1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RealGM] Finding Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theDude, Jul 21, 2014.

1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

Hope he shows more of the bursts from last season. Also hope he ups his defense.

3. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the article. I still feel as though Jones will be moved in a deal to acquire that 3rd star that Morey covets but if not then I do think he has an opportunity to thrive as he improves his play next to Howard.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He needs to develop a reliable jumper, improve his free throw percentage and get a lot better on defense.

I haven't heard any thing about him at all. Is he working out?

5. basketballholic

This part

assumes we are going to the lottery.

#laughable

6. kyrie Dwight

kyrie Dwight Member

If tj can play some d on the best power forwards in the league he will be a very solid player. Maybe all-star later on In his career

7. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

The main thing i could ask for improvement from jones or dmo would be defense.

8. arjun

arjun Member

Terrence Jones has a very weak core. He definitely needs to get much stronger and improve his jumper

1 person likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

IMO Jones would be better served trying to become a SF than pretending to be a PF. I mean, he's a tweener that could go either way, but I'd rather him be a big SF than a small PF. Sure he'd have to learn how to shoot and get a lot better at defense, but I think his future would be a lot brighter if they went that direction with him.

10. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

TJones didn't show himself in gym this off-season. He is one of main reason why we lost to Blazers last season.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think Jones has good basketball instincts.

12. Lando19

Lando19 Member

Time will tell
    ZzZ

13. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

His numbers are a result of playing along side Howard. That's it. Unless he develops a consistent shot and/or learns to box out and quit ball watching, he probably won't be with the team after this season. I guess that also depends on if the Rockets can get anything of value for him.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't get the idea that Terrence Jones is some sort of undersized tweener. At the draft combine as a 20-year-old, he measured 6'9.5'' in shoes, 252 lbs in shoes, with 7.7% body fat in shoes, 7'2.25'' wingspan in shoes and 8'11'' standing reach in shoes. His size is comparable to that of Kevin Love and Blake Griffin.

http://search.draftexpress.com/profile/Terrence-Jones-5708/
    http://search.draftexpress.com/profile/Blake-Griffin-1268/
    http://search.draftexpress.com/profile/Kevin-Love-1062/

He also rebounds and blocks shots like you'd expect from a PF. He wasn't very good on defense not because of his lack of size but because of a lack of experience and defensive skills.

15. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

Thank you

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Chandler Parsons is 6'10 but that doesn't mean he could be a PF if he gained 20 lbs. Only part of Jones' terrible defense was because he had no idea where he was supposed to be and was constantly out of position, part of it was him being just too small no matter what he measured in at.

17. Zergling

Zergling Member

Rebounds and blocks like you'd expect? Sure, if you're expecting mediocrity (and certainly below average among starting PFs).

Just among PFs, his rebound rate wasn't even in the top 30 among qualified PFs. Jeff Adrien on the other hand, was ranked #6 in this same category.

With TJones' terrible midrange and 3pt shooting, Adrien's beastiness on the boards, and D-Mo's superior range, I would not expect Jones to be on the Rockets roster by the end of the trade deadline. Only question now is if Jones and others are being packaged to get a star or is he part of a transaction to set them up to get a star?

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

In what world is someone just under 6-10 and over 250 lbs too small?? Jones is simply not that interested in playing defense unless he can swat it. There is no way a guy with his size and athleticism would be so poor on D. In every sport, playing good D is about attitude and want to.

In any event, the most interesting thing in the article was proposing that TJ take on the Lin role off the bench. He would need to improve his passing to take advantage of his elite ball handling skills to really maximize his effectiveness as a creator/scorer off the bench.

19. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

bigs in the NBA have a higher learning curve

:gasps:

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In the world where big PF's easily dominated and shoved him around. I get that there are other reasons he's terrible defensively, but I don't get how anyone could have watched him in any game where he was up against any of the bigger PF's in the game and not thought "Damn, he's way too little to handle ______". He doesn't have the strength to prevent being shoved around, he doesn't have the length to challenge their shots. I mean, sure he'll pick up a random block every now and again, but it's not against PF's in the post, it's usually against guards taking 3's.

His size is a whole lot like Josh Smith with maybe a bit more bulk, he's a super athletic SF-PF tweener....at least at this point in his career. Fortunately approximate size is about all those two have in common.