?.
    Does anyone think these critics will forgive him if he has no incidents this season?

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. i3artow i3aller

This is how they see Sterling
    [​IMG]

King1 likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

players support players…that’s nothing new

Melo was a scrub that no team picked up the year we cut him, yet the players turned him into a martyr

Cleveland’s coaching staff sure didn’t. Oh, so now we respect Silas and the rest of the coaching staff?

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Well one is a player who has yet to play a game of nba vs a 3 yr vet. It's safe to assume that kpj is better than a to b rookie. Vet experience must count for something no?

Sounds logical to me.

Folks hate kpj so much to truly think he's inferior to folks that aren't even acclimate to the NBA experience.

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

What happen if we win the wemby sweepstake

Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Then we would have a 3/4/5 rotation of Tari, Bari, Wemby and Sengun. 144 minutes/4 = 36 minutes each. Or 30+ minutes each plus a few minutes here and there for Garuba, Tate, etc. Plus Green/Christopher at 2. Leaves the PG spot to solve.

15. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

To be fair. How often do you see players and coaches ever tell the truth about others in their profession's negative actions?

harold bingo likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is still accurate today, and why players like Lebron pull him aside and talk about his skills....and talent.

DD

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The same lebron who loves melo and westbrook, and who everyone openly mocks at the players he wants to play with? Good point there

clutchdabear likes this.
  18. i3artow i3aller

The same LeBron that claims to have predicted Kobe's 81 pt game?! :confused::rolleyes:

clutchdabear and King1 like this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol at any of that nonsense being accurate…must be comedy hour on the GARM

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  20. hakeemthagreat

His numbers are STILL better than Sengun's