1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

{Rumor} Wilson Chandler Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Jul 1, 2018.

1. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

he is not a better shooter, nor is he even close to ariza on defense

ariza at 15m for one year >>>> trading for chandler at 12m a year

RHU525 and Trackwell like this.
  2. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Ryan Anderson would be perfect for Denver's run and gun game with 0 defense being played.

DonKnock likes this.
  3. hakeemthagreat

Yea but Chandler can actually play. What you're not mentioning is how mediocre Denver's been over the years. Sometimes certain teams are just bad situations for certain players. I think Chandler & Faried would both be a PERFECT fit for us. Remember Gerald Green? How did he taking a chance on him turn out?

34to11 likes this.
  4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Anyway, on Chandler: There was definitely some decline this year in the traditional numbers, but I'm curious how much was legitimate and how much was role. He's only 31, which isn't especially old, and his three-point shooting actually went up from 33.7% in 2016-17 to 35.8% in 2017-18. The big declines were in shot attempts per game (13.2 to 8.5) and usage percentage (22.0 to 14.3).

Many times, when there's a startling decline like that, it's because the player lost some explosion and stopped driving as much... but Chandler actually took more shots within 3 feet of the rim this past season (27.9%) than he did the prior year (26.6%). His minutes actually went up a tick, too, from 31 per game to 32... so it's not like Denver felt there was a falloff.

I can't say I watched enough Nuggets games to have a great feel on it, but after looking through the numbers, he seems like a decent candidate for a bounce-back season... because the underlying fundamentals don't seem that different from when he was very solid in 2016-17 (15.7 points, 6.5 rebounds per game with a 14.9 PER).

Deuce, DonKnock and malakas like this.
  5. GageD

GageD Member

color me shocked un amigo of iko's is claiming he was not wrong reporting Ariza wanted 50-60 million. he was right all along!!! this fake insider **** will never end.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Gerald was good in Boston too, every player usually plays better in a good team/enviroment, that's not shocking, but Chandler was never as good as Ariza, and that's still true as today, that's the point here, makes no sense that we didn't pay Trevor 13M but would pay Chandler that exact same money.

malakas likes this.
  7. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

His decline led to his role. Coaching and fit didn't help; Malone put him in bad spots and lineups (the guy is a terrible coach). But he's never been a spot-up shooter and he's probably at best an average defender now (with more lean to being pretty bad), which is basically what we'd need him for. His overall game and athleticism is far from what it used to be. His decision-making and IQ are lacking. There's a reason why Nuggets fans want him gone. Him playing >30 minutes (don't care about any usage %) was a big part in why they lost so many games they shouldn't have. He's also not a good floor spacer at all.

If the alternative to Ariza is Chandler, it should've been an easy decision to re-up Ariza at 15m.

If you're trading Ryno for a bad contract, you do it for someone who's at least a capable upgrade to Ariza. Chandler is not that.

malakas likes this.
  8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Chandler is better offensively (than Trevor) and would provide a different look.

34to11 and Embrace the clutch like this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Chandler is slightly better than Trevor offensively (still worse as a shooter), way worse on defense, way worse as a presence in the lockeroom...i mean, there's a reason why Ariza just got paid 15M as a free agent while Denver is trying to dump (with no results so far) Chandler.

Trackwell and tmactoyao like this.
  10. hakeemthagreat

Never as good as Ariza? Laughable. He averaged more points while shooting about the same from 3. He's a FAR better ball handler, more athletic, bigger & just as good defender. The only advantage Ariza has durability

Embrace the clutch likes this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Laughable you say, would be curious to ask 30 general managers who would they sign between Trevor and Chandler if the contract was the same, let's say 29 in fact, Phoenix already agrees with me.

If Chandler is as good as you make him look, i wonder why he has been a bench player in mediocre teams for 10 years while Ariza has been a starter in playoff/contending teams for half of his career...i guess the entire league is just dumb.

12. bevo202

bevo202 Member

I wouldn't trade our 2020 1st away, team will be old and might be broken down by then.

13. The Cat

Uh, what? **** off. I've been here for 20 years and speak my own mind, regardless of friendships. Players/agents ask for outlandish salaries all the time, and the fact that Ariza signed within one hour of free agency opening with the Phoenix Suns is only more proof that for Trevor and his agency, it was all about the money.

adw likes this.
  14. GageD

GageD Member

melt. down.

15. The Cat

Keep on flattering yourself from mom's basement.

Hard_foul likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Even if its just a rumor I hope this happens. If healthy Chandler is the missing link to our starting line up.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

He doesnt shoot threes well and 1.6 is not shooting threes lol.

18. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Cause he's always in Denver

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Anyone that has made nearly 2 threes a game in three out of his last four seasons is someone that, by definition, shoots threes. Not everyone in the NBA is making 3 or more a game like Eric Gordon and Steph Curry.

That said, I will agree with you that Chandler does not qualify as a good three point shooter.

20. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

This will have to be a three-four team deal for it to work. Nuggets want to shed salary.