1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the biggest recent fail by the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsJumer, Feb 10, 2016.

?

What is the Rocket's Biggest Recent Failure?

1. The Failed Lawson Experiment

12.2%
  2. Not Finding Suitable Backups for Harden/Ariza

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not Finding Good PF Play

6.8%
  4. Not Incorporating Howard Well Enough

2.7%
  5. Not Prioritizing Coaching

63.5%
  6. Too Reliant on 3s, but No Shooters

14.9%
  1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Note: I'm not trying to troll or anything, just curious.

A 56 win WCF team doesn't just fall off a cliff to 0.500, playing some of the most unwatchable basketball ever seen, especially a team that is supposedly stacked like ours.

This team is a failure, plain and simple.

So I ask, what is the biggest recent failure of this Rockets' franchise? There is a poll and explanations below.

1. Not Getting Lawson to Gel in with the Roster:
    For this season, this is probably the biggest failure. Lawson was supposed to be the piece to complete the puzzle. If he played like anything close to what he is capable of, this Rockets team should be completing with the best in the league.

Obviously, this has not been the case. Lawson has been terrible, and while it is on him as a player to play the game, we did not do a good job at setting him up to succeed. Too many times this season, especially early on, Lawson was pulled when he made one mistake or didn't even get the chance to play the game. What kind of system is that? Pull a player when he makes one mistake? It is compounded because everyone was playing like crap to start the season and yet it seemed like Lawson was the only one that was disciplined for his mistakes. I mean, Brewer was the worst player in the NBA to start the season (arguably still is), yet he was allowed to make mistake after mistake. Just doesn't make any sense and now I think we are seeing the consequences of that failure. Lawson is playing so timid that he is afraid to make any kind of mistake. We took a top 15 PG and turned him into the next candidate for Chinese Basketball.

2. Not Getting a Proper Swingman Backup:
    When Brewer first got here, I remember being so happy that we finally got suitable back up for Harden (and Ariza). At the time, both Harden and Ariza were playing >38mpg and there was no way they would survive the season if they had to keep that pace up. But then I saw how much he struggled to shoot and how erratic he plays and immediately became weary of him. I was a little concerned when we resigned him this summer and his play this season has confirmed that concern 100-fold. Brewer cannot be the 6th man for a great team. He is a good player to bring in at certain situations, but that's it.

Ever since we got Harden, we have not found a suitable back up for him. We tried so many players and nothing has worked. James Anderson, Jordan Hamilton, Troy Daniels, Robert Covington, Reggie Williams, Corey Brewer and Marcus Thornton have all been disappointing and failed to provide sufficient back up minutes for Harden. How hard is it to find a real back-up swingman? Obviously, for this Rockets team, damn near impossible.

3. Not Finding Good PF Play:
    I will admit that I will be fair with this one. The Rockets were so close to signing Bosh and Dmo has been hurt but still, our PF position has been a joke. 3 years of mediocre play from the PF position. Its even worst because the West is FULL of amazing PF that consistently burn us.

Is it really that hard to find at least a back up PF that can help rebound and defend good PFs?

4. Not Incorporating Howard into this Team Well Enough:
    This goes beyond this season but its mind-boggling that we have rarely used Howard effectively. I understand that Howard wants to post up but how hard is it to run pick and roll more often? It was so obvious that pairing Harden and Howard together should have been so easy since their strengths are both in pick and roll, yet 3 years later, they rarely even run it anymore. Just doesn't make sense.

And even when Howard is doing good on the post, this team does not know how to throw post passes to save their lives. How is that even possible? They had the two most dynamic post players in NBA history in practices in McHale and Hakeem, yet they do no understand post passes? What a joke.

5. Not Prioritizing Coaching Enough:
    This might not be the best point but look at where the Warriors and Rockets were after the 2014 season. Both were young up and coming teams that had the talent but there were questions if the coaching would be enough. Warriors made the change and look where they are now. We didn't make a change and look where we are.

Of course, it helps that the Warriors have an all time great team but the Rockets were consistently dominating the Warriors before they made their coaching change with basically the same teams. Not saying that we have an all time great team (we don't) but great coaching took a good team like the 2014 Warriors to the highest level, and what have we done?

6. Too Much Reliance on the 3, but No Shooters:
    I know that with Morey-Ball, shooting anything close to league average from 3 still means that you are playing efficient basketball but this team over relies on the 3 but have no shooters! We haven't had a shooter on this roster since Troy Daniels, and he was in the dog house more than on the floor. Before that, the only shooter I can recall the Rockets having is Carlos Delfino. That's it. The three point happy Rockets are relying on career 36% three point shooters to hit threes for them while everyone has at least 40% shooters.

I just don't understand why we have Brewer and Jones taking three pointers when they are terrible 3-point shooters? Why can't we find someone who can shoot somewhere close to 40% from three? Other teams are taking Morey-Ball and actually putting shooters in positions to take those shots and they are feeding with points.

2 people like this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hardens diet

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Why defense is not the #1 point is beyond me

4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

all of the above and lazy on defense

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why singling out the biggest?

There are tons of big failures this season

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Not firing McHale after the Blazers loss in 2014.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

There are so many fails tbat it's hard to pinpoint the biggest. The inability for coaching and management to get consistent effort and credible leadership on the floor. Great effort and leadership overcome a lot of problems.

8. Ubigman

Ubigman Member

jb is still head coach lol

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden should be in the Top 2 Failures among coaching, failed Morey Philosophy, sub par Defense, leadership issues and so on

10. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

All of the above.

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

coaching and not incorporating Howard are the big 2 for me... lawson was a risk with low cost and high potential - even if it was a flop...

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Firing mchale and replacing him with the guy that was his assistant.

13. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

like all of the above and more.

14. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

After watching this game, coaching has to be the biggest fail.

JB and his stupid rotations have lost us so many games. Does he even watch the game he is paid to coach?

Unbelievable.

15. nono

nono Member

Failing to show any improvements in defense over three years has to be the biggest fail. Most of this is down to coaching, and hence to Le$ and Morey.

16. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Last year's Rockets had a massive chip on their shoulder due to the disrespect, injuries and adversities they endured. They played under siege, played together and extracted wins through sheer effort.

This season, they have regressed significantly on the defensive side of the court. It has completely cratered and the team has mailed it in (25th in the league in defensive rating to date compared to 8th last season).

17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

missing, "all of the above and then some"

18. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

had this team play any semblance of defense, they'd be a 6th seed at the very least
    add that to your poll
    there's really only one team that gives up more pts than the rockets if you dont wanna go by nerdy decimals, and thats the kings. ONE TEAM GIVES UP MORE PPG THAN THE ****IN ROCKETS, ONE TEAM! NOT 5, NOT 3, NOT 10, BUT 1, JUST ONE!
    woooooooooooooooow, this team drove me ****in nuts this season

19. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

ty's not a failure. he was traded for crap and he had a tiny bit of sucess here
    wildly inconsistent but still is serviceable
    also got him to change his final contract year as a team option, so big expiring this and/or next season
    its a no risk, high reward. he could've been injured all season and it still would've been a success
    when you can trade literally crap for a high talented player, you always win

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

ty's not a failure. he was traded for crap and he had a tiny bit of sucess here
    wildly inconsistent but still is serviceable
    also got him to change his final contract year as a team option, so big expiring this and/or next season
    its a no risk, high reward. he could've been injured all season and it still would've been a success
    when you can trade literally crap for a high talented player, you always win