1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What makes Patrick Mahomes better than Deshaun Watson?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Sep 27, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Nothing.

Everything.

2. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

True

3. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

justtxyank likes this.
  4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Like x1000

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Because Watson lost out to Tom Savage. If BOB could actually coach QBs the way he wants you to believe, and the Texans had a Alex Smith type starter already, people wouldn't be nearly as annoyed by Watson sitting.

A lot of these things are just having the proper infrastructure in place to allow a young QB to thrive. Watson always feel like he's thriving inspite of his environment.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Mahomes has the best arm in the league. Might be the best since favre. Ried probably helped him cut down on mistakes, but mahomes has a special arm. That's why we had a 50 page thread about him here.

plutoblue11 and deb4rockets like this.
  8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

They're both the same player. Mahomes has the better coaching staff and O line. But I think Watson enjoys Football more than Mahomes, that's what makes Watson special. His passion for the game reminds me of Peyton Manning's.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  9. conquistador#11

I don't agree about Watson loving football more but Watson's desire to put the team on his back and lead comebacks is becoming a staple for him.

I will say that Mahomes is more willing to take whatever the Defense gives him but that's also about trusting the system.

As for systems go,
    The QB and System go in hand. Take it from Brady's own words. "I don't know where I would be without Bellichick" during his weekly MNF segment.

The Reid deniers can keep omitting the brilliance of his X's/O's chalkboard and keep thinking that Mahomes has professor X abilities to get the defenders lost with his mind.
    The sad thing is if the Chiefs, who went 2-4 against playoff teams last year, don't go to the superbowl Reid could get fired.

Another great season for a Reid qb....
    : Foles 27 tds and 2 ints in TEN freaking games.

7 seasons ago may not seem like a long time, but the game has changed so much. Just In 2012 you could intentionally knock a piece of a QB's ear off on a flagrant late hit and not be thrown out of the game.
    [​IMG]

plutoblue11 likes this.
  10. dookiester

dookiester Member

That wasn't a late hit, he speared him helmet to helmet and he got flagged for it.

csj likes this.
  11. raining threes

Accuracy and arm strength along with a better mental clock are the differences.

Mahomes has already learned what Watson is trying to learn. Watson is behind due to injury and Mahomes having better talent around him, untill this year.

plutoblue11 and pgabriel like this.
  12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Wasn't that Foles season under Chip Kelly?

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

thread should have been over right here.

raining threes likes this.
  14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And, after tearing an ACL twice, you don't want to see that happening again by running too much. Mahomes has the best arm for sure. He's in a league of his own. He's also more durable so far, without an injury history like Watson. Watson has 3 of the best receivers in the league, and I think Mahomes would put up even higher stats with Hopkins, Fuller, and Stills to target. He is great at targeting receivers in one on one coverage.

But, with all our tight ends and our new running backs I definitely see Watson topping last year's numbers. He's making smarter throws this year as well. He, nor probably anyone else in the league will have that Farve type throwing ability that is a God given gift Mahomes has. His baseball background gives him a unique style that I love watching.

#54 deb4rockets, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  15. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

And with those 3 receivers comes the Texans OL. Yeah its seemingly better now, but last year it gave up 65 sacks compared to only 34 for Mahomes. I'd be interested to see how Mahomes handled the heavy pressure on about two out of every three downs...with BoB calling the plays.

16. Mashing

Mashing Member

Mahomes snaps his wrist and the ball travels 60 yards in the air. Insane arm talent and has very high football IQ.

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That's such a great visual describing his throw.

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

He might have gotten hurt just like Watson did year 1. That being said, regardless of who is on which team, Mahomes has a throw like nobody else.. Hey, he's a Texan, just not on the "Texans", and I love watching him play. It's been many many moons since I have seen anyone like him.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Complete brain fart but what movie is that again?

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Watson is a very nice player -- ranking in the top 10 QBs in the league, which is a high compliment because there are many great quarterbacks such as Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Carson Wentz, Russell Wilson, Jared Goff. But Mahomes is truly special and has the chance to be the very best QB in the league. The reason for this is based on arm strength, decision-making, confidence level, vision, o-line, and offensive scheme (coaching). Watson's supporting cast isn't horrible... he does have the best WR in the league and two nice deep threats with Will Fuller and Kenny Stills... and a good pass catching back in Duke Johnson. Clearly the o-line sucks and has big impact.

But would you take Deshaun Watson over Carson Wentz? Over Jared Goff? Aaron Rodgers? Jimmy Garoppolo? Over time, Watson's speed and elusiveness will decline and a big threat will be taken away. Then it will become all about accuracy, arm strength, decision-making, vision... That has to be considered as you project out into the future. And at the rate the Texans' o-line is giving up QB hits, the window may be closing faster than we think. Cam Newton's decline is a good example of this, and worse examples include RG3 and Vince Young.

GOOD DAY

whag00 and deb4rockets like this.