1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Possible Return of Mike Hampton

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKMAN, Aug 6, 2000.

1. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

"I'd like to think that if I had stayed (in Houston) we'd be in first place right now," said Hampton. "I'm happy to be on this team, especially with the way things have gone there. I guess timing was on my side."

Who is Hampton kidding? This team is not a mid-rate pitcher away from first place.

Thanks for the link RKMAN...

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

It would be nice if we could land him next year, but the way Drayton is getting rid of anyone that does produce, it would be close to a miracle.

------------------
    "The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life."
    ---George Carlin

4. Special Patrol Group

Funny how Hampton manages to contradict himself within the space of two sentences. I'd still like to get him back in an Astros uni next year though. Here's hoping McLane decides that he wants to contend sometime in the near future.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Didnt he want to go to Atlanta? I think he was born if Georgia.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Insulting fellow posters without my permission is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Annoying Mango can be really FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I haven't heard Atlanta yet. I read off of mlbtalk.com a few weeks ago that this offseason his choices were down to the Mets, Astros, and another team, but it wasn't the Braves I'm pretty sure. Man, if you think the Braves have good pitching this year, imagine next year if they could get Hampton and also have Smoltz back healthy.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Second Round)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000965.html

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maddux-Hampton-Glavine-Smoltz-Ashby-Milwood....6 guys who could make an All Star team any given year.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

8. BobFinn*

Hampton is from Florida.

Personal Info
    Full Name Michael William Hampton
    Born 09/09/1972
    Birthplace Brooksville, FL
    Height 5-10
    Weight 180
    Bats R
    Throws L
    ML Debut 04/17/1993
    Years of Service 8

------------------
    ---George Carlin

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited August 06, 2000).]

9. DUDE

DUDE Member

I dont understand how we have fallen so fast either.
    I do think that we have a good offensive outfield. We need a SS and a 3B and PITCHING! The offense, in this park, is already pretty good. But the only decent starter we really have is Reynolds and he has been inconsistent also.
    Should we try and trade Bagwell for some Young pitchers or do we show him loyalty and sign him long term? I say he is shows interest in leaving then, trade him for some young starters.

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

10. BobFinn*

What about Elarton? Wagner will be back (hopefully) next year and Dotel can return to the rotation. Add Hampton and we have a very good staff.

------------------
    ---George Carlin

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Well he might be from Florida, but I'm pretty sure I heard on 610 that he was thinking about Atlanta.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Insulting fellow posters without my permission is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Annoying Mango can be really FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

12. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

I would welcome back Mike Hampton with open arms. We need starting pitching that is going to take us deep into most games. Mike can do that (i.e. preventing our bullpen from having to be used). Mike did that when he was with the Stro's. He was a workhorse. In addition, Enron is designed for ground ball pitchers. Mike is just that. A flyball pitcher is going to hate Enron. I am not sure what the Stro's planning on doing with Lima since he needs a pitchers park (i.e. Detroit). Plus Mike is a very good hitter for a pitcher.

Reynolds has slipped over the last two years. To me he is a #3 or #4 pitcher. If we can get Hampton back next year. He will be our number one guy. Hopefully Scott Elarton can continue his growth and be our #2. Reynolds and Lima become our 3 and 4 guys respectively. Holt if he comes back is our number 5. I like the idea of keeping Dotel in the bullpen. Overall it has suited him much better than being a starter.

Even if the Astros are fortunate enough to sign Hampton next year. We need to make drastic improvements in our bullpen (i.e. our middle relief sucks).

I will keep my fingers crossed that the Astros can resign Hampton this off-season.

------------------
    There's no 'I' in the word team, but there's three of them in Isaiah Rider. :D

13. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

He has been rumored to go to Atlanta here in NYC. Mike Francesa interviews him regularly for his Friday spot on the radio and he always said that secretly Mike wants to go to either Atlanta or Houston. Close people around him think that its 50/50 to either city.

Of course, as a big time Braves fan, I am voting for Atlanta. We need pitching!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited August 07, 2000).]

14. Dream34

Almu,
    You stated that Atlanta needed pitching. Your kidding me right...

Atlanta needs pitching like the Rockets need a new point guard. [​IMG]

------------------

15. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you know, i always thought that hampy left because of financial reasons... but a few weeks ago when i finally got the chance to come home for a weekend from Dallas, i heard a guy call into Section 610 with Charlie and David (Rich was on vacation) and the caller said he heard that hampy left because of "an affair he had with the wife of another player" needless to say, my jaw was on the floor... David cut the caller off right away and was quick to say that nothing like this ever happened, and it was just an internet rumor.... but man, if that's the case... i shudder to think.. there's no way he's coming back here. You have to know that if hampy was the one that they traded, the guy who's wife he was fooling around with must have been more valuable to the team.. and if that's the case, there's no way he's coming back. I hope that this is just one of those things, where the caller was mis-informed. I really wish Hampy would come back next year. A rotation of Hampton-Elarton-Reynolds-Lima-Holt/Miller is pretty good. Keeping Dotel in the bullpen sounds good to me, especially if Wags can't come back right away. On a side note... sorry if this is the first time some of you guys are hearing about this... like i said i was shocked the first time i heard it, and don't want to go about spreading "rumors" (i know that's frowned upon in here) but if that did happen, it would certainly explain why we didn't hold onto Hampton this year.... GOD I HOPE THAT IT'S NOT TRUE.....

------------------

16. Dream34

I just read the Houston Chronicle today.

Good editorial article about the Astro's chances of getting Hamppy. To be realistic. I agree with the article that the Astros will need to focus on improving other parts of their team (i.e. shortstop, third base, bullpen). Last but not least, resigning Jeff Bagwell.
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bb/626575

------------------

17. BobFinn*

I don't know about 3rd base. Truby looks pretty good so far.

------------------
    ---George Carlin

18. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Truby is doing pretty good at 3rd base. I went and saw the game at Enron Sunday when he hit that grand slam and had 6 RBI's. He looked good on defense too. What we need, is some good relief pitchers, one good starter, and we need to re sign Bags. Lugo is doing pretty good at Shortstop and he'll get better.

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

19. Dream34

Let me start by saying how sick was that watching Derick Bell tie the game with 2 outs in the 9th. And to top it off he hit that homer to straight away center against Dotel. That made me want to puke...

desihooper,
    I heard the same rumor about Hampton. I read about it on Astrosconnection.com. I think those guys are very legit. So I would put some merit into this rumor. I just wonder whose wife it was. It could not be Bagwell or Biggio as those two still stay in touch with Hampton. Very interesting....

Bobfinn and Rockets R'US:
    Regarding Truby at 3rd Base. Granted he has had two good series. But the man still has alot to prove. He is definately getting his chance to prove himself. I hope he takes advantage of his opportunity and lands the third base job. Hell just keep Camanati on the bench next season until the playoffs roll around. That way he does not injure himself and provides the Stro's clutch hitting during the playoff's. The man is the only one that seems to be able to hit during the post-season for the Stro's.

Almu,
    That's what I thought man. [​IMG] I'm from GA originally and my mom is a diehard Brave's fan. So trust me I have gotten to know the Braves real well. I bet your glad they just locked up Chipper for 6 more years at 90 million. WOW!!! The Braves definately do not need A-Rod. That youngster Furcal is going to an All-Star in a few years. He is just 19 years old. Man the Braves are just a class organization. They have done what it takes to stay on top by constantly making all the right moves. What I like about them is they are always (and I mean always) trying to improve themselves. Although they should have won more World Series in the 90's. They are definately a dynasty in my book.

From what I hear A-Rod is nicknamed Shea-Rod by his teammates. I think A-Rod is headed for the Met's. They can easily afford to pay him the big bucks. I wish he could end up in Houston but that is just wishful thinking on my part.

But you know that is what pisses me off about MLB. The rich get richer while the poor teams get screwed. I really feel bad for small market teams (i.e. Twins, Brewers, Expo's). They have no chance of competing with the likes of the Yankee's, Met's, Dodger's, Brave's. There needs to be some kind of collective bargaining agreement that puts teams on a more even playing field.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Titan's fanatic!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dream34 (edited August 08, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Dream34 (edited August 09, 2000).]

20. dc sports

dc sports Member

:grin:

After the last couple of seasons, there are a couple of Astros I'd like them to just wrap up in bubble wrap, and take off the shelf when we need them. Cammy, Alou, Biggio....

------------------
    Stay Cool...

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited August 08, 2000).]