1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ted Cruz suspends presidential campaign [CNBC]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crash5179, May 3, 2016.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Berkeley Hills is apparently the place to spend under $2m on a decent spread. Eventually, I feel like real estate prices will swallow anything connected to BART if it hasn't already.

Oakland's not bad--got a very Brooklyn feel from it. And there's some awesome food there.

SF is pretty madhouse when it comes to real estate, but I don't think you can beat the people/food/things to do here to be fair.

#61 Northside Storm, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

don't go too high up though...wild fires risk

3. Northside Storm

So, Tuesday?

yeah, it's a bit wacky. I think SF has a lot of quirks to it and a lot of malaise which I find surprising, but I'm betting the extreme income inequality has something to do with it.

I do like most things about the city though so I wouldn't qualify it as a hellhole by any stretch, but it has rough edges.

SF has become a playground for the rich, similar to Manhattan--I don't think there's any saving the situation. But other cities might see it as a cautionary tale, and there are only so many playgrounds that can be built.

If memory serves, you're teaching physics right? That's plenty more important than what goes on in most corners of the Valley. I wouldn't conflate monetary value with actual value--the long term benefits of foundational scientific research are almost innumerable. Part of the problem is I think the $$$ are pulling too many good thinkers. A lot of work out in the Valley underfits human potential. IMHO.

A lot of the money is made fitting engineering solutions to the science, but with no science...

4. Northside Storm

will keep that in mind

:(

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

LOL

Delusional.

You get power in the Senate two ways.

1) Being liked or able to broker deals

2) Seniority

Cruz is a universally loathed first-term Senator.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

brilliant answer:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Its assholes like you who throw around that term without any context that makes political discourse so bad.

1 person likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Since it's a way more interesting issue than Ted Cruz, here' s some more thoughts:

1. The self-satisfied navel gazing "WHY ERRYBODY BE MOVING TO THE LONE STAR STATE THEN HUH CUZ WE GROWING LIKE WILDFIRE " line should have been retired in 2014 when it was still valid.

The collapse of oil prices in 2015 caused job growth rate to drop by more than half from 3.6% to 1.3% - that is less than the national average of 1.9%

https://www.dallasfed.org/assets/documents/news/releases/nr160112phillips.pdf

Obviously the major culprit here is oil prices, though it's a testament to regional diversification that the result of an oil crash in Texas is just slow growth rather than a complete collapse, as occurred back in the 80's.

2. Talking about old regional divides is also oversimplifying things - "WHY IS ERRYBODY MOVING HERE FROM DECREPIT EAST COAST/MIDWEST" .

it' a correct assumptoin that old industrial parts of the midwest, east coast , South etc that are not reinvented as services/technology hubs are losing population - but it's kind of laughable to portray them as a faceless regional grouping - it's like pretending all Texans are dipshi-ts like Ted Cruz or Greg Abbot or Dan Patrick or Rick Perry. Buffalo might be losing population/growth etc....but it's pretty silly to group it along with Brooklyn as a generic "east coast" bit of decrepitude.

If anything the story of the vastly unequal growth of the last 3 decades or so has been the vast concentration of wealth, which tends to be in "mainstream" urban centers, New York, Los Angeles, Boston, SF, Seattle, Chicago, Portland, Miami Houston, Dallas, Austin etc - while "midsized" urban centers previously focused/dependent on manufacturing that haven't reinvented themselves, think Rochester or Birmingham or Flint or Gary - have had a much tougher go of it.

The divide now isn't urban vs. rural, it's a superclass of mostly larger urban cities vs. every other population center (smaller cities not located near the major ones and deep suburbs/exurbs)

One of the differences between Houston and Dallas (but not so much Austin anymore) and the previous group of fast-lane growth cities is that there was a sufficient amount of urban space that cjould support new development and still remain affordable (and in particular, geographically convenient) for somebody relocating from Louisiana, Mexico or Florida or whatever, partly due to supply and partly due ot less restrictive land-use laws than you'd find in San Fransisco or New York.

#67 SamFisher, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You can say it. He had an abortion.

9. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I feel kinda bad for Ted now....I mean look at this lmao.

Trump supporters are impressive. So polite, clean, respectful, and educated. Trump better keep a spot open in this cabinet for this guy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mvzcX4GQEHY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

He's making his move...watch out Heidi...

[​IMG]

He's giving her the knockout punch he couldn't give Trump.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I like how he keeps biffing her, over and over and over... ;)

13. Rashmon

It never gets old because it is so representative of Cruz in a nutshell.

14. NewRoxFan

... probably pent up resentment, her being his "beard" and all (not that there is anything wrong with that).

15. NewRoxFan

16. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

The first thing is, he forgot that you should never get into an argument with an idiot, they always bring you down to their level. The second thing is that he is such an idiot himself that he probably never knew that.

17. Rashmon

Here's Heidi today...

[​IMG]

Don't it make your brown eye blue...

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Their family has had enough indignities. Whatever her brown eye endures is their business. :(

19. Buck Turgidson

Sodomy is sinful, so you know they don't go there. Well, she doesn't at least.

20. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

You think this is bad, you should see her grill after he makes her put on the dildo face harness for another one of his 'Mommy' sessions.