1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

real fans?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tnopham, Apr 29, 2005.

1. tnopham

tnopham Member

i was at the game last night and although most of the game was exciting, the 4th quarter was really painful to watch. i think it was jvg that said in an article that the alot of the real fans sit at the top in toyota center. i couldn't agree more. not to say that there aren't any hardcore fans down at the bottom, but when i was sitting in my seat(upper bowl) i noticed before the game the bottom was almost empty while the top was full. even at the start of the first quarter. and with 2 minutes to go everyone on the bottom started to leave. a guy a few rows over was screaming at the people down below "WHERE ARE YOU GOING!?"

all while watching those people leave i look around at the top and everyone is still there. it just makes me mad to see people give up so easily. and how do you think our beloved rockets feel when they see their own fans giving up on them? the sad thing is they only see the people at the bottom leaving because they're closer.

the point of this thread? i was one of the unfortunate people who left with 1:10 left in the san antonio game when tmac performed his miracle. i hate to hear people talk about it because that was the one and only time i've ever left early and look what happened.

so what do you guys think? is it fair to say the fans up top are more devoted than most(NOT all) at the bottom?

2. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i know that for a fact the fans up top at both the summit and toyota center the fans are much better. if i can't get the sweet season tickets row 9 mid court from my cousin who's boss has them i get the cheap tickets up top and the fans are just better. i'm not saying all the season ticket holders and the all the people who get the expensive tickets are bad fans but 90% just sit there and don't even cheer. it's ridiculous and sad. why even spend that much money to sit there like you were watching in on tv?

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

4. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

houston fans are getting a bad rap. just face it, theres just not a whole hell of a lot to cheer about when the opponent goes on a 20-0 run.

5. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

If we blame the lackluster energy in the lower bowl on those fans being boring, lame corporate types; then why didn't the lower level of Minute Maid Park during last years Astros playoffs have less energy assuming that corporate types have season tickets with the Astros too? The lower level of Minute Maid Park looked pretty into the Astros games and I would consider basketball to be a faster flowing game that keeps you pumped up. Maybe only the most rabid Rocket fans have a connection with the current team. Who is left that was on the Rockets playoff team from last year? All fans are not created equal and some fans may still have question marks about this team. Letting the other team score 20 in a row will take the life out of most crowds.

My watching of the game came with some interruptions, did JVG call any time outs during the 20-0 run?

6. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

The worst part of the game was watching half the lower bowl crowd leave with over 2 mins left and the Rockets down by only 7 points. I understand that it’s a week night but common it’s the freaking playoffs. I was sitting in the upper deck and most of the crowd was still there and almost no one left till the age actually ended.

I am glad that everyone on 610 has been ripping the crowd because sadly (most) Houston fans deserve it.

7. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Man I was sitting at the top too. I had on my T-Mac Jersey, face (war) paint, red hair dye, and was killing my set of lungs screaming the ENTIRE game. I did NOT sit down once during the game. As a matter of fact because I was so enthusiastic, I was lucky enough to be selected for the cingular cell phone scramble during the second quarter.

When I was on the TC floor, just before I went out there for the cingular thing, looking at all the fans in the lower bowl it made me realize just how much of a discrepancy it was to see how fans in the upper bowl and fans in the lower bowl behave. The fans at the top are rabid dogs compared to the executive bunch near the floor.

It made me sick to see them all walking out on the Rockets with 2 minutes to go. It also hurt me to come back to the BBS and see that the fans at this game were being bashed for sucking when I was there giving it all I had to cheer them on.

P.S. One of the guys we were with got so into it that when Wesley hit a 3 he jumped up in the air and nearly fell on the row in front of us.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you could definitely see a lot of empty seats on TV near the least 5 minutes of the game. that's pathetic.

9. updawg

updawg Member

I was expecting more out of the crowd considering we just won two on the road in Dallas. Hopefully sat will be better

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The bottom line is that half or more of the lower seats are filled by the rich and corporate boosters.

If you see someone with a hot date, strike them out in a blowout or non-important game.

Suits? Out.

Bunch of middle aged men in casual working attire? Out.

No beers? Out.

It's not the ticket pricing, but the attitude of the city in regards to sports.

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Yeah, like in the lakers game the first rows are full with celebrities who arent a true laker fan (except for Jack Nicholson) and only go if the lakers are winning.

12. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I don't know, Diane Cannon is sure at a lot of Laker games. She might be offended at not being mentioned with Jack.