1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy...?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by payaso, Dec 8, 2001.

Tags:
  1. payaso

payaso Member

Couldn't take the NYC experience anymore and is looking for more peaceful pastures.

How much more intensity could he get out of this current crew of Rocks than Rudy? I don't know about you, but these guys, especially the young ones, could benefit from some good X's and O's kind of orientation. Since G. Karl and Larry Brown are set where they are, who else is available and knows how to coach? Rudy could still life out with the Rocks and get kicked upstairs, but these guys really need instruction that they're not getting with him on clipboard.
    With the Dream gone, the onus is more on the coach to make things happen. To this point I fear that Rudy has not been equal to the challenge.

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

So what are you saying?

3. payaso

payaso Member

I'm saying that the last time the Rockets won with no superstars at their disposal, Don Chaney was the coach. Rudy has never, until this year, had to coach without the benefit of a Top 50 player on the roster, and we're seeing that this team lacks not only talent at this point, but heart and determination. Attitude reflects leadership. Rudy's everybody's favorite guy, but my experience, from a leadership standpoint, tells me that it's not enough to get your guys' attention and focus on the task. Let me take another example, and granted, this is conjecture- but how long does Jerry Sloan have left in Utah, with Malone on the block and Stockton at the end of the line?
    I'm saying it may be time for a truly fresh start.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While that post makes complete sense to me...

a) I am willing to give Rudy some more time

b) recognize that he probably will not be fired by Les for quite a while, regardless of the team's performance

c) doubt he would retire any time soon (although I see this as more of a possibility than choice b, given Rudy's exhaustion problems. Is he a coaching lifer, as ESPN has proclaimed Van Gundy to be?

5. Sane

Sane Member

Van Gundy would make this a brilliant team. Unfortunately, he left for family reasons, and won't be coaching any time soon.

personally, I think a very disciplined coach that would implement the triangle is a good idea. Leaving the decisions to the players doesn't seem to be working, and this team can produce incredible offense.

6. j-bone

j-bone Member

I totally agree. I will dispute this with anyone but I don't think Rudy T. is as great a coach as everyone thinks. He's not great at coaching X's and O's. All he coaches is percentages. Just like their are alot of naysayers saying that Phil Jackson padded his win % by inheriting great teams, I belive that Rudy T. did the same. Don Chaney built the Rocket team that won the first championship and Rudy T. just inherited it. I do give Rudy for being a great scout and picking out great talent such as Cassell, Horry, and Mobley, but when it comes to teaching these players how to win, he doesn't cut it. Just my opinion.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Have any of you guys ever actually witness Rudy's playbook? If not, how exactly do you know he is not a good "X's and O's guy"???

How is Jeff Van Gundy going to take the Rockets any further with 4 of the Rockets starters injured?

:rolleyes:

8. payaso

payaso Member

refer to previous post, Jeff... Chaney had The Dream and four guys named Moe, then the Cartwright elbow made it Mr. Mean, Buck Johnson, OT, "Jet" and Mad Max. He won games with that duct-tape lineup, and then when Dream came back, well... Coach of the Year, there he is. Chaney also wasn't afraid to hurt feelings if it meant the team would benefit; so Sleepy Floyd sat and sulked a lot.
    Might I add that it's one thing to have a playbook, and another thing to live by it and demand execution. That has never appeared to be Rudy's personality and boy, could they use a kick in the caboose about now.

your mission, Mr. Balke, should you choose to accept... acquire Rudy's playbook!

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

d) Van Gundy ran pretty much an identical offense to us the last 2 years.

There is a reason Van Gundy spread the court like us, and he got bashed for it by the NY media just like us. Oh, also, Doc Rivers (ex Coach of the Year), Larry Brown (reigning Coach of the Year), and Lenny Wilkins (winningest Coach) all run perimeter games very similar to ours. Fancy that.

So, does Rudy suck for running systems very similar to all these stud coaches who have only serviceable frontlines, but great perimeter players.

And further, with a great frontline, look at Rudy vs Pat Riley at NY who ran a nearly identical "boring" offense to Rudyball of the championship years, dump it in, hit 3s, and play legendary defense...and he still runs it at Miami.

...hmmmm, is there a pattern here?? nah, Rudy SUCKS!!!

10. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Peso-
    Chaney or anybody else that is currently available could not hold Rudy's jock strap. Rudy is one of the BEST COACHES IN THE LEAGUE.

11. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I don't think the problems the Rockets are having have anything to do with the coach. I mean if players can't make open threes, easy layups, point blank dunks and free throws, that's certainly not Rudy's fault. Every interview I've ever head from any player that has played for Rudy is that he's the best coach they've ever played for. Players always talk about how Rudy treats the players with respect and as men.

I disagree with ANYONE who thinks Rudy T is the problem with the Rockets.

Have any of you folks ever heard of a slump?
    That's what we're in right now, a slump or a funk...

Who's to say we're not gonna go on a 7-8 game winning streak??

rH

12. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Yes we are in a slump and we will be there for a longggggg time. Will we try to dig ourselves out of it ? yes. But it could be too late.

13. Michael19P

Michael19P Member

I think that you are wrong in assuming that Van Gundy could bring a lot to the table as coach of the Rockets. The guy has had a lot more to work with in the past few years than Rudy. New York can go out and plug holes when needed. I guarantee that a team with HOuston, Spree, Camby, Thomas, Jackson, Othella, charlie ward et al. at 10-9 is a lot more disappointing than a francis-less rockets at 7-13. I know it sounds exciting to shake things up, but I don't think you would find a better guy than Rudy for the job. And if there is an alternative, Van Gundy surely is not it.

14. HoonaBan

HoonaBan Contributing Member

I don't think Van gundy or any other coach for that matter could win with our main guys out. It wouldnt make that big of a difference to have Rudy gone. Although I want Rudy gone too we can't blame all of the losses on him alone.

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Chaney was also fired the year after he won Coach of the Year because his team had given up on him. :rolleyes:

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Oh yeah, lets get rid of Rudy and get Van Gundy, the same Van Gundy who DOESN'T open up the offense, who has a team built for running and walks the ball up the court and plays half-court offense, and coaches a team that stands around light years more then the Rockets do. He'll make this a BRILLIANT team! Much better then Rudy, who has two championship rings. As for saying Rudy hasn't shown he can win without a Top 50 player on the squad, Van Gundy hasn't won without Ewing, Sprewell or Houston so what does that say about him? You win with superstars. We don't need Van Gundy. It's amazing that people want Rudy fired with the type of injuries this team has suffered. Golden State suffered these type of injuries and suffered terribly by it. Houston suffered these injuries, and almost made the playoffs.

17. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

While I think Rudy's coaching this year has been very questionable, I am willing to give him more time. Just look at the starting line up and you'd figure out why ...... :eek:

18. j-bone

j-bone Member

What coach of the year honors do Rudy T. have? Let's face it, Rudy hasn't adjusted to the new rules and it has affected us badly. And what jock strap of Rudy does any coach in the league have to hold? Rudy doesn't have one. Hakeem Olajuwon made Rudy what he is today and he'll be the first to say it. If he's such a good coach, then why in the hell did the greatest player in Rocket history jump ship to Toronto?:confused:

19. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Oh thats because Hakeems a cheap person. He just wants $$$$$$$$$$$$.

20. alaskansnowman

hehe payaso means CLOWN in spanish