1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike D'Antoni will not return as Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Sep 13, 2020.

1. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I feel for D'Antoni, he was again one incident away (most recent was CP3s hamstring) from the NBA finals during his Rockets tenure as he was one hip check away from his Sun's beating the Spurs (Sun's bench got suspended).

The Rockets didn't meld with Westbrooks arrival and definitely suffered chemistry wise when Capella was traded for Covington. Then we suddenly got lucky that Green played well above what we expected and so did Gordon when he finally got back healthy.

Best of luck to Mike and his future team! He definitely helped Harden become MVP, let's see where Tillman tries to go now. Wonder if he'll blow it up this year or next year. Either way we're doomed for the next 4 years if we want to rebuild through the draft.

RayRay10, fckbandwagons and HP3 like this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

More like a disguise in blessing.

3. Victorious

Victorious Member

He maximized Harden to his fullest with efficiency. Our offense became historic. Never seen a team get (and miss) so many open looks. He may not be the greatest coach but he was good

daywalker02, HP3 and RayRay10 like this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

D'Antoni did really well for the Rockets. There is no question there. People here can point to whatever negatives Mike brought to the Rockets, but ultimately, we had 1 conference finals appearance and multiple semifinals experience. The issues with Mike is that he never seemed to adjust and was stubborn about his rotations.

I don't know if results would of been any different, but considering that it appears we've reached our ceiling with him, we had to move on. It's not Mike's fault that Tilman was cheap and forced Morey to bargain shop, so obviously he was not given all the talent, however, Morey did the best he could and it was up to Mike to make it work.

Morey just got an extension and Harden is the individual that sells the product. Mike no longer had a contract. It was easy to see that he was going to be the odd man out. I'm not opposed to it, it certainly felt that it was time for a change of scenery considering we only have about 2 years left of Harden's peak.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty big news if not unexpected.

Shouldn't this be stickied?

6. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Really enjoyed having Mike coach, I was disappointed when he was initially selected, at the time it made little sense to me and he was not in demand at all. Completely wrong about how it turned out, he was the perfect fit at the time. Also coming from Mchale he exceeded expectations for me. Hopefully there is a coach out there that Harden can work with and have some success with if he sticks around.

7. Tonnny

Tonnny Member

I feel bad for MDA who's championship team get teared apart and need to make it work with terrible shooter of Russell Westbrook.

Dead situation, better run than stay. Let the management to clean their own ****.

8. riko

riko Member

Sorry small ball was utter stupidity