1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Silas next Rockets head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Oct 28, 2020.

1. illadelphiah

illadelphiah Member

He was basically the only coach that was able to get Luka to listen (including RC), put some respect on his name. This could be good for harden

2. Chamillionaire

All I know is, our offense will be fine next year. In fact, it'll be better next year.
    Our D was doing pretty well in the bubble. We were one of the best, if not the best.
    I know this team is far from perfect, but we get someone to protect the rim, add more variety and movement into our sets, a big that can run both PnR and PnP and I think we're in a good position to compete.

I'd be ecstatic with Nerlens Noel or WCS.
    Green or Tucker can play spot minutes when we want to go small.
    Harden has made every big he's played with look good.

#282 Chamillionaire, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  3. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Silas will play to both Russ and James strengths. He will run plays for Russ to get open mid-range shots and James to continue shooting 3's. We will probably implement some 3ball schemes if when James/PJ/Roco/House/EGO (if still here) are out on the court and some "highest percentage" shot schemes when Russ is out there. (Russ FT pull up, PJ corner 3, Russ post up on smaller guards, etc)

Going to be exciting to see what Sloane is going to do now that the coach is in place. We will know quickly based on trades or signings the style we will play.

Would love to see Baynes or Horford and maybe Jerian Grant added to the team through some means. We need some more length on the wings players at least 6'7 or taller.
    I wouldn't mind McLemore coming back. Maybe Silas will see the kid was solid in regular season before Mike D strangled his minutes causing him to lose confidence. (GM 71/MIN 22.8/PTS 10.1/PCT 44.4/Reb 2.2/Ast 0.8)
    Bring Bennett back at least to camp if healthy to see if there is anything left there or if he is truly the bust he has seemed to be.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Actually just excited to talk about real basketball again! :D

But I'll give McMillan a chance if hired, just not impressed with his past production thus far.

He was much better as a player IMO.

cerophilik likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Caprah

Caprah Member

Wow . The mavs had the greatest offense by most metrics In the league’s history so I’m sold

D-rock, RasaqBoi, jimmyv281 and 3 others like this.
  7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

When Rick Carlisle and Luka Doncic will miss him and are happy for him.
    It says alot. The Veterans better respect this Genius. Especially Harden and Westbrook. If not Silas needs to lead a rebuild with a younger Star.

D-rock and cerophilik like this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

next step is to get rid of turtle

9. bmelo

bmelo Member

Put some respect on Pablo Laso name

10. HP3

HP3 Member

You know, while I like seeing that he blew the Rockets brass away, the thought of Patrick Fertitta being in that room being "blown away" by him is hilarious to me.

I just imagine Silias going in there handing Patrick a basketball coloring book while Tillman helps him with it while Silias actually breaks down basketball in front of Stone.

Vivi, D-rock, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  11. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

I think we already know what JVG would bring. He would get on Harden for not showing up or not following the schemes. That’s a good thing but Jeff gets into people too much. Plus he loves practice and he would play Harden about 40+ plus a game.
    Well that’s how I feel things would have gone. Jeff is a good defensive coach so it would have been nice as an assistant.

Idk if it was all Silas but he probably had a lot of influence in the Mavs offense. Last season the Mavs had good ball movement with some isos for Luka. But it was less static and more ball movement.
    and he was a better option than John Lucas. It was either Lucas or Silas at the end. JVG had been out of the running for some time.

D-rock likes this.
  12. abaker28

abaker28 Member

I'm pleasantly surprised with the hire. In fact I'm shocked.
    My only concern with a 1st time head coach is that JB is still a recent memory.
    This hire has got me excited for the upcoming season.

D-rock likes this.
  13. malakas

malakas Member

But even if he was horrible they would say the same.
    It's only polite when the assistant is hired away

Especially Carlisle who is the president of the coach association.

Vivi, HP3 and D-rock like this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Only one problem ..... He's hamstrung by Tilman's cheapness. They'll continue to throw assets away to duck the tax just like he has the last 3.

This is almost as bad as trading Moses Malone to them coming off an MVP season.

HP3, D-rock, slothy420 and 1 other person like this.
  15. bmelo

bmelo Member

He's a fresh face with potential to be really good tactician - Clutchfans approve
    He's cheap - Tilman approve
    He's black - Harden and Westbrook approve

Rafael Stone made his homework I like this dude

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol now it sounds like Harden is a 31 year old complicated sophomore.....

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Mavs have a younger supporting cast and role players.

Of course they are going to look good even without Doncic.

Now Silas transforming old Tucker and defensive player Covington into Seth Currys or Hardaway junior.... haha that is something to behold.

The problem in the last years, the FO never brought in a star that was younger than 31.

jimmyv281 likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

$145,725,000 is the apron level for 20020/21

The Rockets have $131,463,561 in contract obligations to 10 players.

Use of the NT-MLE of $9,755,000 would put them at $141,218,561 with 11 players.

The 2nd year Vet min is $1,620,564 X3 is $4,861,692 which would put them just over the apron with $146,080,253 14 players.

They may be able to pull this off without trading EG ... They are only $355,253 north of the apron with him and the NT-MLE.
    They could sign rookie and or 1st year minimums which are $898,310 & $1,445,697 respectively. One rookie min gets them far enough under to fill out the roster with 2 more 2nd year vet mins.

But going that route would leave them with no room to maneuver in case of injury and they may be forced to move him mid season in that case ...
    Moving EG should also give them space to use the BAE of $4,008,900 assuming they bring in $4,364,153 Less than EG's salary of $16,869,276.

The Tax line is $139,000,000 -
    If they were to move EG for no incoming salary they would actually duck the tax line completely.
    Tho its probably not realistic to move EG for no incoming salary , they are going to have to take back some money and likely a toxic contract of some sort.

Head Hurts from all that math

Vivi, D-rock, treyk3 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

after reading through the tread my initial feelings are somewhat eased. My first thought? Silas was the least expensive coach out of the 3.

Im hoping this vision of his is able to control 2 superstar egos on the same team and at the same time hope that James and Russ show Silas the respect thats necessary for this thing to work.

D-rock likes this.
  20. csc177

csc177 Member

#bringthemidrangeback

When the 3 isn't falling, the opponent packs the paint, and the ref's aren't calling fouls....hit the dang MIDRANGE (it was a layup for young Harden)