1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 10 Computer Games

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Vengeance, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I never expected so many people on this board to be so into PC gaming as I am. So here's a question for all you gamers -- what are your top 10 PC Games from the past 10 years (no Zork [​IMG]).

Here's my list:

1. Heroes of Might and Magic II -- This game has more reply value than the Pamela Anderson video. It didn't have any amazing story, the graphics weren't overly amazing, and the sound was good, but not great. What made this game no. 1 is the gameplay. I've never played a game that had such totally entertaining, totally overwhelming gameplay. The "one-more-turn" syndrome hits hard at 4 AM. IMO, the second of the three games was the best, as the third was a bit too complex, and the first wasn't as well developed.

2. System Shock / System Shock 2 -- System Shock is the best game no one played. System Shock 2 followed in its footsteps, but was much better selling. These games had reviewers floored, but neither one achieved the notoriety that Half-Life or Doom did. However, the gameplay and stories in these games are second to none. System Shock 2 was genuinely the scariest game I've ever played. The level design was just amazing, and the sound was unbelievable. With such a great story and gameplay, System Shock and its sequel are truly masterpieces of gaming.

3. Deus Ex -- Deus Ex had one of those stories that was so involved, and brough the player in so tightly that it was like a second life. JC Denton and Paul were real people in a real world. The level design was truly phenomenal, and the gameplay was as good as System Shock's. It had awesome characters, amazing sound and visuals, and a story you didn't want to end. This game was truly amazing, and I never expected so much from the Unreal engine. The 3 endings also had significant inner speculation, and thought involved within them -- wide ranging philosophical implications. Deus Ex became an instant classic.

4. Planescape: Torment -- I was just floored by the story and character development in this game. I didn't ever intend to buy it or even play it, but I thank God that I did. I really didn't expect it to be so engrossing. When some magazines picked it as a better game than System Shock 2 for Game of the Year, I figured they were smoking crack. Well, I see where they are coming from, and Black Isle has produced yet another masterpiece. The emphasis on dialogue, character development, interaction and personality was as good as in Deus Ex, and it just kept me enthralled for hours. My favorite RPG.

5. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II -- When this game came out, I really hated it. I'd spent the whole year watching and waiting for Quake II. Jedi Knight's demo came out a few weeks earlier, and I figured I'd play it. I couldn't stand it. I don't know why, but I never got into it. Well, after about 4 attempts, I finally started to enjoy the gameplay, and after finishing the 18 levels, I couldn't see why I never liked it before. It never made huge multiplayer accolades, but I really loved the multiplayer -- I played it multiplayer more than any other FPS. It's the only first-person shooter I've actually played through twice, and still wanted to play again.

6. Half-Life -- Well, I played the demo to this game right after it came out, and I loved it. But I could never bring myself to buy it. Finally, this past summer, I buckled down and purchased this game. I knew it had to be good. I respect PC Gamer, and their proclimation of it being the best game ever was very swaying. I started playing on Friday night. I finished it on Sunday morning and I don't think I spent more than an hour or two away from the PC that whole weekend. It had an excellent story, cool enemies and awesome interaction. The scripting events of this game were groundbreaking, and it felt like a movie. There were no let-ups in the game, and it had a very cool "feel" to it. Not to mention all of the awesome mods that have sprung (*cough*, counterstrike, *cough*) from it.

7. Civilization -- I haven't played the others, but this was my game of the early nineties. One of the most replayable games I've ever played, and I could still pick it up now and play. The "one more turn" syndrome is strong with this one.

8. High Heat Baseball 2001 -- I really loved this game with the hall-of-fame rosters provided online. I think it's the best sports game I've ever played, and it was excellent in every way. Can't wait for the next installment.

9. American McGee's Alice -- This game engrossed me from the start. When I heard the storyline, I just knew it was going to good. Thankfully, it didn't dissappoint. The graphics were the best I've ever seen in a game, and the story was so amazing, it's being made into a movie. Level design was very creative, as were the enemies. Some people didn't like the abundance of jumping puzzles, but I really liked them. The sheer creativity of this game really floored me, and the music was really, really cool. I think that this game could've been even better if it had some RPG elements, but as it was, the game was an excellent experience. I really, really enjoyed this one -- from the enemies, to the cutscenes, to the story, I was sucked in before I even got it.

10. Doom -- Personally, I think Doom should be higher, but I think the games above are more in line with the current times. Doom was just an experience from day 1. It's spawned a million copies, more controversy than its due, and it's still fun to pick up and play now. It doesn't have great graphics by today's standards, but I can still remember how floored I was after seeing it on my black and white LCD laptop screen for the first time. Saving up time on BBS', and waiting for well over a week just so I could download the demo. Personally, I think this is the most influential game in the past 10 years, as it took first-person games to totally new heights, and it even had cool multiplayer. This game rocked my world, and most everyone else's as well.

<hr>
    Well, that's my list, what about yours?

------------------
    What can change the nature of a man?

2. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I don't play many games. My list would be a short one-- Hardball III, Civilization, Joe Montana Football (for the PC, came out in 1990... you can get it now free on the Net here), and The Sims (for a short period of time).

Does NESticle count?

I thought Half-Life was OK but the only reason I enjoyed it was watching my brother play. We cheated up and got all of the weapons at the very start of the game. Then, he would walk around to each of the scientists and say "Hey, whatcha workin on?" in a pleasant, interested voice.

Then he'd club them to death using the crowbar.

Hahahahahahahaha!!!

------------------
    Things are tough all over, I know what you mean...

--Damon Johnson

[This message has been edited by BrianKagy (edited February 27, 2001).]

3. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

My list is close to yours Vengence.

1. HOMM3 - It's really tough diciding between II and III. II was more cartoony and had a great feel but III has more options and required more strategy imo.

2. Civilization - prob spent more time on this game than any other ever

3. Day of the Tentacle - Hands down my favorite adventure game. Abso-friggin-loutely hilarious.

4. Half-Life - Best FPS ever (imo). Wonderful single player experience and awesome MODs for multiplayer.

5. Wasteland - My favorite CRPG ever.

6. Earl Weaver Baseball - Had this back in the days of EGA. Gameplay and graphics weren't all that great but was my first intro to baseball history. Where I first learned about guys like Honus Wagner and Home Run Baker.

7. Doom - For historical reasons. Never played it all the way through but amazingly influential.

8. Wing Commander II - Most fun space sim ever. Really cool storyline and great MIDI soundtrack. [​IMG]

9. Starcraft - First game I ever played multiplayer. I have more fond memories of Warcraft II but it's almost unplayable now cause the interface is SOOOOO dated.

10. Manhunter/Manhunter II - 2 really cool Sierra games from back in the day. Really cool way of combining arcade games with adventure games.

Course this is off the top of my head so I reserve the right to make changes later. [​IMG]

dylan

------------------

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Glad to see Nesticle mentioned. It's the greatest pirating tool invented since Napster (it might be older than Napster, but what the hell do I know?). Endless fun with Super Dodge Ball and River City Ransom, among other titles.

------------------
    In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

5. haven

haven Member

1. Civilization II
    2. BG II
    3. Alpha Centauri
    4. Darklands
    5. Capitalism
    6. Front Office Football
    7. Master of Orion II
    8. Railroad Tycoon
    9. Monkey Island
    10. Pirates! Gold

------------------
    Why is it that everytime BC defeats a major conference opponent, that opponent promptly goes on a losing streak?

PS. Notre Dame sucks

6. Steve_Francis_rules

I think Unreal Tournament belongs on any top 10 list.

------------------

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

in no particular order

BREAK OUT THE OLD SCHOOL GAMES!!

Lode Runner
    Cannon Fodder
    Missile Command
    Asteroids
    Battle Tank
    Leisure Suit Larry
    Pitfall
    Pong
    Tennis
    Breakout

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    hehe

rH

------------------
    The Psychedelic Groove House of Rockets Basketball Love!

Come and chat with us on game nights in CC.net chat!

[This message has been edited by rockHEAD (edited February 27, 2001).]

8. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

1. Unreal Tournament - Will never be deleted off my hard drive, ever. There should be a CC.net dedicated server. If you want a game, drop me a line.

2. Railroad Tycoon - a great game. Quite an intricate financial model, which really sets this game apart from the rest. I'm really looking forward to Tropico.

3. Championship Manager (any of 'em, really) - addictive, though frustrating. Best managing/financial piece of a sports simulation ever made

4. The Sims - addictive as hell. Very immersive, I felt like I was in the game!

5. Red Alert - I like the way they do the "what if" scenario of Einstein and the west vs. the commies. I could play this for hours and not get tired, though tank rushes were a bit, uh, impossible to defend against.

6. Total Annihilation - awesome. First game that made me a RTS fan, and led me to purchase Red Alert.

7. Rollercoaster Tycoon - a whole lot of fun making people sick, and building some really cool coasters. Surprisingly addictive.

8. X-Wing - there's something so cool about shooting TIE fighters, even if the game's eight years old.

9. High Heat - the best baseball series there is for the PC. If only they'd add free agency, etc. ...

10. Front Page Sports: Football (earlier versions) - the stats and career play of this game, plus the ability to create custom plays, and drafts... this game had so much going for it until it went away from its niche and tried to go 3D. RIP.

------------------
    The Badministrator

9. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

High Heat baseball...... It's sooooooo reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllll

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

10. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Interesting comparison between NESticle and Napster.

Personally, the difference for me is that I paid $40 for a copy of every game for which I've got the ROM.

Or at least $5 to rent it from Latest 'N' Greatest video in Kingwood.

Not to mention the hundreds of dollars I (and my loving parents) poured into joysticks, control pads, magazines, guide books, etc etc.

NINTENDO, YOU BASTARDS OWE ME.

------------------
    Things are tough all over, I know what you mean...

--Damon Johnson

11. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

what's your handle for those of you who plays Unreal tourneyment? you guys play "Instagib"???? [​IMG]

UT is the best!!!

------------------

12. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Let me add that I like High Heat despite the fact that they've got a damn Cub on the cover...

Chen:

I'm fadó, usually playing Domination or CTF. I'll be the one getting his ass handed to him. My first instagib game was over lunch this afternoon. I like movies, long walks on the beach...

------------------
    The Badministrator

[This message has been edited by keeley (edited February 27, 2001).]

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

With the thought that I may actually be forgetting something, here're my top 10 in no particular order :

Civilization II - Sid Meier is genius. I never played his original Civilization, but Civ2 was about as addictive as any game I played. The "just one more turn before I go to bed" factor left me with some 2-hours-of-sleep nights.

Master of Orion II - combine space and a simplified Civ and this game made me go look for games such as Space Empires IV and Stars!, both of which probably could make this list as well. But, MOO started it all.

Front Page Sports Football - finally a series that concentrated as much on the statistical quality of a game (at least in the early versions) as much as the eye-candy. A shame Dynamix no longer did the title and left Sierra to screw up yet another sports sim.

Total Annihilation - Incredibly addictive RTS with awesome graphics for its day. Nothing like building unit after unit and then just hammering the crap out of the opponent. The pounding on their leader (can't remember what the guy was called) with fighters, tanks, and everything imaginable until he finally falls was awesome. Wave after wave of attacks to the point where you had the enemy defending themselves so much, they couldn't mount an offensive. Tank rush!!!! The sequel, TA: Kingdoms was also good.

Baldur's Gate Series - RPG the way it should be. "Like the good ol' days" of RPG. Huge worlds. I still don't think they rank up with the likes of Ultima especially 3-5, but still a great game. The amount of spellcasting, character building, and alternate paths, etc. made this one huge game.

Ultima Series - with apologies to Wizardry fans, this is the grand-daddy of the modern-day RPG series. I used to spend hours with notepad after notepad playing this game. Looking for clues, shrines, mandrake root, lol. Damn, that brings back some memories.

Warcraft Series - You mean I get to make little men go and do what I want them to and they build stuff? That's like a PC version of playing with toy soldiers. THAT ROCKS!!

Railroad Tycoon II - another sequel to yet another Sid Meier classic. Something about empire building and commerce games that I love. This one is no exception. I need to reinstall it...

Transportation Tycoon - if you guys like infrastructure type games, this is another great game that rarely gets the publicity of other sim games. Chris Sawyer did one hell of a job with this one. It should get more credit than it did.

Sim City - One of the original empire building games, I went out and bought the "3000" version of it and I still have fun building towns up and then unleashing disasters on them once they become boring.

Honorable Mentions : Descent, The Sims, Doom, Rollercoaster Tycoon, and Starcraft.

------------------
    "There is a long-term study being done of women and their menstrual cycles and preliminary findings show that women in the US have had their puberty move from beginning around 15 or 16 in the 1960's to around 11 or 12 today as compared with women in China who still reach puberty around 15 or 16." -- Jeff Balke has nothing left to save (including his mind apparently) and has decided to become the Cliff Claven of the board. Go on with yer bad self, Jeff!

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I will abstain from voting on any of the games I worked on, like Wing Commander, Starlancer, or Conquest Frontier Wars.

1. Command & Conquer
    2. Civilization
    3. Half Life
    4. CounterStrike
    5. Starcraft
    6. Fallout
    7. Diablo
    8. Age of Kings
    9. Ultima 1-4
    10. Conquest Frontier Wars (ok I lied)

This is a great topic, and one close to my heart. I have a demo of the game I am finishing....called Conquest Frontier Wars...it is a 3D Space Fleet RTS....Perhaps I can get clutch to host it here, secretly of course because it is not released to the public yet.

Just kind of keep it quiet.

Games RULE !!!

DaDakota

------------------
    Go Jazz *

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/011403.html

15. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Free Cell

------------------
    CUT Tino
    These Heaves are just getting Ridiculous!

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Good games usually do take a while to get "down unda", huh, Smeg? [​IMG]

------------------
    "There is a long-term study being done of women and their menstrual cycles and preliminary findings show that women in the US have had their puberty move from beginning around 15 or 16 in the 1960's to around 11 or 12 today as compared with women in China who still reach puberty around 15 or 16." -- Jeff Balke has nothing left to save (including his mind apparently) and has decided to become the Cliff Claven of the board. Go on with yer bad self, Jeff!

17. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

could say the same thing for democracy, and gun control for you guys [​IMG]

------------------
    CUT Tino
    These Heaves are just getting Ridiculous!

18. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Kind of like Homeworld? That game was REALLY, REALLY COOL -- when i finish it, it may end up on the top 10 list [​IMG]

------------------
    What can change the nature of a man?

19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

How could you all forget MULE!?!?!?!?!

Commadore 64... has to be top 5 of all time....

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

vengeance,

Not like homeworld at all, more along the lines of a cross between homeworld and Starcraft.

It is not unit based, but fleet based, what the combined efforts of all your units add to a particular fleet.

It is WAY easier to control then Homeworld, and has many more layers of gameplay.

DaDakota

------------------
    Go Jazz *

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/011403.html