1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jeremy Pena Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Ok, then it’s clear the non major moves that are wins don’t really register with you. That’s your prerogative. I happen to disagree with that assessment model.

I do not disagree that we are a meaningful move away from being a 100 win juggernaut.

Last year, we won what, 95ish games. This years squad, minus Correa, should win fewer. And I’m on record as saying we should have spent.

The issue is you seem to think anything short of a 100 win juggernaut is abject failure. There is space between elite and abject failure as a GM. The spectrum should be elite, very good, good, average, below Vera be, abject failure. Assign grades or scores if you want, but grades and scores mean different things to different people.

The overall point is you come across as click is worse than Luhnow so click is trash and abject failure, and you do so without accounting for the whole record of transactions and decisions.

jiggyfly and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. Rileydog

that’s not quite an answer to my question, is it? I’m not emotional at all actually. It’s probably one of my flaws.

3. Rileydog

So let me get this right, Click sucks because we have regressed from a top of the league 100 win juggernaut, and he sucks because we need to make a major move to get to that level. The smaller moves don’t move the needle, we need major moves.

But let’s nit pick the smaller moves — like castro and goodrum - but decline to give credit for the much greater body of smaller moves that have worked well and got us to the World Series last year. Really? Again, I’m not a click apologist. I’m just saying be fair in your assessment.

And I hope you’re equally mad at Jim Crane because we all know the larger decisions like springer, Correa, Cole and verlander are Crane level decisions.

jiggyfly, vince and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

When a person feels you should lose Verlander, Cole and Springer, and not have any fall off, there's not really an argument you can make against them.

We lost 3 extremely high end talents from 19 to 21, that's the difference. I'm not gonna make any judgements on a season 10 minutes old.

vince and Snake Diggit like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Stupid me, coming to The Jeremy Pena Thread to see what new stuff has been posted about Jeremy Pena.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Good ****.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He has got to be trolling at this point.

I have given up on trying to have a rational conversation about Click with him anymore.

His entire argument is based on the fact Baez never panned out, I will give him credit for now going with young players are somehow being blocked, that one is new, nonsensical but new.

Rileydog, Bregatron and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. Radricky

Radricky Member

I would like to see Jp3 hit in front of someone like Bregman or Yordan.

9. Rileydog

like my occasional forays into D and D, I’m just hoping people can be semi intelligent about things when they have strong opinions. I find it baffling how people can be this nonsensical.

10. Buck Turgidson

Nonsense is part of the discussion, and there's no problem with it.

The constant repetition and circular arguments just serve no purpose. Once you're browsing and can say "I swear I've read this exact same post 8 times before" it just gets a bit much.

jiggyfly, Rock Block and Rileydog like this.
  11. raining threes

The point is the team is worse under his watch. I wouldn't have spent big money on those guys. Crane did on Verlander.

Click thinned out the farm to rebuild the bullpen then let most of those guys walk.

12. raining threes

Yep and didn't either 1. Replace them,2. Upgrade other weak spots to remain an elite team.
    They were somewhat able to replace Cole. Springers replacement is a big downgrade. Pena is promising.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But you do acknowledge they've remained an elite team despite losing all these parts.

If your argument is simply that they're not an elite team "now"... which they still very well likely are... there's also the counter that at some point, there will be a decline simply because no team can stay in a championship window in modern sports for nearly 10 years straight.

Pound for pound, the young rotation has a chance to be better than any collective rotation the Astros have had during this window... depth, youth, stuff goes a long way, and much needed for a long-ass season.

For reference, Mike Fiers was the only starting pitcher keeping the 2017 team afloat during the dog days of the season.... then the Verlander trade happened and all is history.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is the Jeremy Pena thread, about a rookie SS currently on pace for an MVP caliber 6+ fwar season. And yet the thread is dominated by one poster whining about the GM James Click…who is responsible for developing said stud SS and choosing to go with him over many many other inferior far more expensive options.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He got Graveman and Montero for major leaguer Toro. He got Garcia for De La Cruz and Pruitt (who they had DFA'd) . He got Maton and Diaz for Straw.

They promoted Meyers to replace Straw. So technically they thinned out the farm by trading De La Cruz and promoting Meyers last session.

They kept Maton and Montero and lost Graveman and Yimi.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Right. I don’t think any of the players Click traded away were even on their Top 30 list at the time of the trade. Toro and Straw were graduated and De La Cruz was a sleeper type. Hell, between adding Diaz in the Straw trade along with flipping Stubbs and Perez for prospects (Berryhill and Cerny), there’s a clear case that Click has added more to the farm than he’s subtracted, at least in terms of pure prospects.

jiggyfly, bobrek and BlindHog like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Rat b*stard that he is...he saved us for a month+ in 2017, for sure.

10 June/July starts: 59 IP, 2.59 ERA

He was horrible from Aug1 on though, ERA over 9, yet was angry about not pitching in the postseason?

...and now back to your regularly scheduled Jeremy Pena Thread discussions.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Pitchers have thrown Pena a lot less pitches in the zone in the last week. Pena has cut his chase rate some, though probably should cut it more. Umps called 7 pitches out of the zone strikes in the last week against Pena to bring him with a tie with Tucker for the team lead in getting screwed over.

19. Buck Turgidson

This is crazy talk, I know, but I think Tucker and Pena should swing at strikes.

I really think, really, really think that Bregman and Yordan should swing at 2-0, 3-0, 3-1 fastballs right down the ****ing middle of the plate, especially with men on base.

Just a thought.

Stephen66 and Rileydog like this.
  20. Rileydog

Jeremy Peña is a handsome young man, and a gentleman and a scholar.

Now back to the Raining Threes nonsense…

The team is much worse than under Luhnow. But you would not have spent on spent on springer, Cole or Correa - the very departures that make the team much worse.

@bobrek and @Snake Diggit already explained how Click did not “thin out the farm” and how Click built the pen. Do you even believe in facts?

But, apparently, they should have “replaced them” — not with roster filers, but with free agent superstars on their level? Or magically trade for superstars at their level? Please do tell.

Or, “upgrade other weak spots to remain an elite team” - surely, you don’t mean building a good bullpen through trades and acquisitions. Or do you mean we shoulda gotten a superstar catcher? Center fielder? Maybe you wanted us to sign JT realmuto, who had a down year last year? Or pony up for Starling Marte?

Let me say this for everyone. It seems you are an idiot.

let’s get back to Jeremy Peña.

jiggyfly and Snake Diggit like this.