1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wolves sign Ricky Davis to offer sheet

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Yaniv, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Yaniv

Yaniv Member

"Cleveland guard/forward Ricky Davis, a restricted free agent, signed an offer sheet with the Timberwolves on Friday night, the team announced.

Davis, 22, is a 6-foot-7 swingman who averaged 11.7 points, 3.0 rebounds and 2.2 assists last season. Earning a bigger role for the 29-53 Cavaliers late in the season, though, Davis -- known as an athletic slasher with a decent mid-range game and an aggressive dunker -- boosted his production to 19.8 points on 55 percent shooting in April.

Terms of the Wolves' offer were not disclosed, but the deal is believed to be for the NBA's full mid-level salary cap exception, worth $34.7 million over six years. Because of Davis' restricted status, the Cavaliers have 15 days to match the offer and retain Davis.

Cleveland management has sent mixed signals in recent weeks about its plans for Davis. The team traded guard Wesley Person on draft night in part to free more playing time for Davis. But earlier this week, General Manager Jim Paxson three times evaded a reporter's question when asked if he would match a full-exception offer to the four-year veteran.

Denver also pursued Davis, who was picked No. 21 by Charlotte in the 1998 draft after leaving Iowa after his freshman season. He played two years with the Hornets, was traded to Miami, then played only seven games in 2000-01 after breaking his right foot. He was dealt to Cleveland last season and became a crowd favorite.

The signing is the Wolves' first significant move of the offseason.

If the Wolves land Davis, the move would put them well over the estimated $52 million threshold for the NBA's looming luxury tax."

Link

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

If the Cavs don't match that deal that is a VERY good signing by the T-Wolves. Davis will probably not be an All-Star, but he can be VERY good. He can be a very good scoring option, is athletic, will get down and put the clamps defensively, is athletic, and with Garnett can blossom into a star.

3. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I don't see the Cavs letting him go. They traded away Wesley Person so they could have more room at the two with Wagner and Davis. That's a pretty lethal backcourt if you ask me.

4. tozai

tozai Member

Yes, Davis looked really good in the games I saw last season. He came on particularly strong towards the end of the season. Improving jumpshot, very athletic, nasty dunks, good upside. I hope the Cavs keep him. They are looking for the worst record EVER if they drop him. I don't want anyone from the West who might compete with the Rocks to get better. (Seattle, Minn, LAC(too late...))

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would like to see Davis resign with the Cavs,but you never know what they might do.If they let him go,Wagner and Miles will have to do the bulk of the scoring.

6. Stevie Francis

it would make them a lot better, the wally can go to his natural postion, so can kg. cause they did lose billupes

7. wagner

wagner Member

damn.......WOLVES got lucky...:(

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Prediction: Cavs will wait till the last day and then match the offer. I think they know right now that they want him at $35 million, but want to punish the T-wolves for making them spend that much. So, they'll keep the T-wolves from using their MCE for the next two weeks.

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yep, the Cavs would be stupid letting Ricky Davis go. He's one of the up and coming players in the league.

10. tozai

tozai Member

JuanValdez is correct. Davis is going to be with the Cavs.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Cavs have matched the offer from the Wolves.
    Davis is going to stay in Cleveland and I think that is really good for them.

12. wagner

wagner Member

Cavs got Ricky back :D :D WUPIIIII:D :D

:p

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Ok, I was wrong. The Cavs didn't pull a Golden State on the T-Wolves.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I guess they have a little more class than Golden State, JV. ;)