1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

If anyone is curious......... yes Jeff Kent is divorced.

body slam, whiskeyred, BigM and 6 others like this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

"it was no bottle of Merlot" was what I remember.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

He strikes me as the kind of guy that would run through a wall, charge a machine gun, etc...

#983 Buck Turgidson, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  4. Buck Turgidson

Captain Redass

5. Hoothrewpoo

Hoothrewpoo Member

Certainly not relevant to this thread, but I know Kent a little bit. I’m positive he’s not divorced... as of 2018 anyway. Our boys played select ball (he coached his son, I coached mine) and high school ball against each other (LT / DS). He’s a world class dick. My older son told him he was a fan of his after our handshake line; No response, just looked away. In that same game, he got ejected (refused to leave and invited both umpires to “come make him”) and screamed a 13 year old down (in his face) until he was crying. His younger son was a heck of a hitter and a heck of a nice kid.

6. SuraGotMadHops

Man I loved Gerry Hunsicker, he was such a good GM. Thank God for Luhnow because Hun left a gaping hole in the front office when he split for Tampa.

Ed Wade's work in rebuilding the franchise doesn't get enough praise though. Cleaning up Purpura's mess was not easy, and I believe Altuve, Keuchel, and Springer were all drafted and groomed under his watch.

7. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some trade talk... Hinch does a great job of downplaying if Luhnow can't land a SP before the deadline. I think both of them have an idea of who they want at this point. I think it's going to come down to price. Price seems very high at the moment but it should be clearer come Monday.

I get the sense that they are looking for the following:

SP, reliever, and possibly another catcher

8. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I think you're right... I ragged on Ed Wade a lot during that time but Purpura screwed this franchise up big time. I know Wade did some positive things.

9. Buck Turgidson

Truth.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Drayton cut Pupura's legs out from under him. When you're not allowed to draft top talent b/c of money, then aren't allowed to sign the guys you do draft, and are told to get "bats" to entertain the fans, and just win enough to keep people interested so the franchise value can appreciate, 'cause you gotta get Baylor that money, well....that's what you get.

Gray_Jay and Nook like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

That's the least surprising thing I've heard all day.

Everyone loved him as a teammate though, I guess he just couldn't turn that switch off.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think they make a deal on Monday. SP Candidates in order of likelihood:

SP:
    Greinke
    Ray
    Stroman
    Boyd
    Minor
    Lynn
    Wheeler
    Syndergaard
    D Norris
    J Gray
    Heaney
    Archer
    Bundy
    Duffy
    DeSclafani
    Leake
    Gonzales

Nook, whiskeyred and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  13. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Agreed. I stopped watching them for a while and I said I wouldn't start watching them until Drayton had sold the team. I was so happy when Crane purchased the team even though they were being pushed to the AL.

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

That talk with Hinch was interesting actually at the end...

Him mentioning on what the FO might be contemplating in regards to Fisher and Tucker was VERY telling. One, if not both, are being dangled right now as center pieces in deals (we all kind of knew it but the way Hinch said it told all...). I am now sure of it.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

16. Jeremy Williams

Out of our rostered pitchers with a sub 4.50 ERA and a min. of 40 IP in 2019, only Verlander, Cole, Miley, Pressly, Osuna, and Harris are currently healthy. We need some help on the pitching front.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think another year of disappointing contracts for aging free agent outfielders will serve to drastically increase the odds of Springer signing an extension. As will another World Series win.

I just don’t see any way Cole signs with Houston. Houston has more to lose than just the money since they stand to gain a draft pick.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That's a lot of happy talk from Mr. Justice.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Altuve actually signed when Pupurra was the GM (Al Pedrique the scout specifically that reccomended him).

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

While true, and they can use some pitching, McHugh has been pretty good since coming back (11 games and only 2 earned runs in 12+ innings). Also, they have just gotten Joe Smith back. So, in essence over the past month they have added two good arms to the staff.

Snake Diggit and No Worries like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.