1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again people are not forced to stay locked up in their homes. People can still go outside, they can go shop you can go a lot of things. Yes there are jobs are that affected. Service industry is going to take a hit but people can still get takeout. I don't know about TX but here in MN we can get takeout alcohol from bars and restaurants.

As far as affecting a small percentage of the population of the population it doesn't take much to overrun our health care system. We're already seeing ICU's throughout the country at or beyond capacity. That affects many more than just those who get COVID-19 as people still have heart attacks, car crashes and other medical emergencies.

Consider this. in WWII around 400,000 Americans died in about 4 years of fighting. Nearly all of them not even on US soil. That was still a distinct minority of Americans who died yet we had far heavier restrictions and rationing back here. Sporting events and others things were cancelled and American were literally locked in. We're at more than half that amount of dead in about 8 months.

On 911 about 3,000 people died and in the following months we had several restrictions. Airlines weren't allowed to fly for a week and even after that restriction was limited Airlines, cruises and other industry were heavily affected. Every three days more Americans die in this country than on 911.

Again it is accepted and expected that during a crisis that there are measures taken to deal with the crisis.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I am a firm believer in the quote often cited to Oliver Wendall Holmes, "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man’s nose begins." During a pandemic, one's freedoms should be restricted to protect what goes from one body to another person's nose.

4. Buck Turgidson

It's just not that difficult to be responsible.

conquistador#11 and TWS1986 like this.
  5. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

It really ****ing isn't.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It depends on the person.

My wife is a teacher, and her job is requiring her to have in person and virtual classes if she wants to keep her job. Though, this seems not to be isolated to her school. We've both had it, and still have antibodies (per test when giving covalence[sp?] plasma). Spring semester is worrisome once her antibodies will likely have worn off.

People with anxiety issues, this has to be very difficult.

Our bubble of people we see (about once every 2-3 months except for helping out parents) is pretty small (brothers, sisters, parents, niece, and nephew) with the only weak link being my niece who is a teenager. Everyone else is taking care of someone who is at risk. I'm not looking forward to tightening our bubble to just my mom once our antibodies wear off like we were doing prior to having it. With my wife being a teacher, we may have to let my younger brother help my mom out.

#10186 Joe Joe, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

600,000+ Americans die of lung cancer and COPD every single year, does that mean we've always been in a crisis?

The average age of death from COVID-19 in America is older than the average life expectancy of an American.

Authoritarians will always find excuses to scare the people into giving up their rights and liberties... it doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do.

Right now we're discussing crashing the economy and putting tens of millions of people out of work making them unable to provide for their families over a virus that seriously affects almost no one under 50.... and not many over 50.

You're talking about destroying the lives of millions of people as if you have no choice or as of it is the smart thing to do, it's ridiculous.

There are many who would never recover from another lockdown... sure it would work out great for people like Jeff Bezos, but small businesses across the country would shut down forever.

I guess those people don't matter. The millions of people who would lose their jobs, their homes, essentially their entire lives. That's not even including the rise in domestic violence, suicide, and homicide that lockdowns cause.... all in a vein effort to try to get your 95 year old grandmother to make it to 96. It's simply not worth it.

Encouraging people to take precautions is one thing, authoritarian shutdowns are another.

Now it won't directly affect me one way or the other, my job is "essential" and even if it wasn't, I would still have enough guaranteed income outside of work to be absolutely fine no matter how bad everyone else was doing... that doesn't mean I'd be okay with doing that to them.

The Real Shady likes this.
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.15.383323v1

In this study, we aimed to fill a gap in our basic understanding of immune memory after COVID-19. This required simultaneous measurement of circulating antibodies, memory B cells, CD8+ T cells, and CD4+ T cells specific for SARS-CoV-2, in a group of subjects with a full range of disease and distributed from short time points PSO out to > 8 months PSO. To our knowledge, this is the first study of its kind, incorporating antigen-specific antibody, memory B cell, CD8+ T cell, and CD4+ T cell measurements, out past 6 months post-infection. By studying these multiple compartments of adaptive immunity in an integrated manner, we observed that each component of SARS-CoV-2 immune memory exhibited distinct kinetics.

The spike IgG titers were durable, with modest declines in titers at 6 to 8 months PSO at the population level. RBD IgG and SARS-CoV-2 PSV neutralizing antibody titers were potentially similarly stable, consistent with the RBD domain of spike being the dominant neutralizing antibody target. However, due to the nature of only having data at two time points, the paired sample longitudinal data set could not distinguish between models of a continuous log-linear decay and a bi-phasic decay with a slower half-life later. It is well recognized that the magnitude of the antibody response against SARSCoV-2 is highly heterogenous between individuals. We observed that heterogenous initial antibody responses did not collapse into a homogeneous circulating antibody memory. That heterogeneity is thus a central feature of immune memory to this virus. For antibodies, the responses spanned a ~200- fold range. Additionally, the heterogeneity showed that long-term longitudinal studies will be required to precisely define antibody kinetics to SARS-CoV-2. Nevertheless, at 5+ months PSO, almost all individuals were positive for SARS-CoV-2 spike and RBD IgG.

Notably, memory B cells specific for spike or RBD were detected in almost all COVID-19 cases, with no apparent half-life at 5+ months post-infection.
    B cell memory to some other infections has been observed to be long-lived, including 60+ years after smallpox vaccination (58), or 90+ years after infection with influenza (59), another respiratory virus like SARS-CoV-2. The memory T cell half-lives observed over 6+ months PSO in this cohort (~166-271d for CD8+ and ~96-174d for CD4+ T cells) were comparable to the 123d t1/2 observed for memory CD8+ T cells soon after yellow fever immunization (55). Notably, the durability of a fraction of the yellow fever virus-specific memory CD8+ T cells possessed an estimated t1/2 of 485d by deuterium labeling (55). Using different approaches, the long-term durability of memory CD4+ T cells to smallpox, over a period of many years, was an estimated t1/2 of ~10 years (58, 60), which is also consistent with recent detection of SARS-CoV T cells 17 years after the initial infection (61). These data suggest that T cell memory m

That heterogeneity was observed in this study to be carried on into the immune memory phase to SARS-CoV-2. As a result of the immune response heterogeneity, as observed in the cohort here, it may be expected that at least a fraction of the SARSCoV-2-infected population with particularly low immune memory would be susceptible to re-infection relatively quickly. The source of heterogeneity in immune memory to SARS-CoV-2 is unknown and worth further examination. It is possible that some of that heterogeneity is a result of low cumulative viral load or initial inoculum, essentially resulting in a very minor or transient infection that barely triggered an adaptive immune response in some individuals. Nevertheless, immune memory consisting of at least three immunological compartments was measurable in ~90% of subjects > 5 months PSO, indicating that durable immunity against 2o COVID-19 disease is a possibility in most individuals.

#10188 robbie380, Nov 20, 2020
    No Worries likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I know someone who got it months ago. Recovered. Took an antibody test at one point. Then took another very recently and it showed the antibodies were HIGHER now than previously, indicating this person was again exposed, and somehow "supercharged" their diminishing antibodies. Could be interesting info OR it could simply be an error, because let's be honest, these tests do not seem 100% accurate or consistent.

cmoak1982 and conquistador#11 like this.
  10. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

That’s interesting, is that really true? Where did you find that info?

11. Pringles

Pringles Member

My buddy just got it for the second time. First time was back in June. This time around he lost his sense of taste.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's very hard to find that information because it's intentionally buried, but the average age of COVID-19 deaths in the UK is 82 with an average life expectancy of 81.

In the US the average age has varied over time from 75 to 80 with the average life expectancy being 78. 70% of all COVID deaths in the US have been people older than 70.

Depending on what the current numbers are the average COVID-19 death will either be older than the average life expectancy in this country or slightly under it.

The most important thing to remember is that anyone under 50 has about a 0.1% chance of death from COVID-19. It's simply not a serious condition for the vast majority of the population.

13. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

can you share what source you use? I was telling some friends this and they won’t believe me haha

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sourcing the UK number is easy, the US number is much more guarded because the facts go against the narrative some want to push.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...hink-average-age-covid-death-65-poll-reveals/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/average-age-of-coronavirus-fatalities-is-82-pcwqrzdzz

It's a LOT harder to find information on the average age of COVID-19 deaths in the US which is why I say between 75 and 80 because I've seen sources cite pretty much everything between those ages over the past 6 months.....but those who even mention the average age of COVID-19 deaths in the US are pretty few and far between.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It isn't intentionally buried. The median is easy to find and I posted it earlier. You just have to calculate the average by hand.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What I mean is that it's not cited often, you can figure it out for yourself given the data available, but you don't see media articles bringing up that fact because it would harm their fearmongering angle. When I'm saying "buried" I mean it in the sense that the media is burying the lede by not publicizing that data.

83 was the age you cited correct?

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/...ars-cov-2-virus.303386/page-508#post-13221458

That is from the CDC data. Some states do state average age of death, but most do not. You can easily see the median, but the average is different. I can create an estimated average from that data though. It's not precise, but I've found it to be decently accurate.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/weekly-covid-19-public-health-report-november-19-2020/download

Scroll down to page 42 on that link.

Mass has good data and their average age of death is 81. 98% of the deaths there had an underlying condition and 52% had a known recent hospitalization for something other than covid.

Average age of covid hospitalization for Mass is 66.

Average age of cases is 38.

edit...that said Mass is not representative of all states. I need to look at the data again, but Florida average age of death I believe is 78 and Texas average age of death is 76...I think.

edit 2....http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_p...rmation/state-report/state_reports_latest.pdf There is Florida state data.

#10197 robbie380, Nov 20, 2020
    CoolGuy likes this.
  18. Roscoe Arbuckle

Politicians caught at dinner parties and running off this weekend with lobbyists and some of you still buy into this hyped up sham...

Love the TV. Last May, EVERYTHING was shut down. The Blacklist had to animate their season finale. Now the show is back to normal, as are several others. My Favorite is This is Us. In the present day, everyone is wearing masks, social distancing, quarantine, etc. But those same characters in the past (the show has different timelines) do none of this. Plenty of touching, hugging, etc. I've even seen shows this fall with audiences.

Even my mom is over this. Time for y'all to do same.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Once again I don't think you understand what authoritarianism is or addressed the fact that during other crisis with far less death toll restrictions were put in place that also negatively affected the economy.

Following your lung cancer and COPD argument do you think it's authoritarianism that smoking is greatly restricted and regulated? At one time many more people smoked and tobacco was farmed by many more farmers but regulation and changing attitudes on smoking have greatly diminished the tobacco economy.

And again this idea that this virus almost doesn't affect anyone under 50 I've stated before I know people in their 30's who while didn't die from it are suffering longterm complications from it. Also you're still ignoring that ICU's are strained at or over capacity due to this disease. That affects everyone as people under 50 still can get into accident so or other things that require emergency treatment.

Also even accepting that median age of death is high that still means that half of the people dying from this disease are younger than that. If you take deaths below the median that is still 125,000 deaths in an 8 month period.

Nook likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I will state again this is a false dichotomy that it's fight the disease or save the economy. There is no longterm economic recovery without controlling the virus. Many people getting sick will affect productivity while stressing the healthcare system even more. Given the size of the health sector will be a blow to the economy.

If we cared about saving the economy and fighting the virus we would've done what Taiwan did and addressed it early with universal mask wearing, mass testing and contact tracing. We didn't and it's far too late to do that now.

Nook likes this.