1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate My Shot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by nemac, Dec 22, 2011.

1. nemac

nemac Member

I play ball casually, and recently took a couple of vids of myself to see what my shooting form looks like. Realized I'm sorta leaning into my shots a bit which looks odd to me, not getting any lift (but better results this way) and don't have a consistent follow through each time. What do you think, and tips?

Also, post your shot! Thanks! :grin:

2. nemac

nemac Member

Also, should probably post the vid, lol.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bLnkJ2st018" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

...SCK?

2 people like this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Mods, please move to NBA Dish.

4 people like this.
  5. Wilford_Knows

Wilford_Knows Member

Needs work brah.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Right handed shot, left handed footwork.

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Your basic fundamentals aren't too bad, I like that you set your feet (albeit the wrong ones) and have your shoulders squared. I'd look to see you hold your follow through a bit longer.

Most important thing is practice. You need to repeat your mechanics and really build muscle memory so that you can do everything faster, in terms of both setting your feet and speeding up your release (as your release point is a bit low). I know in the vid you're shooting by yourself and going at about 25% intensity, but when you practice you really want to be able to get the point where you're shooting at "game speed", while maintaining good fundamentals. They say practice makes perfect, but the truth is, practice makes habits. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Keep working hard. :)

#7 dharocks, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Forget the shot, talk about them sick dribbles.

I say move it to the GARM instead.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If you want to improve, I highly recommend practicing jumps shots. Not set shots. Jumping at least 12 inches on every practice shot (unless you're practicing from 3 range), not only makes you harder to guard, but it will improve your vertical by 6 inches, too. guaranteed.

1 person likes this.
  10. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

It's kind of Adam Morrison-esque. I mean that as a compliment. The shot looks fine and effective, I don't know why people are hating. I do agree with trying to get a bit more elevation though.

11. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Need more lift

12. arjun

arjun Member

you shoot just like luis scola...and you look like him too

13. IVFL

IVFL Member

+1

When you move into a shot as a right handed shooter you foot work should go left right, not right left. Otherwise it puts your body off balance on the shot and can cause problems. Try spinning the ball to yourself and hopping to the ball when you shoot. If you feet dont hit the ground at the same time they should be staggered left right.

cant really see your hand placement on the ball, but the form looks fine.

14. SunsRocketsfan

hmm I think your shot needs a lot of work ... not because of your form factor but that you couldnt make MORE THAN 2 SHOTS IN A ROW!!

at least that was what your editing told me :)

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This. I keep thinking that if I was guarding OP, most of his set shots would be blocked.

A set shot is usually only good if you are 3 feet behind the three point line (and thus unguarded).

Repeat after me .. dribble ... square ... elevate ... release ... follow through.

16. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

You seem like a lazy fella.

17. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

like others have mentioned release isnt bad but your footwork is not allowing you to actually get a good jump and throws your balance off, making your shot inconsistent.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's a weird looking basket

and you look like SCK

and you have a good shot but no lift

You should try dunking

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

So...
    How is this shot ever going to work in pick-up games?
    Too slow and no lift lol.

20. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Certainly not textbook form, but for a tall and lanky guy, an overhead shot can make you tougher to guard. If you're comfortable with it, don't change it.

As others have said, you should work on getting more elevation. It may be easy to shoot with just your arms when you're 15 feet away, but if you're not using your legs then your shot will become drastically less consistent as you move farther out.

I've used a drill in the past called "pick ups" where I place the ball on the ground, walk toward it and pick it up, and then go straight into my shot. Because you're rising up from a lower position, it naturally encourages you to get your legs more involved. I suggest taking 15-20 of these shots at the beginning of a shoot around. After a while it should start to positively effect the elevation you put into your normal shot.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LAh21alvdrU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#20 ClutchCityReturns, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011