1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New blog post on how amazing Jeff Green has been for Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by foggy94, Aug 6, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are missing the point.

It does not matter how Jeff performed anywhere else, it's how he performs in MDA system.

Mike D'Antoni has unlocked Jeff Green, his length, athleticism and skillset is a great fit in Rockets system.

ico4498 and foggy94 like this.
  2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm so glad he isn't doing this for Utah. I thought he would be a okay backup, but he's giving us just as much as anyone outside of Harden and Westbrook. I hope he sticks around for next year.

RustyHarden and D-rock like this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Don’t get me wrong , highly impressed with what green has done here with us . But I’m not sure it’s fair to say “MDA unlocked him”

if you look at pet 36 stats he was also putting up 17-19 pp36 in Boston with rivers and then brad Stevens as coaches .

But there are a couple of huge things Green is doing for us this year that I’m not sure he did as much of in the past . 1) hes shooting better . 2) his attributes as a defender play better in our system. 3) he’s playing with superstars on offense .

the way MDA is using him is brilliant and imo is correct and maximizes him . However , the league and personnel have also changed . Jeff was thought of as a tweener 3/4 , but now in our system he is a tweener 4/5... his speed and (apparently improved) shooting play up . Also he is getting less actual minutes and keeping him fresh / comes in as part of a bench unit so it’s a change-up .

he’s been spectacular and I hope he keeps it up . MDA deserves credit but so does Jeff for shooting lights out and James and Russ for making the game easier for him .

jiggyfly, jch1911, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Another excellent analysis, Nathan. Thanks!

:cool:

fattz, dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jeff has always played wing position for bulk of his career. Only time he played 4 was with Wizards and then only sparringly.

Jeff never played stretch 5 until he became a Rocket.

Credit to Morey and MDA for using him in this unique way.

But also credit Harden, Russ and PJ who pushed for him to be signed.

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

See where it says playoffs? Way to twist words to attack a fellow poster. How did I take an L yet? I’ll like it in a few weeks I hope. Until then hush puppy. That quote proves you’re just an ass.

7. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets third best player is Covington and their 4th best player is PJ Tucker.

Patience likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Get ready to be wrong a-hole.

Its coming.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

@foggy94 - Can you update on adjusted rim efficiency?

11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The ultimate goal is to win a championship, but hopefully you enjoy watching our players along the way even if we don't. Do we need to denigrate our role players because they're not all-stars? If Toronto had fallen to a healthy GS in the playoffs their fans should still have been proud of those players you mentioned.

Players like Green, McLemore, and Rivers are contributing on minimum contracts. Anything they can give us is gravy. If you think Jeff Green sucks so bad would you rather he not be on the team? If so, that's pretty sad. If winning a ring is so important to you maybe you should root for a frontrunner and be happy.

Patience and D-rock like this.
  12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha.
    Ok. The guy said he proved me wrong and I pointed out that he’s giving himself too much credit and hasn’t proved anything. I’m happy for you if his play is bringing you joy. Rockets beating Milwaukee brought me lots of joy. So did the comeback against the Mavs. If I want say I’m not convinced about a player who’s bounced around the league and continue to hold high expectations for my team I think I’m allowed to do so.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Hmm. I disagree about Tucker. I get what he brings with hustle and toughness but I wouldn’t put him ahead of EG. Roco is a tough one. I wonder how the coaching staff would view it but I feel MDA values EG more. Having two playmakers on at all times when EG is healthy.

14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Uh huh. And if I’m not then I’m not a true fan because I’ll be saying I told you so.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

I own my mistakes. I'm not afraid of being wrong.

Just does not happen often.

:D

jcf likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Green is so much more efficient at being the short roller than House.

His 75% rim 3fficiency is astounding.

jcf likes this.
  17. foggy94

foggy94 Member

76.7% within 5-feet now.

I always thought House had the potential, he has the body type to set good screens, he has shown flashes of being able to put the ball on the floor, and he obviously has the athleticism to finish. I think people have been projecting ‘secondary playmaker’ on to him though. He just hasn’t shown it to me. For whatever reason; he’s just not the answer on these specific plays (catching the ball in the middle out of a Harden double). But if Harden is playing with one of Russ and Green at all times you can beat the defense easily.

Deckard, jcf and D-rock like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed! Jeff Green and Russ are unequivocally the most effective in this role.

77% within 5 feet of rim is crazy!!

19. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets defense would collapse without Tucker or Covington. They are both excellent defenders for the Rockets system and there is no one else to replace them or take their minutes. Tucker is a better post defender than Capela and Covington is a plus defender at all 5 spots on the floor.

Don’t be shocked when the Rockets are open to dealing Gordon for defense this off season. They have plenty of offense but are a couple of rotation defenders away from being a top 5 defense. They hope Nwaba can fill one need and then they need a 4-5 that can defend in their system and that can hit open 3’s.

Deuce and D-rock like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

“You found one Jeff Green, I don’t see why you can’t find another Daryl. In my business I buy low and sell high. Now get out there and find us some players... for the minimum... non guaranteed of course.”

jch1911, YOLO and D-rock like this.