1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Donatas Motiejunas won't report to Rockets cause of $6M difference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gorki, Dec 7, 2016.

1. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

FIRST PAGE11111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111

Edit: Dang... just saw people are making that joke still at this page already. My bad. I thought it was funny for a second cause every post I saw when I first clicked this thread said "first page" but I'm still late on the joke.

2. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

So why didn't he sign an offer sheet that started at 16 mil rather than the incredibly team friendly offer sheet the nets gave?

3. Bravoexo

Bravoexo Member

Coz there was none written on paper

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

dmo's days at home should not be squandered. perhaps he can take up an online university course, or enroll at devry. maybe royce can even be his freshman mentor there

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

There is no reasonable answer to this. There is also no reasonable answer as to why DMo signed a deal AT ALL that he wasn't prepared to adhere to.

But this is Holic we're talking to. He is the greatest master of spin control we will ever know.

6. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Let's get one thing straight: BJ does not have the upper hand on this situation. He severely limited himself after back peddling the Brooklyn deal when he should've waited a couple more days for the Utah deal and then weigh the options. Now that the 48 hour period to show up for physical has passed, Morey has options. He can either be ruthless by waiving the physical or have mercy by renegotiating.

I agree with you that Morey would be willing to give D-Mo more money to push back the guarantee date from March 1 to the summer. Gives Morey flexibility. With that said, no way he'll give D-Mo $16M a year in a situation in which he has little to no leverage. He would probably just match the incentives from the Brooklyn deal to bring it up to $37M

And to your comment about the earlier QO and $7M deals being losers: Morey can't turn D-Mo into a trade pawn by not playing him. His value is at an all time low due to him NOT playing recently. How can Morey get a decent return by trading a player that the entire league perceives to be damaged goods? He needs to play NBA basketball for him to get paid what he thinks he's worth. The QO would have been very risky for him but he should have bet on himself if he actually believed he was healthy enough to truly cash out as an unrestricted free agent the following summer.

D-Mo can certainly get a little more money this year, but ONLY if Morey decides to play nice.

7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

This doesn't mean they're matching the incentives too right?

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah sounds like no incentives. They're holding him to the contract he signed and not giving him that additional $4-$6 million.

11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Everything going according to plan, eh, BJ? ....errr, I mean @basketballholic

dobro1229, topfive, J Sizzle and 3 others like this.
  12. Bravoexo

Bravoexo Member

Suspension coming, right?

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hate to say I thought of 'holic when I read the Feigen tweet. This DMo saga on the BBS has become very holic-centric. We're becoming DMo-holics.

14. craguin

craguin Member

Larry Coon says:
    "We’re getting into a gray area — it’s not entirely cut & dried. That said, my current interpretation is that he’s NOT considered to be under contract to the Rockets. [...] The FREN isn’t complete, so he’s not deemed to be under contract."

#574 craguin, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    basketballholic likes this.
  15. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

At this point the Rockets should cut their losses. We don't need a toxic player that doesn't want to be here. Like the great philosopher once said

"in a relationship, breaking up is easy it's staying apart that's the challenge" - Dmo-stotle

16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Doesn't look like it. DMO may really regret hiring BJ and whichever attorney looked over that offer sheet from Brooklyn. I'm sure every owner and GM is calling the Rockets begging them not to budge in anyway on this.

18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

lol,

like I posted yesterday, all your Dmo fan club maniacs are keep saying the ball is on the Rockets court.

This is exactly what has been happening.

The Rockets will not do shlt because they do not need to.

If Dmo will never report for physical, the Rockets will never need to make another decision.

When March 01 deadline approaching, the Rockets will file an extension to the league and of course it will be granted because again the Rockets had done nothing wrong.

Dmo can decide to drag this into the summer or next year or 10 years later all he wants.

But until he will report to physical, nothing is going to change.

Dmo and his agent can file it to the union or even take this to arbitration, and I am sure that Morey had thought it over and they are pretty confident that the Rockets will win over this bullcrap.

So stay cool.

steddinotayto likes this.
  19. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nicely done