1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post election predictions ? what do you think will happen?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IBTL, Sep 21, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What indictments from Durham do you think will have an impact on the election?

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nope

On June 16, 1992, Weinberger was indicted on two counts of perjury and one count of obstruction of justice. Bush pardoned him before his trial. Robert McFarlane, Reagan’s national security adviser, was convicted of withholding evidence, but after a plea bargain he faced two years of probation before Bush’s pardon came though.

Bush also pardoned Elliott Abrams, the assistant secretary of state, who was convicted of withholding evidence and received two years’ probation; Duane Clarridge, a former CIA senior official, who had been indicted on seven counts of perjury and false statements; Clair George, chief of CIA covert operations, who had been convicted on two charges of perjury and had yet to be sentenced; and Alan Fiers, chief of the CIA’s Central American Task Force, who had been convicted of withholding evidence and sentenced to one year’s probation.

IBTL likes this.
  3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Ford granted a complete pardon for Nixon before Nixon had been charged with anything. Pardon read that it was for any and all crimes that Nixon may have committed while in office without specifying. He then testified in front of Congress that it wasn't quid-pro-quo and the pardon was allowed to stand.

Of course, Ford justified the pardon by using a 1915 Supreme Court case stating that the pardon was an admission of guilt. I'm not sure Trump or Pence would feel the same way and would likely challenge any further indictments.

IBTL and B@ffled like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Interesting.

I need to read more, thanks.

IBTL and RayRay10 like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Welp I was wrong.

A federal pardon can be issued prior to the start of a legal case or inquiry, prior to any indictments being issued, for unspecified offenses, and prior to or after a conviction for a federal crime.[12] President Gerald Ford's broad federal pardon of former president Richard M. Nixon in 1974 for "all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974" is a notable example of a fixed-period federal pardon that came prior to any indictments being issued and that covered unspecified federal offenses that may or may not have been committed.[12]

IBTL, arkoe, rocketsjudoka and 2 others like this.
  6. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

This has to end with trumps head on a pike. That gluttonous orange traitor has to pay for his lifetime of crimes against the union and its people, so hopefully we’ll never have to go through something like this again. Trump needs to be made an example of to restore faith in government.

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

It’s going to be up to NY to take out the garbage.

IBTL, Reeko, RayRay10 and 1 other person like this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Trump wins in a landslide, collecting an astounding 96% of the popular vote and carrying all 50 states. Whiny libtards will make baseless accusations of election fraud, but William Barr will make sure they're in jail before they get a chance to blow up any of the soft targets on their hit lists and we won't have to hear from them anymore. Trump and Trump Jr after him will succeed in removing most of the undesirables from the country despite all the efforts by our Deep State conspirators and foreign enemies. We might not be as wealthy or as influential as we once were, we might have some hardship to endure, some reduction in quality of life or increases in morbidity and mortality, not to mention global warming and attendant disasters, but the struggle will be worth it to deliver the greatest nation to our grandchildren even if we're not around to see it.

Meanwhile JuanValdez will get a job in Sweden where he will doubtless be brainwashed into believing it's the US that is the shithole country.

IBTL, arkoe, Corrosion and 6 others like this.
  9. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Just to be fair...the pardon could easily be challenged, especially if the pardonees don't admit guilt afterwards. Would likely take another Supreme Court challenge to decide the legality in a case like that.

IBTL, FranchiseBlade and jiggyfly like this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Technically correct but ...
    There was concern that Weinberger could flip and implicate both Reagan and Bush (who were likely lying their asses off about the whole matter). The other Iran Contra pardons (between Bush re-election loss and leaving office) were for others who had not flipped, so I am unsure how likely flipping Weinberger would be. Either way, Bush was pardoning to cover his own ass exposure, as well Reagan's.

12. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

This is the kind of **** that just blows my mind...how can anyone listen to that and go, man, I want that guy to lead my country.

TWS1986, IBTL, arkoe and 3 others like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Biden gets over 300 eCollege votes and wins easily and while Trump whines and tries to stay in power, he will find that those that supported him really don't - just want to stay in power themselves and leave him to the NY attny general wolves.

DD

IBTL and Ubiquitin like this.
  14. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Sarcasm... I'm an optimist. If Biden wins, I'll make due. I am worried that between the primaries and today the Dem. platform has gone from moderate to FAR left. I believe we need at a minimum two parties, preferably more, to balance each other out and keep America centered.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

How many times do we have to sit here and read about you being wrong.......OMG......

j/k - I'm just returning the fodder.
    A person that is willing to admit they are wrong gets my respect in any situation. That being said, I still respect my wife... I have to live with her.

TWS1986 and IBTL like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was thinking that was the case but was too involved in other debate to address that.

Anyway any Presidential pardon only applies to federal charges. Trump still has potential charges in the state of NY and no matter what Pence or even Biden does NY doesn't have to follow.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump is saying the quiet part out loud...

IBTL, Ubiquitin and RayRay10 like this.
  18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump will lose the election but declare it fraudulent and have the Republican legislatures of Arizona, Michigan, PA, Wisconsin, Florida, and North Carolina ignore the popular vote and hand him the electors.

This is what he is discussing. If it happens, there needs to be intervention.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Unless someone wins by a large margin, on election night, this thing will be tied up in the courts for months.

It's likely when we go to bed Trump will have a small lead with much left to be determined.

When we wake up, it will be a toss-up.

When we go to bed again, Biden will look to have a slight lead.

This election and the partisan rancor about fraud, impropriety, and interference will make 2000 look cute in comparison.

For the sake of the country I hope that whoever wins does so in a landslide.