1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYTimes] The N.B.A. won’t schedule games on Election Day in November in hopes of encouraging voting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 16, 2022.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm sure he's not going to like the results of his proposal. Plenty of folk in rural america using medicaid and other government aid.

Pretty much the voting power would shift heavily to college educated people who all strongly lean blue.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

2024 - They will have election booths in the stadiums

Rocket River

Xerobull likes this.
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Where did you say anything in opposition to that?

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Os is now advocating for a test of some sort to be able to vote?"

find where I said anything about a "test"

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Election night is one of our lowest ratings night of the year. Let's convince the woketards that we are going to not schedule games that usually occur after the polls close because we are super duper woke.

Says something about NBA fans

King1 likes this.
  6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

We saw evidence of this in 2016.

7. leroy

Advocating for certain people not being allowed to vote based on some metric of being "ill-informed". How exactly would one know that?

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Nothing to worry about.

Lazy people won’t just show up to vote just because they don’t have a game to watch. Heck, go ahead and make it a federal holiday.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So the gov shouldn’t be by the people. It should not be a democracy.

We should require a test, not for voting, but to be a candidate. With higher quality candidates, who care which of them win.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

find or quote what I "advocated"

one could read the book to see what the ACTUAL argument is:

but of course as I said, reading is hard.

here, I'll spare you some trouble. Just as we have voluntary voting, Brennan argues (I'm paraphrasing) people should voluntarily restrict their own votes . . . emphasis on voluntarily.

No tests, no top-down constraints on voting. A simple duty NOT to vote. That's the actual argument: "Brennan challenges our fundamental assumptions about voting, revealing why it is not a duty for most citizens--in fact, he argues, many people owe it to the rest of us not to vote."

But again as I said, reading is hard.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Now wanting people to vote is woke?

I think the goal here is that some of the players want to do something to get out the vote. I know in 2020 CP3 was pretty active there and probably led the charge on this, Giannis as well.

If the players are not playing then maybe they can be more active and as @Rocket River mentioned, the goal is to have stadiums be used as polling places.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-u...-as-polling-places-in-deal-to-resume-playoffs
    I know this might be hard for some to believe (not at all directed at you txtony) but it turns out the NBA players are actually people that have their own political beliefs and concerns and aren't just existing to entertain people.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

don't most polls close before games start?

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

why would you want someone voting who would rather attend a basketball game?

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Why is this in the D&D? There shouldn’t be anything controversial about a private company giving their employees an extra day off.

What a world.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. CCorn

CCorn Member

He doesn’t want cops, firefighters and teachers to have a voice. Because they’re obviously not really contributing to society unlike someone who was born into extreme wealth and gets to do cocaine all day.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If you're in line as the polls close, you get to vote no matter how long it takes.

If the Lakers are in NYC, the California polls won't be close to being closed as that game starts.

A number of states close at 8.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. leroy

Reading isn't hard. I just didn't care to read it. I don't believe people owe it to any one to not vote. Yes, I wish more people were better informed. We certainly wouldn't be discussing a certain bad fake tan as much as we do outside of some strange real estate deal, reruns of that terrible reality show he had, or watching Home Alone 2 for the 100th time if more people were better informed.

Maybe you didn't use the word "advocate". But you wouldn't post it if you didn't feel like there was truth to it and that you, in even the slightest sense, supported that dumbass idea.

Andre0087 likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think this move will literally help voting numbers. This is more of the NBA signaling that this is the right thing to do. I guess you can call it a type of virtue signaling but I welcome it because

1. It doesn't cause any net harm outside irking the sensibilities of rando internet rabble rousers like @Space Ghost :D who get triggered by anything and everything that is deemed "woke"

2. It brings this issue back into the limelight. The NBA is big so they have bully pulpit power.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Are you on the clock, son? Get back to work.

Sincerely,
    Curmudgeons