1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mint Mobile

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CometsWin, Sep 13, 2020.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Anyone ever used it? The Rick Moranis thing caught my eye. Their plans are priced much better than AT&T, that's for sure. It looks like it runs on the T-Mobile network.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's been alright in Austin. Only issues I've had is the LTE gets throttled at popular times in popular areas (eg lunch time, concerts/events) that I'd have to use local WiFis. Other than that, the speed and calls are good on T-Mobile's network. Been on it for about a year and a half.

CometsWin likes this.
  3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

There's a bunch of different network resellers (also known as "Mobile Virtual Network Operators" or MVNO's) in addition to Mint Mobile. If you're happy with your current AT&T network signal where you live, I'd recommend sticking with an AT&T MVNO unless you're in a densely populated area where every major carrier has good signal.

I live in downtown Austin and I switched from AT&T to Spectrum Mobile (on Verizon network) without complaint 98%+ of the time.

Price is obviously the biggest pro for using an MVNO. Not only are the plans cheaper but most are tax/fee inclusive. My unlimited Spectrum Mobile plan is $45/month and I pay exactly $45/month.

The drawbacks are usually some combo of:

- Throttling. As Duncan said, in busy times, cell phones on MVNO plans can get throttled in favor of the major carrier's customers. It can sometimes be difficult to make a call, send a text or call an Uber when you're at a concert/sporting event.
    - Data speed caps: some MVNO plans cap the speed of your data. So while the major carrier customers get the full benefits of 4G/LTE, the MVNO's are often hard capped at a lower speed. Furthermore, a lot of MVNO's limit streaming (e.g. youtube/netflix) to 480p while the major carriers will allow 1080P or greater.
    - Hotspot: some MVNO plans don’t allow hot-spotting. I find it super convenient to have a couple of gig’s of hotspot data in my plan so I can tether my laptop to my phone while traveling instead of joining random public WiFi networks. This was important for me.
    - WiFi calling: some MVNO's don't have Wifi calling possible in their plans. This was super crucial for me. I work in monolithic hospital buildings and usually the signal for every carrier sucks down in the depths. I hop on the WiFi and everything's gravy again.
    - Roaming: not sure if this is a consequence of Verizon vs AT&T or specific to my Spectrum Mobile service but the roaming out in New Braunfels/San Marcos is garbage. I think the major carriers have better roaming than their resellers.
    - Customer service: usually total crap. I fortunately haven't had any CS issues but if you do have a problem it’s often harder to reach a resolution than with the major carriers (who have large/expensive customer service teams).

Another option: most major carriers have cheaper pre-paid plans that are similar MVNO's. They have some of the above-mentioned drawbacks but are usually a decent bit cheaper than the traditional post-paid plans.

#3 xcrunner51, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020