1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Batgirl movie scrapped even though it was finished

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

They are on their 3rd ownership group in 5yrs it has to be a shitshow with people going and coming at this point.

Xerobull likes this.
  2. TimDuncanDonaut

It's Raised by Wolves, it's DC, it's HBO Max's 'scripted TV'. People sub for the original content.
    70% work force expected to be fired by August... to save 3 billion.

Some of HBO Max content to be folded to Discovery+, who watches Discovery+ (Euro ESPN?)

Discovery buying WB/DC is like Tilman buying the Rockets. Could barely afford but once purchased, not rich enough to maintain, so they cut cost.

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

DC Comics is top-heavy AF. I read that a few of their characters were copied by Marvel, but Marvel's versions made the originals look like knockoffs. Sad. Marvel has unused characters that are more compelling than most of DC's best characters. It's like DC is painting with Rose Art markers and Marvel with whatever artists use.

Jontro and Xerobull like this.
  4. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

What’s your point again?

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He just wants to make everything over on Discovery a movie event. 90 day Finance - THE MOVIE! It would be cheap and that audience would eat up that trash.

6. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I think they are clearing all the DC content to either be movie releases in theatres or mini series on hbomax/discovery+

7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

They should let James Gunn be the new godfather of DC. I thought Peacemaker was good.

tinman and Slyonebluejay like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lol!
    @Reeko
    @Os Trigonum
    He was more pissed they scrapped the Scooby Doo prequel
    Nobody would have gone to see Batgirl
    @Jontro

Jontro and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bandwagoner likes this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

The headlines were the two DC made for streaming movies: Batgirl and Scobby-doo. Both axed despite near completion.

HBO max has other content from Turner (Turner classic/TNT/TBS), Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, some CNN, HLN, TruTV, Cinemax, and bunch other lesser knowns (pogo, MundoTV). It's unsure how many will carry over and if this Aug layoff includes bunch of those creatives.

HBO max has decent value for the cord cutters, having HBO, original content, and some cable shows (impractical jokers, South Park, Snow Piercer). Also has a massive library of older theatrical movies. Something that Netflix stopped doing at scale.

Discovery bought WB despite not liking scripted content. At&T should have sold WB to someone else.

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

While I have no idea how good or bad this would have been, a tax write off sounds like the main reason.

“Batgirl” was greenlit and made under the previous regime at Warners before the newly formed Warner Bros. Discovery and its CEO David Zaslav took over this Spring. Zaslav has made it clear he intends to commit to releasing first-run feature films in theaters before putting them on HBO Max.

Thus “Batgirl” was in a bind. Expanding the scope of the film with additional filming along with releasing the movie theatrically backed by a large marketing campaign could’ve nearly doubled its costs at a studio newly focused on belt-tightening.

An HBO Max debut would seem obvious, but by shelving it and the “Scoob!” sequel, the company will almost certainly take a tax write-down on both films, according to the trade’s sources. Financially it will allow them to recoup the costs, but by doing so Warner Bros. cannot monetize either movie so no streaming release and no selling it off to another studio or streamer.

Deadline adds that as the company has changed hands and changed strategy from the previous regime, the opportunity for such a ‘purchase accounting maneuver’ expires in mid-August and so they don’t expect other films to get killed like this because the window to do so will be closed shortly.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/warners-abruptly-scraps-batgirl-release/

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  12. SuraGotMadHops

Suit me up Uncle Alfred

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

why isn't diznee purchasing dc?

tinman likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TimDuncanDonaut and tinman like this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

@tinman wonder if WB/Discovery is setting themselves up to go after Feige once his deal is up with Disney.

tinman likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There is a lot of stuff people watch on Discovery plus, the also have HGTV and that other Home channell, they also have a lot of stuff like 90 day and other reality stuff in the same vain.

Don't sleep on Discovery.

I would have Discovery+ if I had time to go back and watch old stuff but I have a couple of shows I DVR from that channel.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My god man!

Really WTF is wrong with you?

Why are you always trolling somebody in random threads, just when I think you can't be any more of a loser you are now trolling @AleksandarN?

A poster who is not even that active?

You are actually kinda scarying me 1 rejection away from being a mass shooter.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Its a interesting idea but I don't want Lebron anywhere near it, I want a tried and true producer that knows what people want and not worrying about his image.

And I am a huge Lebron fan.

Xerobull likes this.