1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the Lawson Experiment Failed and What Kind of Player We Need Next to Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by seeingred, Apr 6, 2016.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look who played PG next to Michael Jordan who also dominated the ball - you had John Paxson, BJ Armstrong, Steve Kerr - what did they all have in common?

Hint: They weren't there for their defense.

DD

2. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

First order of business is to get a good, respectable coach in here that players will buy into.

Second order of business is to FINALLY get a good PF that can play some ball. A guy that doesn't need to be set up to score. A guy that can rebound and play solid D.

Third order is to get a good shooter or two, any position will work. They dont need to be starters just be in the rotation to space the floor and hit open shots at a consistent rate.

Fourth, get a back up C to play behind Capela while he is still learning. Maurice Speights fits the bill. Morey had him in that trade that Jordan cancelled a couple years back. I believe he is a FA this summer. Could get him cheap.

You have to get solid guys on the floor with Harden in order for him to trust them with the ball. He tried to trust Ty, but Ty never got it done so he kept the ball. Dwight fell out of favor also with his TOs and empty possessions in the post. Ariza and Brwere are not good when they have to dribble the ball more than twice and make a move in the paint. We have to get other guys that can do that sort of thing.

3. mig0s

mig0s Member

It failed because Lawson needs the ball in his hands in order to perform. Not standing in the corner and jack an occasional 3.
    We need a good defender and good 3 point shooter. Beverley is actually ok doing just that. Someone like Bruce Bowen, Derek Fisher, Avery Bradley, Jarrett Jack would be nice.

And lol @people saying Rondo. Rondo will average 4 assists playing with Harden

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

OP, like you, I'm a fan of putting in KJ McDaniels at the PG position. I like the way our defense looks when he plays point.

5. jonasXV

jonasXV Member

Kobe had Derek Fisher.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have any solutions, but I just have to say . . . this is one of the best descriptions of the problem that I've seen yet. Just have to throw my compliments the OP's way. This was great.

7. gotsis

gotsis Member

Great analysis, OP.

Lawson didn't work because he also just seemed slow and disinterested, but it doesn't help that our off-ball movement is non existent, Lawson just had no cutters or shooters getting open to create for, it was 100% drive and kick if/when the defense collapses and Harden is better suited for this type of creation anyway.

8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Thibs doesnt play young guys. Thats was one of management gripes with him. They had these young talented players on the bench not getting burn. They feared for Mirotic's career in the hands of Thibs.

You think its bad with JBB, its amplified with Thibs. You would never see Capela, KJ, Giudelock,and damn sure not dekker

9. tdo

tdo Member

I think I'd like to see this. KJ brings a certain defensive skill set that can't be taught. He isn't Bev, who basically just plays physical and annoys other players. He can actually stay in front of quick guards while having the size to not let bigger guards post him up. His offense isn't great, but man our defense looks completely different with him in the game. Bring in a coach that can establish a movement and screen based offense, and he might even be decent on that end with his quickness and ability to finish.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

just simply not true

11. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Why did you leave out Derek Harper? Because he doesn't fit your narrative??

12. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I don't get what the big change with having Harden as PG would be. I guess the only difference is he would dribble the ball up the court? As it is, he already handles the ball all the time in half court. And I don't think you are talking about Harden guarding a PG on defense. So, is having Harden dribble the ball up the court the big revolution we are talking about?? Don't really see the big impact from that.

13. onreego

onreego Member

How's he doing in Indy?

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Courtney Lee type player. A good shooting two guard that can dribble the ball up the court and cover fast PG's.

15. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Old CW: Harden is a scorer who can handle the ball.
    New CW: Harden handles the ball because he lacks the disposition, discipline, and/or understanding to be a scorer when he's not handling the ball. He lacks the off-ball focus of a shooting guard. He also lacks the altruistic mindset of a true point.

Good luck finding a guard to fit next to that kind of player in a meaningful role. Basically you can hire a defender and shooter. We finally found a top-talent franchise player, and we're stuck with his personality, dysfunctions and all.

1 person likes this.
  16. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

............. and who is that.................

17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Sounds kinda like Ariza?

18. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Lol. Nope.

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Lay off Ariza. Poor coaching is why he's been playing like crap. But look at some recent wins. This guy is as every good as Battier at defending. Plus he can drive to the rim unlike Battier.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You start from the top down, and I'm talking above Morey. This organization needs to set some principles. We need to have a minimum standard for what kind of character a GM and a player and a coach in this organization should have.

We need to run an offense that is a modern version of what traditionally suits this team. What is the future of an offense centered around a masterful ISO player in the era of zones and tic tac fouls? What kind of players fit with that? What type of offensive system is needed to do that? Clearly, we need a lot of (but not exclusively) guys who are not just good 3pt shooters, but good catch and shoot 3pt shooters (not off the dribble shooters). We need young guys who have shown some basketball IQ or vets who have demonstrated they know how to move off the ball and pass the ball.

We need to run a defense designed to combat the most forward thinking offenses in the league. The best teams in the league move the ball around so well, they use the PNR so effectively, they move off the ball and they can hit open 3's consistently. The only way to defend that is with quickness and cohesiveness. So you know you need a flexible defense with quick and smart players; strength be damned. Your inside guys have to be good at defending PnR, they can't just sit back anymore or half-ass the recovery on the PnR. Once upon a time, roughing people up and clogging the middle solved a lot of problems. That's not the case anymore.

Once you figure these things out, the rest is easy. You find a coach who agrees with these things and is willing to be informed by data and trends rather than stick to antiquated ideas. You find a coach who is not going to allow Harden to play this much, and can justify it by designing a system which allows teamwork to thrive when Harden is not on the floor. IMO Thibs is not that guy. He is very controlling (otherwise he'd have benefitted from a great offensive assistant), very traditional and extremely unimaginative offensively. He's easily the best defensive coach in the league, and will go toe-to-toe with any coach in his first season or two with a roster.

There are better options out there. Riskier for sure, but with higher reward potential. You go after Durant, and you let him pick a coach as long as it's not Scott Brooks. If he's coming, then you can easily run with Thibs given we have two HOF offensive talents on the squad, both of whom are poor defenders. In that situation, it balances out. But you don't compromise on the principles I outlined in the first place. High character guys, with a system designed to reward ball movement and off the ball movement.

If Durant is not in, we try for Walton, though I doubt we'll snare him away from NYK or LAL. We need to find our Popovic, our Kerr, our Riley, our Jackson. To find someone like that you have to take a risk. But at least your ceiling is no longer limited to what a JVG or Thibs can offer. I love those guys but they are assistants, not head coaches.

For better or worse, these players are from a totally different generation. They will not be whooped into soldiers. The longer we try to do that, the more time we waste. Instead of fighting the tide, let's ride the tide. Instead of bringing in a coach whose stance is always to push his team, let's get a coach whose stance it is to mentally stimulate this team, someone who will motivate them to motivate themselves.