1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's postal service meddling

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the President and his family can do it then all Americans should have the same right. He can fly around every weekend to play golf but can't vote in person.

4. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

redacted...

I admittedly was ignorant of the absentee system.

#24 B@ffled, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Kudos for admitting your error

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

And essentially no fraud. There is a system in place to check for fraud and they have been working prior to 2020, including in States that have no-excuse mail-in ballots (or mail-in ballots for everyone).

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Kudos.

Trump repeatedly said they are the same also. I assume he was ignorant about it initially. It has, however, been pointed out to him and yet he keeps repeating it.

I blame Trump for purposefully pushing falsehood and confusing people.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

And they wouldn't count as there are system in place to check for fraud. If someone does pick up ballot(s) and try to illegally vote, they risk jail time.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. bobrek

For some reason the USPS is trusted with census forms, stimulus checks, tax returns, bill payments, etc.

RayRay10 and DVauthrin like this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

trusted by the original colonies, trusted to deliver mail-in ballots during the civil war, engraved in the Constitution by the founding fathers.

The USPS is a core American traditional value that is the favorite government agency with a recent (PEW 2020) 91% favorable rating. Can you think of any gov institution that is mostly human labored done this well? Any gov agency with such a favorable rating? It's time to attack it! We can't have gov working for the people.

RayRay10, DVauthrin and deb4rockets like this.
  11. Commodore

12. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I take responsibility for my own ignorance. I never bothered to look up the process and it's different each state. I assumed if you requested it you could do it. That's what should be changed IMO.

deb4rockets likes this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If it wasn't clear, I wasn't blaming you. I can empathize with you and everyone else - sadly, none of us have the time to fact check everything (and even that can be muddy) and unless you are 24/7 into politics, you can't keep up with all the misinformation and lies by Trump, other politicians on all sides, and certain medias and absolutely many social figures - fake or real. Thus, the unfortunate need to read many sources and to learn what to trust and what not to trust, at least at face value.

RayRay10, DVauthrin and deb4rockets like this.
  14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

This is what he loves to do, and it is a dangerous and deadly game he loves playing, just like he did and still does when it comes to the pandemic. A man like that has no business leading our country.

15. bobrek

Currently, in order to get an absentee/mail in ballot you must request one. There was an exception in the Nevada primary a couple of months ago where every eligible voter was sent one because they had no in person voting

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. Commodore

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Anyone that finds this legal and acceptable doesn’t deserve to call themselves an American, and I wish they would leave the country. If you have to brazenly cheat to win an election, then you didn’t deserve to win. Grow up and accept your defeat like an adult instead of trying to cheat to stay in power, and blatant voter suppression is cheating, plain and simple.

Words cannot describe how much I dislike Donald Trump, his enablers, and anyone that supports him. They clearly do not care about basic ethics and moral standards when it comes to the Trump administration.

AleksandarN, RayRay10, omar23 and 5 others like this.
  18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You aren't alone. I feel the same exact way. I wonder if this is how Russians, North Koreans, and Chinese feel. I never thought I would feel this way in America.

19. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Nice to see some calm, rational thinking.

20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You do realize Texas Senators blocked the request to allow Texans to absentee vote don't you? They won't allow us that option during a pandemic.