1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

one question about big YAO

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by orien, Mar 18, 2003.

Tags:
  1. orien

orien Member

i think big yao cannot be told as handsome. but he is quite good looking as a man.

i am chinese, so may i have different taset of that. how do u guys think?

guys, come in, and tell me.

:D

2. dafatha00

dafatha00 Contributing Member

3. houstoncart

houstoncart Member

From a female perspective I dont find yao attractive. I find Vince Carter and Allan Houston FINE though. : )

4. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

No offense, and just let you know, the question itself and the way you are asking it is considered gay in this country.

I am gonna answer you anyway. Yao looks OK. For a man, the most important factor in looking is not the way their parts are arranged on their face, but how he presents himself. The way he talks, his facial expression and attitude are more important than the pure look. Example: Jordan looks only ok, but the way he carry himself as a leader on the court makes him the envy of all men.

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

As a male I really can't tell, but I can say he doesn't give nightmares :D

6. RocketfanfromLA

If a male fan told you that Yao is handsome. I am sure some other guys will ask whether he is a gay. :D :D :D :D

7. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

Yao Ming's not good looking IMHO.

8. orien

orien Member

i am a female.

not a gay...:D

9. orien

orien Member

:D ...but i think MJ is good looking man in aferica american. kobe is also good.
    SHAQ .... ..... nightmare.

10. Skip To My Loom

I look like Yao. And I'm single too, Orien ;)

11. china-ricky

china-ricky Member

Have to say, u 'll find 90% or more guys on the street are looking better than Y.M. As an oriental, he's of the rest 10%. But as such a giant as he is, he 's not bad.

12. proteuskim

proteuskim Member

Probably because they aren't comfortable with their own sexuality therefore they have to put on an extremist facade in order to hide their homoerotic thoughts.

To answer your question. Yao isn't ugly. Sam Cassell is ugly.

13. proteuskim

proteuskim Member

As an "oriental" ? Have you taken any Asian Studies classes?

We are "Asian" "oriental" is the label given by the Western Caucasians. This stems back to the slave owners seeing Chinese as only property.

14. orien

orien Member

let me check cassell's face again.:D

15. orien

orien Member

no ya...cassell is not ugly...oh...brandley is ugly...:D

16. orien

orien Member

AH is better than VC.
    IMHO:D

17. munco

munco Member

I've been surprised to find that there are definitely some girls out there that think Yao is very handsome. My ex-girlfriend thinks he's a total stud and this woman I work with does also.

My ex-girlfriend says he has a really strong chin, yet his mannerisms and facial expressions are really cute.

Well, Rudy says he's handsome...
    "Look at him. He's 7-5 and an athlete. Plus, I think he's pretty handsome, too. "

Rudy T. Wednesday in Indianapolis, responding to the question about what the Yao hype is all about, 10/30/02

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/11/28/SP102483.DTL
    <<YAO MING proved himself early on Wednesday night, and not with his nine points in the first quarter. He held a news conference before the game, and he was adorable. There really is no other word for it. The kid is absolutely adorable.

Ten years ago, that wouldn't have been enough. That nagging question But can he play? would have loomed over his career. Today, we can skip the legitimacy test. It barely matters.

If Yao isn't the next Wilt, he can be the new Anna Kournikova. If female fans can expand the NBA market, Yao is the answer. He has sex appeal, which might be more useful to the league than an inspiring turnaround jumper.

Of course, the NBA's power mongers won't admit this. Officially, they wanted Yao here because he is 7-foot-5, and he can play, and the league wants the best employees it can get. A little less officially, they wanted him because he can help the NBA go global.

The Warriors were ecstatic to have him come to Oakland with the Houston Rockets on Wednesday night. He gave them a marketing tool, a hook for the huge Chinese American population in the Bay Area. They hyped his arrival by sending their mascot to San Francisco's Chinatown and by printing up fliers in both English and Mandarin.

They should have targeted women of all ethnicities just as aggressively. They could have done a swing through the Castro, too, but I'd guess that Yao's leading demographic would be straight females, teenagers, twentysomethings, middle-aged women, old women.

Because Yao is only 22, a little discretion might be in order. After all, we can't have grown women openly lusting after a youngster as if they were, for example, the grown men who openly lusted after Kournikova when she was still jail bait.

So for now, let's stick with the safe teeny-bopper description of Yao's charm. He's soooo cute.

Consider his take on Arvydas Sabonis, who recently blocked one of Yao's shots: "I think I need to eat more, because he is very strong."

Or his answer to a question about his new understanding of America: "The most important word I've learned is traffic."

Or the way he explained what he will give thanks for on his first American Thanksgiving. He understood the question as it was posed in English, before it went through his interpreter, 28-year-old Colin Pine. With a playful smile, he pointed to Pine, who lives with Yao in Houston. Pine posed the question to him in Mandarin, and again, Yao smiled and pointed to the translator.

There are some misconceptions about Yao. One, despite the need for a translator, he does speak some English. He can even pull off colloquialisms.

"I'm a student, all right?" he said before he ventured a few sentences in his second language, at the request of a TV reporter.

Also, he is not as skinny as he appears on TV. The camera is supposed to add 10 pounds to an average person, but the process works in reverse for Yao. In person, he has some ripple in his biceps and sturdier legs than Shawn Bradley or Allen Iverson.

Even the traffic comment requires further explanation. Yao doesn't actually drive, not yet. In Shanghai, according to his translator, he didn't need a car.

A bicycle and cabs sufficed. In Houston, where everything is still strange, Pine drives him around.

Imagine that: a No. 1 draft choice in a men's professional sports league who doesn't own a car. It's just one more thing that makes him different, and that's what the NBA needs, because the league has gone terribly stale.

There is no one with the charisma of a Michael Jordan, the elan of a Julius Erving, the exuberance of a Magic Johnson. Kevin Garnett is appealing, but the rest of the NBA alternates between dull and irritating. Kobe Bryant should steal hearts, but his whole act is a Jordan knockoff, and sequels are never as good as the originals.

The sport itself -- minus the Sacramento Kings on a good night -- does nothing to compensate. In the modern era, the NBA is drab and tedious. By comparison, Anna Kournikova's got game.

So does it really matter if Yao can become a dominant center? Well, there's no doubt that he has to be more than a cultural force.

It's nice that some of his teammates, particularly Steve Francis, have tried to learn a few Mandarin phrases. It's noteworthy that, according to Pine,

one of those phrases is: Be more aggressive.

But on his one-night visit to Oakland, Yao couldn't prove whether he can really soar. He could provide just a snapshot, not the big picture. What he could prove was that he has something to offer the charm-depleted NBA, where the highest drama this season was a studio show in which Charles Barkley, Yao's chief doubter, kissed a donkey on the backside.

>>

18. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

are you Chinese, dude?
    by Chinese's standard, Yao certainly looks fine. he's above average among Chinese. heck, i think he looks much better than Jackie Chan.

19. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Yao seems cool and has a good personality that women look for. For asian men my girlfriend thinks Yao is ok looking but she use to think Russell Wong(vanishing son) and Jet Lee(legend) when they were younger were handsome.

20. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Come to think of it Yao kinda looks like Cho Young Fat back in the 70's chinese gangster movies.