1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For Deckard: Hypothetical Scenario to Acquire Lebron

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aelliott, Jun 9, 2018.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yeah, I'd already realized that I forgot the Hou/Clev part of the trade which wouldn't work as a stand-alone deal. Hillarious that the part that I overlooked was the minor part where we acquired LBJ.

Interesting idea on using the TPE with a Love deal. So Cleveland would consider it as two deals. Deal 1 is taking back whatever the return for Love is into the $22M TPE. Deal 2 is basically trading Love, take nothing back and generate another $24M TPE. Nice.

BigMaloe and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  2. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Bron welcome home!

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Paying 12-14 mil for a low 1st round pick doesn't seem all that appealing if I am Cleveland. I am guessing it would have to be 2-3 1st rounders to get it done.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Chicago sold a pick to GSW that became Bell. They will help anyone. And if it gets LeBron out of the EAST, even better.

RocketBlood likes this.
  5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Are you referring to my hypothetical? As I said, Cleveland could easily flip Gordon for a first. They could do it as part of the deal (right now) or later in the season.Their choice.

The net to them is 2 firsts and a $22m trade exception.

Considering that the alternative is that Lebron signs into a team's cap space and Clevelsnd gets nothing, that seems more than fair.

Convincing Lebron to come here is by far the biggest hurdle. If you get his buy in then the rest is doable.

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I’m starting to feel like the Lakers smoke is LeBron’s camp ratcheting up the pressure on CLE management.
    “We will go to Lakers, so make trade to Houston if you don’t want to have what happened to OKC with Durant happen to you too”

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That's assuming Boston has no interest in joining the LeBron sweepstakes. They can offer infinitely more than we can and would still have a good supporting cast around him; they would coast to the Finals.

Anyway this was a great post. Thanks for sharing.

8. How Sweet It Is!

Trade Anderson and take nothing back? Sure. Right.
    Eric Gordon for a first? Sure. Right.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Technically you don't trade Anderson and take back nothing , the return is Lebron's salary (or PG13). But in sending Anderson's contract to a 3rd team and taking back nothing , its possible but will cost draft assets.

What makes that possible is the fact that teams MUST spend at least 90% of the cap ($101m next season) ….. There will be quite a few teams short of that figure who know they aren't contenders for the next couple seasons and will be willing to take on that salary for a year or two for an asset.

Teams with significant cap space -

Chicago
    Atlanta
    Dallas
    PHX
    Sacramento
    Orlando
    Brooklyn
    Philly
    LA Lakers.

Several of those teams have NO HOPE of contending for the next couple of years , It wouldn't be all that difficult for Morey to call and say here's a pick and a young "talent" (Onuaku , QI , Hartenstein) , take this contract off my hands.

Bottom line is that Anderson has to be part of the (multi-team) deal for <insert star here> - a simultaneous trade where salaries are aggregated.

saleem likes this.
  10. How Sweet It Is!

Nobody will take Anderson, Corrosion. He has negative value. Significantly negative. And nobody will give a first for Eric Gordon. You are hallucinating.

11. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

that would be interesting...
    We ST Clint--> Phoenix.
    Pheonix sends Tyson, Duddely, williams (28Mill Expiring) + 2 the two picks you mentioned to Cle.

But I feel like Cle would love Clint if he would be willing to sign there. also feel like we could get more for Clint than a mid 1st, an early Second rounder and some expiring.

IF lebron is willing to sign here I see a million different ways to make the money work. just need to find the best trade that keeps as many of our core players intact if possible.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

BigMaloe, Deckard, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Don't underestimate Chicago's cheapness. Just give them cash. They helped GS get Jordan Bell that way.

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

100% agree. Remember when Gilbert was FURIOUS with LeBron the STILL worked out at trade with Miami. WHEN HE WAS FURIOUS! Consider that.

Cleveland will take an asset package. Like aelliott said, the biggest hurdle is convincing LeBron to come to Houston.

UTSA2step likes this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We have over $5 million, four future first round picks and a few mildly intriguing guys like Hartenstein we can deal.

I'm confident we can move Anderson if there is a team that's willing to absorb a contract. The issue to me is that a team just might not be out there in time. We'll just see on that.

A 2023 1st rounder has to be very tempting from the Rockets I'd say. (I think that's the latest we can move) You'd be betting on the Rockets getting old and CP3 and Lebron being gone.

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! You certainly responded to my request far better than I could have hoped for, aelliot. Consider my mind blown! I just spotted the thread, so I hope you'll forgive the late response. Everyone else seems to have found it, though. Those who are relatively new here now know the reason why you are so respected by longtime members of the BBS. You spelled out the difficulties of getting LeBron very well indeed. Personally, I don't see how we can pull it off without one or both of James and Paul taking a haircut on their next contract. While it would make sense to me that they take less than they could otherwise get from LA or Cleveland, for example, if they both truly want to play together and with Harden, it might not make sense to them (and certainly their agents would complain). So how badly does LeBron want to beat Golden State? How badly does Chris want to play with James and Harden, which could be his best avenue for the ring he wants so badly? Both earn huge amounts from endorsements, commercials, etc., so it wouldn't be the money as the main issue, in my opinion. The key word here is desire. Do they have enough to help pull this off?

BigMaloe, JoeBarelyCares and hakeem94 like this.
  17. edwardc

edwardc Member

Don't want to loose Gordon but RA and another couple of pieces to get James and still be able to keep capela and paul.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If James costs you Gordon, you smile, wish Eric well, and send him on his way, in my opinion. Gordon had some big moments in a long playoff run, and his contract is a good value. I think he could net a future 1st from a team eager to add high quality depth, or a starting 2 guard.

19. bozo

bozo Contributing Member

Interesting… I've seen numerous reports that CP3 will not take less than a max deal, even to bring in LBJ. If however, Hardin agreed to take less, and you factor in CP3's injury history, how much of a "haircut" would it take to make this work?

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden is not able to take less, that’s not allowed

UTSA2step and Deckard like this.