1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phil Spencer on the Future of Xbox: Upgradeable console

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JeffB, Mar 1, 2016.

1. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Phil Spencer announce during a media event that the future of the Xbox console will probably resemble that of tablets, smartphones, and PCs and Steam machines.

#1 JeffB, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  2. 713

713 Member

I bought an xbox one last november for fallout 4. Beated the game in January and haven't turned it on since. Kind of disappointing on the game selections for this new gen.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Upgradeable consoles that support mods in game using x86 architecture?

It's almost as if you should just buy a PC.

1 person likes this.
  4. conquistador#11

what's the best affordable graphics card for the pc? now that I have a mrs everything has to be salarycap'd .:p

5. JeffB

Supporting Member

At the very least, the new Xboxes would follow the "upgrade" model we find with smart phones. Maybe we will see yearly console revisions and gamers just upgrade whenever they are ready. That would be simpler than mods, though more expensive, too.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Mods meaning modding the game. Not hardware.

7. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I applaud the thought because I particularly like this quote:
    "It also looks likely that the Xbox One will become more PC-like with backwards compatible hardware upgrades in the future."

What I like about the idea is that older games would remain playable on the current platform for a long, long time. I loved that Sony had backwards compatibility for PS1 in the PS2, and continued that with PS3 being able to run PS1 & PS2... until they summarily ceased that, and are now trying to sell our old games back to us (seriously, screw you Sony).

But still, it quickly leads to questions like: just what is the frequency of these updates? If you update the hardware every... let's say 2 years, then there would be a certain quantity of developers who would make games that were supported only by the latest update to the console. Whereas part of the point of a console is a guarantee that when you buy one, every game for that platform will be playable. Maybe you could get around this by saying "ok, we'll do frequent hardware updates, but new games must be able to run on the previous 2 hardware iterations"?

8. JeffB

Supporting Member

My bad. Yeah, mods would be nice. :grin:

9. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Yeah, offer a lower graphics setting for the older versions.

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Just buy/build a pc. SSD and a legit gpu on pc is much better use of your time and money...

11. JeffB

Supporting Member

But form factor matters for some people. And not a lot of PCs come in small and sexy packaging. Being able to dock the device in the TV console is a big deal. I know for the Mrs. it matters. She doesn't want a "big box" sitting on the floor next to the console she picked out.

May not be as big deal when the new platforms from Intel, Nvidia, and AMD are released this year. From what I understand, those should better facilitate smaller PCs than current offerings.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If this plan pans out, and it is not integrated in an amazing, super easy, ridiculously dumbed down, slick and affordable way - it's DOOMED. It'll be on the shelf in a museum next to KingCheetah's HD-DVD player and Tinman's Atari Jaguar.

It alienates console gamers while not even catering to PC gamers.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude, I was so convinced that the Jaguar was going to be THE next big thing back in the day. It made me so sad that no one wanted it.

14. Salvy

Salvy Member

Love all the nerds saying "Just build a pc" Some people don't have time or patience for that nonsense...... I rather pay $700 for a console with lesser graphics than pay $600 for slightly upgraded graphics and a butt ton of of problems. I can go home and relax to a couple min of play vs having to worry about my drivers/memory/hardware...... Noobs

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, bull****. It's not the ****ing 80s

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

A lot of people were.

The Dreamcast is a good instance of a company trying to do something the audience doesn't necessarily want.

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

Butt ton of problems? As someone who never built a PC before last summer, it took minimal effort to build one.

There's countless of websites where you just pick your parts and it will tell you if they are compatible with one another. Print out that list and you can literally go to micro center, hand it off to a rep, and they will put everything in your cart along with discounts.

For the assembly part, if you had trouble with this as a kid then you're out of luck.
    [​IMG]

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I presume you've never gotten a PC error where you were like "WTF, where'd that come from"?

Or have to deal with software/OS updates that cripple various applications and/or compatibility issues?

Of course a gaming-only console will feature less problems... because its only designed to really do a singular thing (within that singular gaming-console specific OS)... doesn't mean its "better", but its less of a hassle/more stable than most PC platforms evolve into.

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, this could be issue with wife factor... It's possible to build a lot smaller setup now but it can take a bit more effort vs a big box etc. And unless you're careful can sometimes sacrifice performance, but it's definitely headed that way

20. Salvy

Salvy Member

I never said it was impossible for anyone to build a PC... Anyone with a little bit of common sense and the ability to read can easily put it together.... Some people don't have the knowledge or desire to have the knowledge on computers enough to actually put together a parts list..... And to build a gaming computer its a lot more than throwing a bunch of random parts together. But do that.... Put a bunch of parts together and your game will look worst than PS4 and Xbox One....

On top of that PC tech changes so often that whatever you build today will not be suited for the games of tomorrow unless you are investing in really expensive hardware. Some people have the time to mess around with game mods and graphics cards and so on.... Some don't.....

If Xbox/Microsoft can innovate an easy upgrade system to their consoles I think its a great idea...... This allow the casual gamer's to play when bored or after work while the nerds can swap whatever they want in order to achieve that maximum fps and 4k experience.......