1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did Daryl Morey step down as Rockets GM now? We asked him and Tilman Fertitta

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Oct 16, 2020.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Yesterday it was "Ty Lue was Moreys guy" and "Tilman wanted JVG" and now they flipped the narrative just pick one guys

34to11 likes this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I am not switching anything. Morey wanted JVG. He would have been okay with others but he wanted JVG. Is JVG the best candidate of the dozens listed? No.

Maybe JVG gets the job and we go full circle. JVG left as Morey began his tenure here. Morey leaves and JVG returns. It would be poetic. Instead it’s going more akin to the noise of a dump truck outside of our window as we fail to get just one more minute of sleep and John Lucas will probably be hired.

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Im talking about these "insiders" with 500 followers... Whys this guys tweets even on here is he a clutchfans member?

4. opticon

opticon Member

Le$ got tired of JVG and wanted a more flashy offense so Adleman was the pick. Morey did not want JVG gone. Mchale was picked becuase Morey wanted a yes man who could coach up the young guys while we tanked. Then it happened, JAMES HARDEN! Harden changed everything and after a few years even after a extension that the job got too big for Mchale. Again, Le$ wanted MDA because of his offensive style Morey still wanted JVG and was looking at Paul Silas even back then. Owners pick coahes, GMs make sugestions but ultimately most owers have a strong opinion about who they want for better or worse.

Let's be real guys Morey is gone becasue of China pressure. The US goverment would not allow the NBA to fire over his comments in season. Silver even said plainy that China wanted him fired, there was no good buisness reason to admit that. Silvers strings were being pulled when this all went down late last year. Morey was told to go spend a year with your family and take a bag of hush money.
    I highly dobut we will ever see Morey in a public facing NBA role again as long as China's current goverment structure is in place. This China stuff is not a game, massive amounts of revenue streams are at stake.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I assume so, which is why there's a vested interest in pumping the fake insider nonsense - at least, that's what my sources are saying!

6. ROCK3TM4N

ROCK3TM4N Member

Geesh, we all knew nba was rigged for the narrative/entertainment money but this really hits deep and the phrase, “its just business”.

I will always consider Harden, Morey, Dantoni and hell, even Fertitta to be Champions in my heart. But unfortunately that didnt play out in reality couple years ago and here we are.

I was introduced to the rockets during the yao and tmac days but really became a die hard fan after that era and when we were a 9th seed for three years in a row but had an honorable franchise tied to a respectable city. To have watched almost every game since then to see the evolution of where we are now, I love Morey for it, he gave us a chance. But at the same time Im little relieved in hopes that we will move on from this current style of play as im more old fashioned in mixing it up.

Can blame Fertitta for pushing morey out, can also blame morey himself for not thinking their wouldnt be backlash for his opinion. But damn over a tweet..

im going to stay positive even if this ship is sinking. I look to the astros and how they still have me rooting and excited after such a gruesome span of hate. I really disliked the firing of lunhow and hinch but here we are with dusty, right back at it being competitive.

I hope rafael has some real stones and whoever they choose they really go about it not because its the easy way out but the right way for the roxs moving forward.

not sure where i was going with all of this but lesson is, dont talk about your boss through social media, they will see that sh it

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

yeh... and Bzdelik left to 'spend time with family' - only to return the minute Melo was out the door...

This organization is just a bunch of liars... smh...

Gray_Jay, D-rock, luckyman76 and 2 others like this.
  8. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Yep, I don't trust their BS. I can see with my own eyes. Tilman didn't spend when we were one game away from final. He is definitely not spending now.

D-rock, BHannes2BHonest and kjayp like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So they said they told every interviewed coach that Morey was leaving. And the coaches said, "No, they didn't exactly tell me that. I just suspected something was not right." Hmm...

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

Very very simple....Morey thinks we won’t win a championship.

you won’t convince me he wouldn’t be here, despite everything else, if he thought we had a chance. He put 14 years into this franchise, and he couldn’t stick out another 2 (remaining years on Hardens contract) to see if we could pull it off?

now the reasons we can’t win are another thing. If Tillman overrode his GM on the Westbrook deal, Morey would be ticked, but not enough to give up. But if that led to the Rockets not being able to win...yeah, I’d walk away from that too.

D-rock likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Morey stepped down because #Tilman handcuffed him one too many times. Tilman meddles. Tilman changes his mind. And Tilman wasn't going to spend money for a coach and assistants.

Morey saw the writing on the wall. Morey is competitive. He is loyal to Harden. But at the same time knows he CANT DO HIS JOB if Tilman continually handcuffs him and does not allow Morey to improve the roster/coaching to help the team. How can anyone work that way?

It just came to a head with Morey.

In a span of ONE MONTH Tilman RAN OFF

1) Morey the GM
    2) McNair the assistant GM
    3) D'Antoni the coach.

That's doing work. Just gutting management.

Deckard, 34to11, Der Rabbi and 7 others like this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If this team adds Christian Wood, hires a good coach and finds minutes eaters on the veteran minimum market this team can compete for a championship for two more years. Even though the not so distant future looks bleak, the present isn't that bad, worst case is a first round playoff exit. This offseason will dictate whether we are terrible for the next decade or not.

If we win big this year, Harden and Russ will sign extensions, the team will not bottom out by the time the Thunder own all of our picks. If the team hires a Lucas, they will make the playoffs, lose in the first two rounds and Harden will demand a trade. Which is ironic because he will be why we hired Lucas in the first place. The great thing is. He cannot leave without a trade for two seasons. If he demands Lucas it's time to ship him out, that will never happen though. Next offseason we will get a good package but will be a bottom dweller with no picks to save the future. It's going to be interesting to see how far the team falls exactly.

Rafael Stone is a very smart man. It's not like we just went from Michael Jordan to Smush Parker. The team has to fill out some vacancies and hopefully Stone has an eye to fill those roles or Morey has guys ready to step up.

#32 treyk3, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

see... the org is a buncha liars...

after 40 years as a Rox fan it may be time for me to walk away... smh...

D-rock likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Let’s just say that’s true.

Then Tilman was right to do what he did then...no fault on Morey he tried to move heaven and earth and use every resource possible to win a championship it just didn’t happen.

Now enter Tilman who says ok it’s been a long time and nothing has happened changes needed to be made ( Westbrook trade).

It was time for a fresh clean slate...salute and respect to Morey but it was just time to move on.

And now here we are

New GM
    New coach
    And we have Harden and Russ and people can say what they want about Russ but this is a guy who averaged

27 - 7 - 7

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I also copied this to quote. WTF

Deckard, saleem, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

This 1000%

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No, it was not right. You empower your employees to do their job. You don't meddle and interfere.

Deckard, 34to11, DVauthrin and 7 others like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Easy. Tilman. Title window is shut obviously. They’ll be fighting to just get in the playoffs for rest of hardens tenure if he stays that long.

napalm06 likes this.
  19. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don’t see how we get Christian Wood. Surely he commands more than we can offer, and at this point it’s dubious whether Tillman actually pays the tax. Depending on where the tax line comes in at, we might be shedding salary.

It COULD happen. But again...if Morey thought there was a good chance, or that he could do something that would improve our odds enough to make a difference, why would he walk away from 14 years of work?

saleem likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

You do if the business hasn’t been performing and don’t say we where a hamstring away.

Because #RunItBack remember?...

And don’t tell me just because we didn’t pay Ariza 15 mill a year cost us to not do nothing the following year.