1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

tyrus thomas

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by coldsweat, Mar 28, 2009.

Tags:
  1. coldsweat

coldsweat Member

the bulls will never be able to forgive themselves for trading aldridge for him, but will he at least turn into a reliable power forward à la scola (what i mean by that is not a forward who is a low-post scoring machine, but a forward who plays solid defense while contributing on the offensive end).

today he had an impressive game with 18 pts, 8 rebs, and 7 blocks in 32 minutes. he's averaging 1.8 blocks a game, which is an impressive figure. at the beginning of the season his minutes were fluctuating, but now he's seeming to receive steady playing time and therefore is scoring more frequently in double figures. for those of you who follow bulls game, what do you think? is the kid ever going to figure it out? he has the potential.

2. TheBigAristotle

He's certainly panning out a lot better than when he started. He was drafted too high based on just flashy dunks at LSU, but he's coming along now. Agreed in that he won't become a centerpiece PF, but then again he never was supposed to be.

I project him being a solid 10 and 10 player within the future and then his 2-3 bpg will be a nice piece. The bulls have nice pieces period, they just need to get some veteran leadership on the club to go along with it.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He is one of those guys that needs to play alongside an established legit center.

4. anelka3913

anelka3913 Member

no way he can be as good as scola offensively, bc hes not a consistent scorer since, he has no offensive tool, no skills at all...defensively, he has potential

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

IDK about the whole Aldridge thing, I think this year LA has been barely better than him if at all.

Tyrus has really improved his game and if he can become a intimidator with his blocking and can keep hold of his athleticism for a long time (Since that is a big strentgh of his) then it'll be a plus for him.

Plus he's been getting better at mid-range shooter, I think he can still really improve though.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly, He would actually be solid with Yao. I love Scoly though...

1 person likes this.
  7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think his highest potential is a shawn marion type players. Good all-around, not great at anything, not really a star but a good role player.

1 person likes this.
  8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It seemed like he turned the corner at the beginning of the year. He still does some really dumb things but he's hustling now and at least trying his best.

Isn't he eligible for a contract extension this summer? I think Tyrus Thomas will revert to his normal, lazy form whenever he signs an extension. IMO, his upside over an 82-game season is 11/7 or 11/8. My prediction is 8/6 with a couple of blocks.

9. coldsweat

coldsweat Member

i don't know about that, i don't like to make arguments purely from stats but the dude is averaging 18 and 8, that's head and shoulders above tyrus thomas in terms of consistency.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Aldridge is so much better than Tyrus Thomas it isn't even funny. There is nothing "barely" about it.

11. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Actually i beg to differ. I mean I certainly agree that Aldridge is better than thomas right now, but 'so much that it isn't even funny?', I am not so sure. To me, thomas is not marion, but rather a josh smith type. Extremely athletic, long, quick hands, weakside shot blocking, plays within the flow of the game and doesn't have much plays call for them. I think that in some system tyrus thomas can be even better than aldridge.

Aldridge is really overrated. He really is a rich man's Yi, someone who shoots it really well but doesn't defend nor rebound very well, has a somewhat suspect postgame (maybe its because i mostly watch him against Yao), and plays softer than his size suggests.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

His game reminds me of Maurice Taylor's.

13. Lovemachine2000

Dude, like another poster said before me, Aldridge has been a consistent, reliable offensive weapon and is a big reason the Blazers are doing so well this season. Thomas having a comparable season? Not even close.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

MoTay had an unstoppable one on one post game. He could score on anyone with enough space. He just couldn't do anything else like rebound, block, pass, or play defense. MoTay was Zbo without the boards.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Oh brother. It's one thing to say Aldridge is overrated (which I don't think he is), but to say he's a "rich man's Yi" is silly. You clearly don't watch him much. Yi can't do much of anything, including shoot the ball. Aldridge blocks shots, rebounds, drills jumpers and posts people up. He actually takes over games. Do you honestly think Tyrus Thomas or Yi could do anything close to what he did to Matt Barnes on Thursday? Not in their wildest dreams.

Your description of TT is what I call a physical. The problem is he rarely delivers on the floor what the physical says except for blocked shots. He's playing the best ball of his career the last 2 months, but remember, it's only 2 months. I don't know if it was the trade deadline rumors or whether Bulls management called him in and sat him down, but something obviously lit TT's fire recently. The problem is he has a very short attention span, isn't the brightest bulb out there. I'll be surprised if he can put together a good 82-game season. I wish him well because I'm a Bulls fan and was pretty disgusted with the guy. It would be great if he continues the effort and finishes the season strong.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well Tyrus has done a lot for his team and his progress as of late has helped them move to 7th in the East. He's not putting up the offensive numbers like Aldridge but he's blocking shots and has become very active on both ends of the floor.

Aldridge season hasn't been ground breaking or anything neither has Thomas. Both of those teams improved more because of their added depth but both players have helped their team out.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He is overrated(Aldridge) because people seem to think he's a post up player.

He's not. Actually a rich man's Yi is a good comparison. Aldridge isn't a post up guy, he gets his points faced up much like Yi. The 'Rich man' implies he's much better than Yi because he does some other things mainly rebounds.

But he's overrated if your'e saying he's a post up guy...yeah he post up to receive the ball and face up. That's about it.

Both guys have a lot to improve upon if they want to be all-star caliber players. I think it's unfair at their stage of career to say one has the potential and one doesn't.

Tyrus isn't offensively suited like Aldridge is, but he impacts games just as much. He is top 10 in blocks, how can you just toss that aside like nothing?
    He's now playing with a guy who can create his shots in Rose and he's been improving his mid range shot and he's only 22.

Aldride is good on offense, has a nice shot. He has some post up moves but it's not really a strentgh of his. He has to improve there but his face up game for a PF is really good. Defensively, Tyrus Thomas is better this year. I don't care what anyone says. No one fears Aldridge blocking their shots, that's why the Blazers drafted Oden, hell that's why I've seen them go in with Oden and Joey both playing frontcourt.

Tyrus also can rotate and guard guys he's not supposed to and he's active in the lane. He's the better defensive player right now than Aldridge and Aldridge is the better offensive player. That is why they are having a comparable season.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Tyrus is a headcase. He plays when he wants to, is by no means a cerebral player and doesn't appear to be all that coachable. Sure, he still has upside but I doubt he's smart enough or a hard enough worker to ever allow somebody to break down his game, tell him what he needs to do then put in the hardcore gym time necessary to make improvements.

He's best suited being a hustle player. His offensive game is still raw and sloppy so the majority of his points come off hustle points and silver-platter passes underneath the basket. His work on the boards and shot blocking has improved with his increased minutes. As far as right now goes, that sounds like a hustle player to me.

19. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

Wade is a rich man's steve francis. Makes all the difference doesnt it?

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He's extremely active, but his offensive game is brutal, and he doesn't play smart. He does seem to try hard, and is a great athlete with long arms. I say he is a poor man's Tyson Chandler. He really needs to improve on the boards and improve his offensive decisions(stick to dunks), or he could always improve his jump shot out to 15ft, and he'd be a very quality player, but I doubt he can ever do that.