1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msn

msn Member

Perhaps Rocket is Drayton's "Plan B"?

....I'll be here all week. :D

2. Raven

Raven Member

Does anyone know if any of the spring training games will be on local radio?

Thanks

3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

790 and 740 should be carrying the games, IIRC.

4. msn

msn Member

790. You will find me today, with a burger and fries, in my truck during lunch hour. It's a spring tradition.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

awesome. can't wait!

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_y...nYcB?slug=ap-astros-clemens&prov=ap&type=lgns

Translation: If you want to pitch, we'll be waiting.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Ahhhh...it's nice to hear Milo's voice once again.

Thank G-d that I work somewhere I can listen to this while working.

8. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

790 is kinda annoying with these commercial breaks during plays... "and a line dri... COMMERCIAL"
    then when they come back its between innings WTF

9. msn

msn Member

No freaking kidding. Been without baseball since October, and those dumbasses can't even time a commercial break right. How long have they been airing ST games again?

Two thumbs down. It happened before the beginning of the first at-bat, even.

10. leroy

Got this from KBME...

11. msn

msn Member

Go with TW or Verizon then. :mad:

12. leroy

AHHHHH! THEY LOST THE 1ST GAME OF SPRING TRAINING! BUST OUT THE TOMBSTONE!

I need to quit even looking at the GARM. :D

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Astros suck. Trade Tmac...err...Oswalt. ;)

14. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I need Richard Justice's tombstone.

15. CHAD444

CHAD444 Contributing Member

i live in arizona i wish they would move here like everyone else is!

16. Buck Turgidson

Clemens done at Spring Training.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&n...r=h&as_mind=28&as_minm=2&as_maxd=29&as_maxm=2

"It's too much pressure with all the reporters there." -- Drayton

"The players need to focus on their jobs and being players." -- Denton

Good move, it's great that he wants to work with the minor leaguers, but anywhere he goes right now is an instant circus. Don't need that.

Drayton adds that they will honor his personal services contract once he officially retires.

17. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Ridiculous. Clemens being there isn't hurting anything. All that talk about a distraction is rubbish.

I don't really like Clemens after he left us to go back to the Yankees. But with the state of our rotation, i'd really like to be able to add Clemens come June. The Astros should be doing everything they can to make Clemens feel part of this team.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

from the chronicle

KISSIMMEE, Fla. – Astros owner Drayton McLane said he would meet with president of baseball operations Tal Smith and general manager Ed Wade today to discuss Roger Clemens’ role in spring training.

“We’ll discuss it today, and then one of us in the near future will sit down and talk to Roger,” said McLane, who told the Chronicle on Thursday he planned to meet with club officials to talk about the situation.

McLane didn't know if the team would make any decisions today.

Clemens was scheduled to throw batting practice to Astros minor leaguers for the third consecutive day, but his presence at camp in the midst of a federal investigation into his congressional testimony has drawn national media attention.

“Creates a lot of attention,” McLane said. “There are good points and bad points. In the 16 years I’ve been involved in with the Houston Astros, he’s the most charismatic person I’ve ever seen. Just his presence changes everything.”

The FBI launched an investigation Thursday into whether Clemens committed perjury when he testified at a Feb. 13 hearing before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee that he did not use performance-enhancing drugs.

Clemens, who played for the Astros from 2004-06, was accused by former trainer Brian McNamee in the Mitchell Report into drug use in baseball of using steroids and human growth hormone. Clemens has routinely denied the accusations.

McLane said that Clemens’ participation in spring training has nothing to do with his 10-year personal services contract, which begins when Clemens officially retires. McLane reiterated what he the Chronicle on Thursday -- he has no plans to get out of the contract.

“I’m not aware of what all is in the contract,” McLane said. “We’ll have to wait and see. To my knowledge, the FBI is just investigating it. That’s a long way down the road, and we’ll have to see what happens and see what’s in the contract and make a decision from there.

“We will always do the honorable and correct thing to do. I’ve never tried to break a contract in my 46 years of business.”

McLane said Clemens is coming to the mini camp this week on his own will.

“That’s not part of his contract because he hasn’t said if he’s going to retire yet,” he said. “He’s certainly not getting paid. There’s an agreement we’ll pay him for the 10 years. He came because Roger’s a baseball player and he’s been doing this for 20 years. He came down here and he’s certainly welcome to come here.”

Clemens’ oldest son Koby, a catcher, is among 41 players participating this week in a minor league mini camp in advance of spring training.

McLane met with Smith, Clemens and his agents Randy and Alan Hendricks in December, and McLane said Clemens told the team he didn’t want to be a distraction.

“He genuinely means that,” McLane said. “He’s a good person with a good heart and he genuinely doesn’t want to be a distraction.”

19. Buck Turgidson

20. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

bourn sounds promising... looking forward to a lot of first to thirds this season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.